Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times

Advertisements

I think that is what you get if you hang out with someone you don't really like just because you can't think of anything better to do. Now that you have better things to do you want to tell her why she isn't fun to be around?

I guess what I would do is screen my phone calls. We all know with cell phones whose calling now so it makes that easy. Just don't pick up very often when she calls. She may give up and move on to someone else. Another thing to do would be to invite her if you're having a big BBQ or something so everyone can share the burden of listening to her. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Got a strange sense of déjà vu when I read this!

Anyway, I always start working around the house and ask if they want to help. Suddenly, they are the one who have to leave. Works well.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Unfortunatley this is what happens in places like FL where you live, you have mostly transplants and snowbirds who make "fast friends" beause everyone is from some place else. I saw this with my parents who retired to FL. Everyone is very chummy as long as there is no bumps in the road. Once somene gets ill or needs a ride, they're in the wind.
I disagree. We take care of each other in my condo association. We always make sure someone can get where they have to go. If they can't get out we do their shopping for them. We check on certain ones everyday. For some the help is temporary but for others it has been going on for quite awhile. One even talks way too much.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:47 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
No matter how much tact you use to tell her she's a Chatty Cathy, odds are it won't sink in.

Or she may get really offended and go around telling people you're a jerk who was very mean to her.

We have a gal in our complex who, although not a mean person, has a very smothering personality. If you do one thing with her, or take one phone call, she'll hound you to death. It goes a lot further, but I think you the picture.

I tried a one-on-one talk with her about me being more of a private person and not much of a gadabout, etc., and she really thanked me and said she was so glad I said something. Yeah, right. She was okay for about a week, then it started up again. Now I just avoid her at all costs. If she calls I don't answer; if she leaves a voice message with a question for me I answer it the next day or so in text format.

With some folks you just have to keep them at a distance.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I avoid hurting feelings - I don't think I avoid conflict. I told her the other day when we talked that my schedule has changed from what it was when she was here in the spring and that I hope she isn't expecting me to spend as much time with her. That is the truth.

BTW, no she doesn't live with me thank goodness. She owns a condo a few buildings down.

As far as the poster who said just tell her how hard it is to have a conversation with her and ask if anybody has ever told her this I think that is an excellent idea. Don't know if she will come to an epiphany about why she has so few friends but it's worth a shot.
I agree, it's worth a shot. She's probably very nice. My guy is a talker. He knows it. Your friend probably knows it, too. My guy gets his feelings hurt but I can be reasonable and start with "Please don't take this the wrong way" or "I'd never want to hurt your feelings, I do care about you, BUT..." She might take it wrong but after a little while, your words will sink in, maybe after she's back at her place. She will remember your kindness and your gentle words and she will get it. I think you're a good friend for giving it a shot!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
So much good advice. Depending on you and if you really want to develop a friendship is what should be the deciding factor.

She shouldn't be hard to avoid if she is buildings away. You can emphasize in text how busy you are now, and you'll let her know
by text if you have time to meet her and where during her time there. That should be a good hint.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I see you've met my mother. Canadian, hates winter, will talk your ear off.

Jokes aside, maybe just be honest with her. Tell her you really enjoy her company, but it's OK to not be chatty every second. Either she'll then be aware and tone it down, or she'll get into a huff and never speak to you again.

Either way, problem solved.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I avoid hurting feelings - I don't think I avoid conflict. I told her the other day when we talked that my schedule has changed from what it was when she was here in the spring and that I hope she isn't expecting me to spend as much time with her. That is the truth.
You said: Her constant talking is just too much for me.

I think that's the real truth.

I think you don't want to spend any time with her at all but you pride yourself on being "nice" -- which is another way of making sure that no one ever gets mad at you.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
be polite and friendly if you see her and be very busy, no reason to tell someone they are too talkative, unless you are backed into a corner. tell the ladies at the barn to bring a book or an ipod and earphones.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I would call her before she comes down and explain the problem with her tell her she just talks too much as easy as you can. Maybe she doesn't realize what she is doing. My ex-wife was like this it got worse as she got older it was ADHD she got medication and stopped doing it. Her constantly talking was how she revealed anxiety . I googled searched here is a video talks about the issue with ADHD. If your able to talk to her about it maybe she can get some help. Life with ADHD - Help! I Can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships