Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

You could start a war. Like, maybe blast music just long enough to wake up the baby in the middle of the night.

When they complain, you could offer a compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 11:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
If she has an HOA they will deal with it. Rude.
She has a supposedly picky HOA. They haven't dealt with it since this neighbor moved in several months ago.

FYI "Rude" =/= "direct." **shrug**

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Call the cops. There may be a city ordinance.
About dog poop in the front yard? LOL

Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You could start a war. Like, maybe blast music just long enough to wake up the baby in the middle of the night.
Tempting, although while most cities don't have laws about the smell of dog poop, most DO have laws about amplified music at certain hours.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Go down to your local elephant store and buy an elephant. Show them that two can play this game!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Go down to your local elephant store and buy an elephant. Show them that two can play this game!
LOL

Only one elephant? The neighbor has THREE dogs.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I think maybe you could talk to the hoa president and see what they have to say . Maybe get the Hoa to write them a notice about the odor coming from their yard . If you cant settle it then maybe one of you will have to move or live in misery for the next 10 to 15 years , which I don't expect would make anyone happy .

Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,340,968 times
I just recently had a similar problem. I contacted the HOA. The HOA is handling it. It's an HOA policy to clean up after your pets. In addition, it's a city ordinance where I live. You also have to keep your pets on a leash. The HOA reminded of that city ordinance too.

I felt badly about complaining, but I'm not the bad guy. Other neighbors clean up after their pets.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca hutapea View Post
Neighbor problem-what would you do?

Perhaps you and your husband should put fragrance in any room in your home. If the smell came in and it will not be felt because of your own room fragrance.
Or it could smell like a dog poo'd in the hydrangeas.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
It's unfortunate when dog owners can't be more considerate with their pets leavings. We are great friends with our neighbors and we maintain a section of our ally next to their house. I had planned on planting a patch of green beans there and I went out back to put up a fence an there was a huge pile of dog mess there. I have two of my own that I pick up after nearly every day and sometimes twice a day, so what's one more pile from an inconsiderate rectum that's rude enough to leave it on my property?

Well this went on for three days and on the third day I just took a shovel and flung it down the ally. Then it dawned on me that it was very unusual for a dog to do it in exactly the same spot three days in a row. Hmmm. Our neighbors, whom we adore were watching two dogs for a week. I wonder? I think so, because after the dogs left the poop was gone. I then went back and cleaned up the rest of the mess.

Not only does it smell but it was feet away from where we grill. Just the thought of the fly landing on that pile and then landing on our food. EWWWW.

Our neighbors mean far too much to us to start a war over something so trivial. It does seem strange to me that you go to all that trouble to pick it up and haul it to our side of the ally, why not put it in a bag and just throw it away????

People do some strange things sometimes, yes even ones we care a lot about, and it's easier to over look their quirks when you're good friends. When it's just the neighbors that you may have to live next to for a long long time, then it becomes a different animal.

Maybe they just don't smell it? Maybe they need a couple of fans blowing the smell back into their open windows? Trying to make someone else feel your pain may take some creative thinking.

I just got a great idea. I'm going to take our car litter container and make our neighbor a container that holds bags for their next doggie visitors. John made one for me and it makes the daily chore a piece of cake. If he doesn't use it then I'll just remove it from our property myself. It's not worth losing good friends over.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'd check on the rules as laid out by your HOA. There might be something in the rules that states how pet feces are to be disposed of. I also think that planting bushes as a buffer between your yards is a good option. I think the HOA will tell you what is allowed, and I can't imagine that you can't plant anything at all on your property, to buffer yourselves from the stink in their lawn.

On the first showing of the house we ultimately moved into, we encountered a backyard literally full of dog feces. The yard was so bad that the dog refused to do his business there, and continually soiled the carpet. I wonder if that might not happen in the front yard of your neighbor's house, if they continue.

This is unsightly and really ignorant on the part of your neighbors. That's why HOAs are useful, and sometimes a pain in the neck. But start there. When you discuss this, don't allow yourself to get emotional. Pictures might be useful.

^^^ This. Try to get pictures that include flies. Gross!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships