Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
And in essence there are no extra expenses if I tag along since she still has to pay for gas, rental car etc.

This is true . . . and entirely beside the point. People who like each other and care about each other will support each other, including in tangible ways such as sharing the expenses of a joint trip. People who think only of themselves, won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,213 times
Don't be cheap, it leaves a lasting impression. if you can afford Cuba or Hawaii, you can surely afford to split the gas and expenses on a road trip. This is a petty issue that you will look back on and wonder WTF were you thinking.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
If you don't want to go, then don't go. Take your holiday vacation apart.
See, this is the problem though. If I did that she would be upset so I HAVE to go, I have no choice in the matter and she is unwilling to compromise on going to her parents. So, this does not sound like a compromise. So, if I have to adhere to her plans, which I am doing to keep her happy the least she can do is pay for the trip which she would have to pay 100% of anyway if she went by herself.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
She keeps score like crazy and I usually don't. For example: she invited me to this event which costs $30 to see her play but she wants me to buy my own tickets. Yet I bought her $200 worth of christmas gifts, I am taking her out to a restaurant today that is going to cost me in excess of $150, I always drive around locally and pay for gas - that amounts to hundreds of $$$ that she never pays. She pays for 25%, I pay for 75% most of the time.

It's pretty clear to me that you both keep score. Is this really someone you want to continue in a relationship with?

But that's not what you asked, so I'll modify my original advice and say either split the joint costs 50/50 or don't go. (You should have a long, serious talk with this girl about your future together . . . but do it on the way back home, so you don't ruin the vacation if you decide to break up.)

Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't look for this relationship to last very long if you are already keeping score. Normally people compromise and split costs in some manner. If you don't want to go, then don't go. Take your holiday vacation apart.
^^This.

OP, honestly, it sounds like you're trying to passive aggressively punish your GF for asking you to do something you don't want to do.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 AM

well, in that case let's split everything 50/50, why can't we do that? Then I am ok paying 50% of the trip. If it's going to be 50/50 I want everything to be like that, not just selective things. Even if we go for a hike for instance that requires me to pay $50 out of my pocket in gas then she should pay $25, is that fair?

I don't want to be unfair in a relationship, I am only striving for fairness. However, she has indicated that she will pitch in "occasionally" as it's a man's job to pay. I did this the first few months as I paid for all our initial dates but we've been together for 6 months now and I think it needs to be 50/50.

Her ex BF was a high roller and paid for everything, he even gave her an Audi to drive, an extra car that he had laying around so I think she is just used to this...

Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
This dilemma has absolutely nothing to do with money. It's passive aggressive behavior because you feel like she is forcing you to go.

Look, she wants you to meet her family, so it must be serious. I'm sure the trips we took to see my family were not a whole lot of fun for my husband. But he went willingly because he loved me. Not because I would be angry. I didn't exactly love going to meet his family either. But I did it, and visited several times, because it was important to my husband. Not because he would be mad at me.

I think if you feel this way, you aren't really as serious about this relationship and you pretend to be. That and the keeping score (all those examples were about your score keeping, not hers). It's time to evaluate the relationship...

Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
well, in that case let's split everything 50/50, why can't we do that? Then I am ok paying 50% of the trip. If it's going to be 50/50 I want everything to be like that, not just selective things. Even if we go for a hike for instance that requires me to pay $50 out of my pocket in gas then she should pay $25, is that fair?

I don't want to be unfair in a relationship, I am only striving for fairness. However, she has indicated that she will pitch in "occasionally" as it's a man's job to pay. I did this the first few months as I paid for all our initial dates but we've been together for 6 months now and I think it needs to be 50/50.

Her ex BF was a high roller and paid for everything, he even gave her an Audi to drive, an extra car that he had laying around so I think she is just used to this...
Yep, sounds like you need to have a conversation with her.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Look, she wants you to meet her family
I have already met her parents.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:

Sounds like a conversation to have with your girlfriend, not us.

I think 50/50 is weird, personally. But when I was dating my husband, he made much more then me. So he always paid for things, including trips to see my family. Before him I wasn't in any real long term relationship....3 months max. But usually the guys paid for outings. I'd pay for groceries, movie rentals. I don't know. I can't really remember too well because we never kept a running tally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships