Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 901,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Me, and I'm more than "okay" with it. That's the way I prefer it. After spending many years driving long distance and fighting DC Holiday traffic for the privilege of watching spoiled nieces and nephews shred mounds of wrapping paper in record time, I decided that I'm much happier staying home by myself. I've created a bit of a tradition for myself ... I buy new pajamas for Christmas Eve and put something in the crock pot all night to have for breakfast in the morning. Christmas morning, I work on a new puzzle, watch "Love Actually" and then a couple other movies (this year it will probably be "The Martian" and a TBD musical), then I make myself a nice dinner later in the evening (probably still in the new jammies, to be honest. LOL).
Sounds as though you take the song "Have Yourself a Very Merry Little Christmas" to heart! It also sounds like you will have a nice, relaxing day....some of us have to contend with sisters, in laws, gabby friends, etc. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,986,542 times
I'm usually alone, but this year my son and daughter are also alone! I hope we go for a walk together along the river.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 901,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you're alone on Christmas and dislike it, go to a Chinese restaurant. I understand that a number of Jewish people spend Christmas there; I doubt if they would spurn your fellowship!
Reminds me of this funny Saturday Night Live song:

https://screen.yahoo.com/christmas-j...000000130.html

Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM

666 posts, read 647,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Me, and I'm more than "okay" with it. That's the way I prefer it. After spending many years driving long distance and fighting DC Holiday traffic for the privilege of watching spoiled nieces and nephews shred mounds of wrapping paper in record time, I decided that I'm much happier staying home by myself. I've created a bit of a tradition for myself ... I buy new pajamas for Christmas Eve and put something in the crock pot all night to have for breakfast in the morning. Christmas morning, I work on a new puzzle, watch "Love Actually" and then a couple other movies (this year it will probably be "The Martian" and a TBD musical), then I make myself a nice dinner later in the evening (probably still in the new jammies, to be honest. LOL).
Excellent, that sounds darn near perfect to me.

Yes, but because my SO is deployed. Hope that "counts", OP. Will most likely cook a nice veg meal for myself (can't wait to roast the tofurkey lol), watch a few holiday movies definitely including Love Actually, maybe go for a walk and check out the pretty decorations.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Excellent, that sounds darn near perfect to me.

Yes, but because my SO is deployed. Hope that "counts", OP. Will most likely cook a nice veg meal for myself (can't wait to roast the tofurkey lol), watch a few holiday movies definitely including Love Actually, maybe go for a walk and check out the pretty decorations.
Not sure whether your situation passes muster with the OP, but it does for me.

In our family, Christmas Eve is as big as Christmas - even more full of traditions in fact, and most of them involving kids. My husband is working, for the third Christmas in a row, and for the week before and after Christmas too - so that counts as "alone" for me since my kids are grown and I'll be spending Christmas Eve alone (not Christmas day though). But it will be an adjustment because it will be very quiet, not at all like so many Christmas Eves in the past, filled with the laughter of kids while we make Christmas cookies, set them out for Santa, along with a note and a glass of milk, and then snuggle down in the living room around the fireplace, with the lights blinking and candles glowing, and listen as the story of the birth of Jesus is read from the Gospel of Luke. My favorite part has always been:

Quote:
8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
When I was a kid and we got to that part, I would begin wiggling with excitement thinking about that beautiful sight on that clear night! So I've always loved reading that part aloud to the current crop of kids. But I'll be by myself this year - and I guess I'll still probably read it out loud. I need to. I will.

Anyway, I won't be alone on Christmas Day, but my husband will be working out of state. He's either been out of state or out of the country working more Christmases than he's been home since we got married ten years ago. That's sad for him. Every year we say, "Next year we will spend Christmas together," - and once in awhile we get lucky and it happens. But not this year. And not last year. And not the year before.

In fact, my husband proposed to me over the phone on Christmas Day ten years ago - from off the coast of Africa. I just now realized that.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,679,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not sure whether your situation passes muster with the OP, but it does for me.

In our family, Christmas Eve is as big as Christmas - even more full of traditions in fact, and most of them involving kids. My husband is working, for the third Christmas in a row, and for the week before and after Christmas too - so that counts as "alone" for me since my kids are grown and I'll be spending Christmas Eve alone (not Christmas day though). But it will be an adjustment because it will be very quiet, not at all like so many Christmas Eves in the past, filled with the laughter of kids while we make Christmas cookies, set them out for Santa, along with a note and a glass of milk, and then snuggle down in the living room around the fireplace, with the lights blinking and candles glowing, and listen as the story of the birth of Jesus is read from the Gospel of Luke. My favorite part has always been:

When I was a kid and we got to that part, I would begin wiggling with excitement thinking about that beautiful sight on that clear night! So I've always loved reading that part aloud to the current crop of kids. But I'll be by myself this year - and I guess I'll still probably read it out loud. I need to. I will.

Anyway, I won't be alone on Christmas Day, but my husband will be working out of state. He's either been out of state or out of the country working more Christmases than he's been home since we got married ten years ago. That's sad for him. Every year we say, "Next year we will spend Christmas together," - and once in awhile we get lucky and it happens. But not this year. And not last year. And not the year before.

In fact, my husband proposed to me over the phone on Christmas Day ten years ago - from off the coast of Africa. I just now realized that.
Is your husband still active duty, Kathryn? I thought he was retired (not retired now, just retired).

Old 12-18-2015, 09:52 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,272,018 times
Thoreau wrote "solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness."

We live in an age when solitude is obsolete. Here I am, chatting with dozens, or thousands, online, and it matters not whether I'm in an empty room or a library or a crowded room or walking a grocery aisle with a gadget such as a cellphone or tablet.

In the past, everyone wanted to be home for Christmas, if only in their dreams. Now they always are home, on this planet.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,679,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Thoreau wrote "solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness."

We live in an age when solitude is obsolete. Here I am, chatting with dozens, or thousands, online, and it matters not whether I'm in an empty room or a library or a crowded room or walking a grocery aisle with a gadget such as a cellphone or tablet.

In the past, everyone wanted to be home for Christmas, if only in their dreams. Now they always are home, on this planet.
That's a nice thought. The world has gotten smaller, more cozy and familiar. Places that used to be far-off and exotic -- the Ivory Coast, Bhutan, Buenos Aires, for examples -- might as well be your backyard. I believe all humans across space and time have always been connected, but now that connection is much more manifest.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,656,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
OP this is getting comical

Post after post from peeps talking about their families and spouses.

Alone, people, anyone but the OP, John13, and me, who are ALONE?
I'm alone, too. "On my own" alone.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:23 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,474,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I'm alone, too. "On my own" alone.

I am not alone this year. But, even though I said previously that I had been alone by choice in earlier years, that's not entirely honest. There were a couple of years that I was alone because I felt I had no choice due to circumstances. So, while I'm not going to say that's the same thing, I think I do have a sense of what it might feel like.

Mostly though, I posted here because I can forsee a time when I might truly be alone with no choice.

In the end though, for the people who are truly alone, isn't this also a choice at least after the first Chistmas you spend alone?

I mean looking ahead if I find myself in that sitch, I can either spend Christmas alone as I have several times in the past and make the best of it or I can work on making connections that give me somewhere to go or someone/some people to share it with if that's important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships