Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Next Saturday night is my 40th High School reunion. After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Moderator cut: edit Page. Enough people with whom I have not been in regular contact have urged me to come. The problems crystallize as follows. Three of my life's closest friends (friendships dating from 1964-72) are attending.

One of the three is a constant tennis partner, and we talk regularly. That one's wife is in remission, but has serious health problems. I don't need a reunion to see him.

The other two out of the three are a different story. These are people I'm not talking to; one since his rude handling of the 1995 and 2005 reunions, and the other for about 10 months (despite his inviting me to his daughter's wedding in May. These are the two prior threads on this individual:
  1. Friend Losses After Family and Job Loss - Draft of "Holiday" Greeting to Erstwhile and Current Friends
  2. Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend
As a matter of principal, I will not make "small talk" with either of these two people until I "clear the air." With the first one, i.e. the one who was rude at the last two reunions, an apology will do. For the second one (the one who the threads here are about) the matter is not so simple. He has often, over the period of our relationship, shut off contact, usually based upon some spurious grievance and then reappeared as if nothing happened.

Should I accept that for what would now be the fifth or sixth such time?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-03-2015 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: FB is temporarily banned in this forum

Old 10-03-2015, 05:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Next Saturday night is my 40th High School reunion. After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Facebook Page. Enough people with whom I have not been in regular contact have urged me to come. The problems crystallize as follows. Three of my life's closest friends (friendships dating from 1964-72) are attending.

One of the three is a constant tennis partner, and we talk regularly. That one's wife is in remission, but has serious health problems. I don't need a reunion to see him.

The other two out of the three are a different story. These are people I'm not talking to; one since his rude handling of the 1995 and 2005 reunions, and the other for about 10 months (despite his inviting me to his daughter's wedding in May. These are the two prior threads on this individual:
  1. Friend Losses After Family and Job Loss - Draft of "Holiday" Greeting to Erstwhile and Current Friends
  2. Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend
As a matter of principal, I will not make "small talk" with either of these two people until I "clear the air." With the first one, i.e. the one who was rude at the last two reunions, an apology will do. For the second one (the one who the threads here are about) the matter is not so simple. He has often, over the period of our relationship, shut off contact, usually based upon some spurious grievance and then reappeared as if nothing happened.

Should I accept that for what would now be the fifth or sixth such time?
You really do brood over these things. I'd have to say, no. You will just ruin things for the others.

It is enlightening that you nurse grudges and decide how the other person should make amends. Life doesn't usually work like that. But since you are still angry, I'd say the reunion would probably just make things worse for you.

Do find a positive thing to occupy yourself with next Saturday. Do something you like doing; don't sit at home and brood. Then you would just be making yourself miserable.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:06 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You really do brood over these things. I'd have to say, no. You will just ruin things for the others.

It is enlightening that you nurse grudges and decide how the other person should make amends. Life doesn't usually work like that. But since you are still angry, I'd say the reunion would probably just make things worse for you.

Do find a positive thing to occupy yourself with next Saturday. Do something you like doing; don't sit at home and brood. Then you would just be making yourself miserable.
I agree. Stay home. Let the other attendees enjoy the night without a black cloud.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I am going to the reunion at the specific request of about five people. The issue is how, short of punching out the other two, do I handle them?

Old 10-03-2015, 06:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Will there be no other people there you can talk to??

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Be adult, nonconfrontational, and polite. It is one evening not a relationship you must continue with outside of the reunion. Enjoy those you enjoy. Ignore the others.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I agree. Stay home. Let the other attendees enjoy the night without a black cloud.
You are stuck in high school drama mode. And now that you've aired your grievances to the rest of the class, all eyes will be on you. Do everybody, but especially yourself, a favor, and stay home.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Facebook Page.

Embarrassing.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:22 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
Either be an adult and be polite and gracious to *everyone* in attendance, or stay home.

It doesn't matter that five people have asked that you be there. If you go with an unforgiving attitude toward some of the attendees, you will create an unpleasant atmosphere for the others.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Will there be no other people there you can talk to??
There will be plenty of people to talk to. When the one whom the other threads are about strolls over to start shooting the breeze about the election, or about Israel, or whatever small talk topic is on his mind, there's going to be a problem.

My intention is to say "I have as much to talk to you about as you did in the last six calls on which you practically hung up on me." And I may add: "You know, one of those calls was when my mother died. You said "before I hang up, keep (a certain date) free for my daughter's wedding. I want you there." I then said "I don't know if you know but Rusty (my mother) died in December." Without saying he was sorry to hear he said "I didn't know that" and then hung up. Small talk doesn't come to the lips too easily at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.