Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I just googled my name and found an obit from 2003. Icky, my last name isn't that common for sure.

And yes, my high school classmates of 1975 are dying off. Facebook can be depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Just found out my last surviving grandfather passed away earlier this year, this way.

Was talking to a coworker about family issues, and how I haven't seen or spoken to my father in about 15 years..wouldn't even know if he was still alive, etc (actually haven't seen anyone on my father's side of family in over a decade either). On a whim, decided to Google him, and found out instead Grandpa passed away in January. Yeah...bummer way to find out, but then for someone that hasn't been a part of my life for so many years.....

Old 09-26-2015, 05:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Yes and creepily, it is ex boyfriends who are dead.

I've seriously got five ex boyfriends who are all dead before the age of 30.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
That's what YOU think. My daughter is 23 and she has had at least 5 friends from school die, so far.
Isn't that tragic? There's a Facebook page for our high school In Memory Of.... and it's sadly amazing how many young people have died. Latest one was a massive fast moving house fire, lost the mom (the classmate) and the daughter.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I too am approaching 50 (2 years to go) and yes, I have had this happen.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I always check up on old classmates. The latest though was quite a surprise. He was an old classmate I had met when we were in the 6th grade. We played high school football together, and had developed a great deal of respect for each other. He died of cancer earlier this year. This guy was always very fiery, always engaged in confrontation, and I felt that he might someday kill somebody. Even at 11 years of age, he had a look in his eye as if he wanted to always fight and hurt someone. I always hoped the best for him, because he was a natural athlete and a natural leader. Had he been able to go to college, he could've been anything in life.

After high school graduation, he got involved in selling (and likely using) drugs. His first arrest would come five years later. He was convicted of aggravated battery. He would go on to be convicted four more times for battery, with a couple of those domestic. The last of these convictions came only seven years before he died. He was convicted of six felonies (battery, drugs) in total, and did a fair amount of time in prison. He spent time in a prison that had problems with prison rape, so there was a chance he may have met his match there. His front teeth had been knocked out too, so he didn't have it easy.

Funny how life unfolds because of the choices we make.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:11 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
A few months ago, I searched for an old co-worker and discovered his Facebook page. I had not seen him in almost 20 years.

He posted something every few weeks and mentioned he was starting chemotherapy. One week, there weren't any posts for weeks.

I then Googled his name followed by "obit" and found he had died. This is happening more and more as I approach the age of fifty.

Something similar has happened to you?
In 2014 about 15% of the people I know had family pass or they themselves died. I'm nowhere near 50...

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaNYC View Post
I Googled my ex-husband and found his obituary.
I found the same thing on my ex-husband just two weeks ago, but only a death notice (and a link to his grave on findagrave.com). There was apparently no obituary. He died in 2010, and I just found out -- and he was only 58.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:04 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
It's comforting in a way to know that I'm not the only one who found out about an ex-husband's death on the internet. It happened to me earlier this year. I was his third wife. We'd been divorced for 25 years, and he never remarried. He was 85, he lived alone with his dog, and he died in his sleep on Christmas Eve. His second wife, daughters and grandchildren were mentioned in the obituary, but I was not. That hurt.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
My father has been ?estranged from his siblings ever since his mother died when I was a child. We used to drive cross-country to spend the holidays with his extended family over the Xmas/New Year's holidays until his mother passed.

I don't know why he doesn't keep in touch with his siblings/half-siblings. There wasn't a big fight or conflict or actual falling out. Just a fade away....

Late in life, my father has gone through a lot of loss and personal health problems. He has become nostalgic and tells a lot of stories from his youth, and shows a lot of fondness for his older brothers (who were 8-12 years older). I gently encouraged him to look online for them, as he didn't know their addresses anymore. Personally, I would LOVE to have them in my life again.

Unfortunately, his two brothers had already passed away.... one just a few weeks before.

So so sad.... so so sad...

And then my father refused to "let me" contact their families. He also has multiple sisters/half-sisters that appear to still be living, and he doesn't want to contact them either.

Sigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships