Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,828 times

Advertisements

We have been in this neighborhood a little over five years and have always gotten along with everybody. A few months back, a single pregnant woman with three indoor dogs moved in to the house next to us. She likes to let all three dogs go into the front yard to do their business, and then it sits and stinks. She has a perfectly good back yard that she could let them do this in so that we wouldn't have to smell it when we come and go. My husband has mentioned this to her several times, but she hasn't changed her habits. When her baby was born, her parents moved in, apparently to help out. Now they are the ones bringing the dogs out front to do their business. My husband tried mentioning it to her father, and he got angry. He pointed out an indentation in our yard where my husband had to remove and repair a broken sprinkler and said that if he stepped in that hole, he would have to call the police on us. Well, for one thing, if he steps in that small hole, he would clearly be on our property and trespassing, but it was obviously a threat to tell us not to complain about the dog poop stink anymore. When he went back in the house, my husband immediately got some dirt to fill in the hole and had another neighbor that was outside witness him filling it in so he can't pretend that he fell in the hole and try to sue us. So for five years we got to breathe fresh air, and from now on, I guess we have to smell a stink because this family doesn't mind dog poop on their lawn. Any ideas of what we can do since they refuse to be reasoned with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Is there room to plant bushes between your house and theirs? Something that will get nice and tall so you don't have to see or think about those neighbors?

By the way, it stinks just as much in the back yard. My neighbor doesn't pick up after his dogs and we can smell the poop in his back yard when we come out of our front door.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
We have been in this neighborhood a little over five years and have always gotten along with everybody. A few months back, a single pregnant woman with three indoor dogs moved in to the house next to us. She likes to let all three dogs go into the front yard to do their business, and then it sits and stinks. She has a perfectly good back yard that she could let them do this in so that we wouldn't have to smell it when we come and go. My husband has mentioned this to her several times, but she hasn't changed her habits. When her baby was born, her parents moved in, apparently to help out. Now they are the ones bringing the dogs out front to do their business. My husband tried mentioning it to her father, and he got angry. He pointed out an indentation in our yard where my husband had to remove and repair a broken sprinkler and said that if he stepped in that hole, he would have to call the police on us. Well, for one thing, if he steps in that small hole, he would clearly be on our property and trespassing, but it was obviously a threat to tell us not to complain about the dog poop stink anymore. When he went back in the house, my husband immediately got some dirt to fill in the hole and had another neighbor that was outside witness him filling it in so he can't pretend that he fell in the hole and try to sue us. So for five years we got to breathe fresh air, and from now on, I guess we have to smell a stink because this family doesn't mind dog poop on their lawn. Any ideas of what we can do since they refuse to be reasoned with?
I'm not if this is why your neighbor does it this way, but I once had a neighbor who had their dogs only use the front lawn for "their business" so that their children could play in the back yard and they could have picnics in the back yard without worrying about dog poop.

How do they mow the lawn with all of the dog poop just laying in the grass? That was a huge problem for our neighbor.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Do you have an HOA? This is one of the many reasons I prefer to live in an HOA community.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Is there room to plant bushes between your house and theirs? Something that will get nice and tall so you don't have to see or think about those neighbors?

By the way, it stinks just as much in the back yard. My neighbor doesn't pick up after his dogs and we can smell the poop in his back yard when we come out of our front door.
That might be an idea about the bushes, but I'd have to run it by the HOA, because they are quite picky. You would think they wouldn't like dog poop, too.

And yes, while the poop being in the back would stink just as much, we don't hang out in the back at all, so we were just thinking it would be the better spot for it from our own point of view.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
It's not that they "won't be reasoned with." They just choose to do it differently than you do.

There is nothing else you can do. It's their property, and you've asked twice now for them to change their habits. Time to move on and get over it.

FYI When the baby starts crawling/toddling, she probably will change her ways. Unless she never lets the kid walk on the front yard grass.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm not if this is why your neighbor does it this way, but I once had a neighbor who had their dogs only use the front lawn for "their business" so that their children could play in the back yard and they could have picnics in the back yard without worrying about dog poop.

How do they mow the lawn with all of the dog poop just laying in the grass? That was a huge problem for our neighbor.
Lol, I haven't yet been home when they were mowing to see how it would be handled.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not that they "won't be reasoned with." They just choose to do it differently than you do.

There is nothing else you can do. It's their property, and you've asked twice now for them to change their habits. Time to move on and get over it.

FYI When the baby starts crawling/toddling, she probably will change her ways. Unless she never lets the kid walk on the front yard grass.
Easy for you to say. You don't have to smell it!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Easy for you to say. You don't have to smell it!
You can't force them to live the way you want.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:35 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
While I think it's gross to leave piles of poop in the yard, it is their yard and unless they breaking a law, they can leave the poop if they want.

What would I do? I'd stop telling my neighbor what to do with his yard/dogs and offer to clean it up myself if it bothered my that badly.

The hedge idea is a good one..plant a nice hardy hedge and you won't notice a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships