Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Don't blame God for how they are overreacting. Find a less strict church and join a youth/college age group. Get a new circle of friends established before you do anything drastic.
Definitely do this. You need to see a different side to Christianity. Your parents' church is a cult. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards07256 View Post
Just took the tracker off my phone, parents aren't happy about it they took my license away and told me they won't give my license back unless I follow these 3 rules:

1. No-one in the car but myself under ANY circumstances
2. Only drive between School, Home, Church and Work NOTHING ELSE
3. Turn the tracker back on immediately

I just feel like I need to rebel a little bit, I am going to look into ordering a new license and try to look into the process of emancipation. It's getting ridiculous in this house. A guy I work with told me it's gonna be tough and i'm gonna go through hard times but I need to start pushing back a little bit. I think its the best move right now and I am prepared to go through a very rough patch. They told me as soon as I start following the rules I can start to have more privileges but I never had any privileges to start with. I might request a meeting with a counselor i'm done trying in this family. Should I even go to church services anymore? I want to start pushing back but where do I start?
How many months until you turn 18? Does your state require parents to let their 18 year old child live with them until they graduate from high school? Some states do and some states do not.
If you turn 18 soon and your state does not require parents to continue supporting their child after then you may be out on the streets whether you want to be there or not.

If you are emancipated will you be able to support yourself? Pay the rent & utilities on your own apartment? Don't forget that most places require first and last month's rent up front as well as a security deposit. Also, in many places utility companies require a down payment or security deposit to start up in a new name. Pay your own car insurance? Perhaps, pay your own health insurance and medical bills?

I know a HS senior who checked on emancipation about 25 years ago and at that time it would have cost $5,000 just in attorney's fees. I have no idea how much it would cost today. Maybe $8,000 or $10,000? That is pretty expensive instead of just waiting until you turn 18 in less than a year.

Will you be able to work enough hours to pay the bills and still go to school and keep up your grades?

What about college or technical school? Have you considered how you will pay for that? In the short run having a HS education would be fine, but think ahead to when you are older and want to have a family can you support yourself, a spouse, and few children on a job that only requires a HS education.

At this point eight or nine months may seem like a life time, but when you are 21 or 25 or 30 or 40 it will seem like the blink of an eye.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 AM

22 posts, read 14,127 times
Parents towed my car away last night, went to a friends house to play 2k after work and my phone was dead so I couldn't tell them where I was I didn't get back home until midnight

Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Parents towed my car away last night, went to a friends house to play 2k after work and my phone was dead so I couldn't tell them where I was I didn't get back home until midnight
Hmmm.

I'll give the response that I said when my children told me things like that. "So, your friend did not have a phone?"

"And, your friend's parents also did have a phone?"

"And, your friend's parent's next door neighbors did have a phone so you could call us to say that you would be late?"

Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Don't get locked into a power struggle you aren't likely to win. Just bide your time. You have better days ahead, although you have my sincere sympathy for what you are going through.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:05 PM

22 posts, read 14,127 times
Big changes today:
Friend took me in and I'm gonna see how long I can stay here for

Parents won't give me my car, called police on them and the title is in my name but the cop said they're my parents and they are allowed to punish me so they're not giving me my car

I'm happy for now I'm out of the house and with someone I know that cares about me

Old 09-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
{{{ hugs }}} I'm sorry you are going through this. Hang in there, it will get better.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Don't let this screw up your future, you will have many years ahead of you to use as you see fit. I didn't have it quite as bad as this, but it drove a wedge between us that never went away. Once I was on my own they rarely saw me as I moved away to first to another community, then another state and finally to another region.

If I were going into the military, it would be the Coast Guard, the Navy or Air Force in that order. Nothing that involves marching with a rifle. Try for a specialty that relates to a civilian job for after you get out either after one enlistment or as a retiree.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Big changes today:
Friend took me in and I'm gonna see how long I can stay here for

Parents won't give me my car, called police on them and the title is in my name but the cop said they're my parents and they are allowed to punish me so they're not giving me my car

I'm happy for now I'm out of the house and with someone I know that cares about me
I am glad that you have a place to live.

Perhaps, I missed it, but when are you turning 18?
When are you graduating from HS?
If you are 18 at the end of the first semester of school you may be able to graduate early. In some places that is fairly easy but in other places it would be almost impossible (unless you were immediately starting college, joining the army or something similar).Of course you would miss things like prom & the other end of the senior year activities, but you would be able to start working full time to be able to start to support yourself.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Yes, I am glad you have a roof over your head.

I am thinking that your parents and you are just escalating things, tit for tat. Best to be away for awhile and let tempers cool.

I hope you find out how to get your car back, especially if you are making payments on it.

And, you are to see a school counselor, no?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships