Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM

2,810 posts, read 204,989 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I can't say I Love You to my parents, especially my dad. I just feel uncomfortable saying it. So Do you also have trouble saying I Love You to your parents to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 04:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
I never said it to my my mother and she never said it to me. I think I said it to my dad as an adult, and meant it, not long before he died.

I came from a horrible family though.

Love was literally a 4 letter word. No one said it.

I say it all the time to my kids and partners and friends. And I hug them and kiss them too.

It took a long time but moving to Australia was part of it. People are just more demonstrative here, so it becomes far more natural. You can learn it, just like anything else.

Warmer climates tend to be like that.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:06 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Nope. I wish they were here now so I could say it/ tell it to them just one more time. (RIP)

Last edited by picklejuice; 11-04-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I never said it to my my mother and she never said it to me. I think I said it to my dad as an adult, and meant it, not long before he died.

I came from a horrible family though.

Love was literally a 4 letter word. No one said it.

I say it all the time to my kids and partners and friends. And I hug them and kiss them too.

It took a long time but moving to Australia was part of it. People are just more demonstrative here, so it becomes far more natural. You can learn it, just like anything else.

Warmer climates tend to be like that.
Sadly, this pretty much depicts my experience with my parents, too. Both are now deceased.

I think I said, "I love you" to my mom exactly one time, when I was in my 30s and was having a life crisis. We were on the phone, and I can still feel the horribly awkward pause as she probably tried to find a way to get out of having to say it back to me. She did finally get it out, at which point she was so palpably uncomfortable that I wished I hadn't said it.

I never said it to my dad until he had dementia and was in a nursing home. He had little or no idea who I was. But he looked happy whenever I said it.

I never said it to my older brother until he was dying of cancer. He was able to say it back to me. I will be forever grateful for the fact that even though neither of us was raised to say, "I love you," we both took a chance and said it to each other before he was gone.

My advice is, make the effort and commit to saying it often enough that it becomes second nature and doesn't feel awkward anymore. You will be glad in the end that you did.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,942 times
Yes because I am not accustomed to it. It just wasn't done when I was young.

I feel equally odd when other people say, "Love you," to each other as a substitute for, "Goodbye," when done disingenuously.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
My parents said it a lot so I had no trouble saying it. I do love them but we aren't in contact because of their mental health issues/abuse history.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
For some reason, I can't say I Love You to my parents, especially my dad. I just feel uncomfortable saying it. So Do you also have trouble saying I Love You to your parents to?
Yes, for my father. We are real distant and hardly ever say it. I understand what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I feel equally odd when other people say, "Love you," to each other as a substitute for, "Goodbye," when done disingenuously.
I feel that way too; it's not a word I toss around lightly. Most of the time I won't return that sort of farewell and would say the normal good-bye.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I would have a major issue saying it to my father if he were alive today because I despised his treatment of me. While I generally have no problem saying it to my mother I don't feel our relationship is that deep of love.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 11-04-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 7,417 times
I say those words constantly to my mother. I do though, find it hard to show any sort of emotion to my father. My father doesn't know how to react.

I've only said "I love you" to him, a few times over my life. I suppose that is terrible but that's just the way it is, can't really change it.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,616 times
Nope. It's very normal to me. I love my parents and I know they love me.

I would be very upset if we didn't say it before we hung the phone or were saying goodbye in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships