Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times

Advertisements

I'm calling BS on this post. Please follow with as why.

The OP doesn't know the entire story.

I live in the land of drugs, South Florida.

Weed goes for about $60 an ounce. It probably is more expensive in NY.

$20 worth of weed would have been about enough to roll ONE joint.

New York State will only arrest you if you have more than TWO ounces on you, that would have been roughly $120.

I don't doubt that it is possible to get caught up in a bureaucratic nightmare in Rikkers, this kid had more than $20 worth of weed on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Do you honestly believe everyone who is arrested is guilty of their charges? ....So...what if the kid wasn't partaking in any criminal activity? What if he was in the wrong place at the wrong time?
but it is criminal activity, because he lives in a state where it is illegal. whether that one case that one time was dismissed is irrelevant, he is engaged in criminal activity.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-19-2016 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
....I think if you are the relative that bails him out he has to go home with you. Do you do it? Relatives may be very hesitant and why? That is why I asked what has been happening at home with him. It may be enough to have everyone afraid of him. I say this because I had a cousin like this. Drugs. In and out of trouble. Parents have a limit, especially if there are other children to protect. It is a horrible horrible thing, but my cousin brought drugs in the house and was violent to his mother and siblings. Robbed his parents and grandparents. And he was connected to bad people that may come around the house and won't stop associating with them. Parents sometimes have no choice to let one go in order to protect the other children. This is after trying over and over again.
this is a great post, thank you for including this view, it is spot on and very relevant

my ex had this happen in his family, one of the cousins had a kid who just got in more and more trouble, and all the uncles were trying to help him, and then he started stealing from the uncles, the grandparents, kicked out of high school. Finally when one of the uncles caught him stealing tools from his metal shop, he gave the kid a choice. He had the phone in one hand and his truck keys in the other, and said either i call the cops and have you arrested for stealing and you will go to jail and no one in the family will bail you out; or you join the military, and i drive you down to the recruiting center right now and you sign up. The family had talked about this and they were all in agreement. The kid didn't want to go to jail so he joined the military. The family was hoping it would straighten him out and he could learn some useful skills and discipline. He lasted less than 2 years and was kicked out of the military, and that was that, he went back to criminal activity and last we heard he was incarcerated.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:23 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but it is criminal activity, because he lives in a state where it is illegal. whether that one case that one time was dismissed is irrelevant, he is engaged in criminal activity.
How do you figure?? It sounds like he was only involved in "that one case that one time"? That case getting dismissed is 100% relevant to the topic!! What if it was dismissed because the kid literally didn't have any drugs on him? Is in, he is literally NOT GUILTY of committing the crime with which he was charged.

So yeah, that seems pretty relevant as to whether the kid "chose" to sit in jail for 4 months, and if the parents "chose" to let a potentially innocent teenager sit there instead of simply bailing him out.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:21 AM

493 posts, read 512,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm calling BS on this post. Please follow with as why.

The OP doesn't know the entire story.

I live in the land of drugs, South Florida.

Weed goes for about $60 an ounce. It probably is more expensive in NY.

$20 worth of weed would have been about enough to roll ONE joint.

New York State will only arrest you if you have more than TWO ounces on you, that would have been roughly $120.

I don't doubt that it is possible to get caught up in a bureaucratic nightmare in Rikkers, this kid had more than $20 worth of weed on him.
I thought I was really clear that they were separate incidences. The parents believed he was because they had found a twenty in his room before.
You can walk around with up to a oz in nyc and just a ticket. I think you can have even more in you home.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:39 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I thought I was really clear that they were separate incidences. The parents believed he was because they had found a twenty in his room before.
You can walk around with up to a oz in nyc and just a ticket. I think you can have even more in you home.
You were very clear on that.
I think the number of subsequent posts referencing the 2 incidents separately and together, and how those 2 incidents relate to one another, has caused a great deal of confusion.

If I understood your posts correctly, there is actually no evidence that your cousin was doing anything illegal at the time of his arrest. Is this accurate?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Quote:

You were really clear. Too many people simply don't pay attention. They see the word "drugs," and it's "OMG!!! OMFG!!! He needs to be guillotined and then burned at the stake!!!"

Old 05-20-2016, 07:21 AM

493 posts, read 512,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
You were very clear on that.
I think the number of subsequent posts referencing the 2 incidents separately and together, and how those 2 incidents relate to one another, has caused a great deal of confusion.

If I understood your posts correctly, there is actually no evidence that your cousin was doing anything illegal at the time of his arrest. Is this accurate?
No. I wasn't really following along with his case. I was told when he was arrested and didn't hear anything about the situation until he was released and all charges against him were dismissed.
From what I understand about the case no they didn't have any evidence against him.

He was in Washington heights when the situation happened. So if your black or white up there its a very high chance you will be stopped by the police. Its a Dominican neighborhood so anyone up there sticks out.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
At least give them the benefit of the doubt.
They gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time, when they found the weed under his bed and didn't call the cops. He abused it, therefore he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt a second time.

Quote:
Its only a ticket in nyc.
If it's only a ticket, why did they arrest him?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
They gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time, when they found the weed under his bed and didn't call the cops. He abused it, therefore he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt a second time.

If it's only a ticket, why did they arrest him?
Except that he didn't abuse it--the video showed that he did not do what the cops said he did. The OP said in her first post that the video absolved him and the kid is angry because his parents didn't believe him. And because they didn't believe him, they let him sit in Rikers for four months.

The cops either thought he did something that was arrest-worthy, or they were abusing their power. It happens. In any case, there was video of the alleged incident and when it was reviewed 4 months later, the charges were dropped and he was released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships