Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times

Advertisements

So, I have a block of 10 days off this christmas and my original plans were to go somewhere like Cuba or the Big Island etc. However, my GF wants to visit her parents close by (8 hour drive from here) and would like me to come with her...will probably rent a car, stay at her parents for a couple days then rent a hotel etc. and do some hiking/camping etc. the following days.

I think that she should cover 100% of this trip as it's not my idea...I would rather not go to her parents place as that is not my idea of a vacation, I am compromising here because I want to be with her and meet her siblings who are also going to be there.

Who do you think should cover the bulk of this trip - hotel, fuel, rental car etc. I don't think I should as it's not my idea. Both of us make pretty good money but she makes a lot more than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:35 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

I think that she should cover 100% of this trip as it's not my idea
So, if you were going to Cuba or Hawaii, you would cover the costs 100%, since those are YOUR idea?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:39 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
If you went to Cuba or the Big Island, and talked your girlfriend into coming along, how would you split the costs? However you would do it, that's how you should do it on this trip to see her parents.

Have you met her parents before? Or does she want to take you so that she can introduce you to them? If she feels that you are important enough to want to introduce to the parents, that's a sign that you should go.

You don't say how long you've been with this girl. But if this is (or is destined to be) a long-term thing, compromising on vacation destinations comes with the territory.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:39 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
I don't look for this relationship to last very long if you are already keeping score. Normally people compromise and split costs in some manner. If you don't want to go, then don't go. Take your holiday vacation apart.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,385 times
Any way you could talk her into one week and take the next week to go to Vegas and then make it a point that next vacation would be the big island. If your planning on long term with her your showing a very selfish side.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't look for this relationship to last very long if you are already keeping score. Normally people compromise and split costs in some manner. If you don't want to go, then don't go. Take your holiday vacation apart.
Well said.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:58 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
With that thinking I think she should run for hills... away from you.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:00 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
You're thinking of traveling to either Cuba or Hawaii within 3 weeks and you haven't made your travel arrangements yet? If it's about money then I imagine you would be the one paying more.

Otherwise, if you really want to be in a relationship, then you have to make concessions. Don't be all pouty face about it.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So, if you were going to Cuba or Hawaii, you would cover the costs 100%, since those are YOUR idea?
No... it would be a joint idea, I would not go to Cuba or Hawaii if she said she does not want to. And I said I don't want to go to Tahoe, she wants me to come with her. And in essence there are no extra expenses if I tag along since she still has to pay for gas, rental car etc.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't look for this relationship to last very long if you are already keeping score.
She keeps score like crazy and I usually don't. For example: she invited me to this event which costs $30 to see her play but she wants me to buy my own tickets. Yet I bought her $200 worth of christmas gifts, I am taking her out to a restaurant today that is going to cost me in excess of $150, I always drive around locally and pay for gas - that amounts to hundreds of $$$ that she never pays as we go hiking and stuff to substantially far off places. I have never even asked to split gas money even once.

Just the other day I bought her a few beers without even thinking all on my tab, yet she will crib to buy me even one $6 beer!!! WTF? And she makes one and a half times my income! Now you tell me who is the one being cheap?

You guys on here assume a lot, geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships