Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:25 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But I still think that the situation in the OP, where you're describing an interaction between a journalist and a subject, falls under the professional spectrum where you shouldn't joke around with people you don't know. He could have just as easily said "Hillary supporter" and would not have sounded dismissive. There's been a lot of talk this morning in the news about how Hillary is shrill, Hillary is cold, etc. (which are typical ways use wording to undermine powerful women,) so people do have their hackles up about sexist language.
I completely disagree. I guess that's the difference. I saw it as a very casual interaction - nothing there at all that I would view as a "professional setting".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I didn't quote everyone I'm responding to, so I'll just voice my overall opinions.

I'm actually a pretty sensitive person, and so I try to be reasonable and monitor my reactions to things sometimes. But I saw the exchange and when I saw her reaction, I practically rolled my eyes. I didn't get the feeling at all that he was trying to demean her, and I wouldn't have thought a thing of it if he had addressed me that way. It just sounded to me like a fun way of putting it.

This "journalist" just goes out on the street for tongue-in-cheek interviews with people. It's comedy-based. He's very friendly and jokes with the interviewees, and is often self-deprecating. And he can take an insult (joke) against himself from others, too. And she was aware of who he was.

And the reason why he asked if she was a Hillary girl, when she was wearing a Bernie t-shirt, is because Bernie's no longer in the race, so he was assuming she was going to jump on with Hillary rather than Trump, which is a logical assumption.

I'm shocked to learn girls/women would find offense at the term "you guys" when addressing both genders. Lol. That's a new one on me. I've heard and used it my whole life.

As an aside, responding to her comment on puberty, most girls go through puberty quite early. The fact that you have, doesn't make you a woman. I don't know many "adult women," depending on the age of consent, who are fresh out of puberty. But that's neither here nor there.
No kidding. We use that in EMAILS for goodness sakes. My BOSS uses it in emails. Jeeezzz...

Old 07-29-2016, 07:36 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed!! Like I said....much ado about nothing.
Just because you're a "cool girl" and don't care what you're called...hey 'yo bi%tch' in a friendly tone from some guy on the street..good for you - that doesn't mean others have to like it.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just because you're a "cool girl" and don't care what you're called...hey 'yo {insert word that is forum censored}' in a friendly tone from some guy on the street..good for you - that doesn't mean others have to like it.
Taking it to an extreme, don't you think? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quite the leap from girl to ... expletive....

*Bold and italicized portion in quotes done by me.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:49 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Just because you're a "cool girl" and don't care what you're called...hey 'yo bi%tch' in a friendly tone from some guy on the street..good for you - that doesn't mean others have to like it.
Answering for myself, and as I mentioned in an above post, I'm not about to let someone talk down to me. And, at 52, I've seen and had to work with a lot of this BS throughout my life. I just don't think it's necessarily offensive every single time the word "girl" is used with a grown woman. I'll take it case-by-case on who's achin' for a verbal smackdown.

EDIT: By the way, I'd feel for anyone who messed with Chessie.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ummmmmm

It takes those of us who saw it to appreciate the idiocy of a woman taking an indignant burn because someone innocently asked if she was a "Hillary girl." At least he didn't try to embarrass her, as she attempted to do to him.

Dour stick-in-the-muds like that dame, and the fool who's running around her campus with a mattress strapped to her back to make a "point" about men, give women everywhere a bad name. The sooner they chuck those chips on their shoulders, the better.

You can stop blubbering and slapping your head now.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So I guess all of those years I've had women say "Hey boys, foods ready" or "Hey boys calm down with that roughhousing." I guess I should have been offended???
Dunno.

Your coach ever say you played like a girl or cried like a girl or insulted you by calling you a girl?

It's not the same thing.

With the lady in the op, I don't see the big deal, though.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
We are all entitled to our opinions. And yes, yes I am a cool girl. Thanks. "Yo bit%ch" will work too.

Although seriously...you are comparing the two?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
I, personally, find it very marginalizing to be called a "girl". I don't like "gal" either. It may stem back to working in an office setting (years ago) where the team members were always referred to as, "Rich", "Bob", "Brian", "Jeff" and "the girls".

In an interview, I don't think it's appropriate.

My girlfriends and I used to call each other, "****" and "'ho", that doesn't mean that it would have been okay for any man to call us as such.

OP: Not sure why you started this thread if you thought that you already knew the answer. Looks like some women are offended and some are not. You can think that those of us don't want to be called "girls" are humorless feminists if it makes you feel any better, but now you know that plenty of women are offended.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I, personally, find it very marginalizing to be called a "girl". I don't like "gal" either. It may stem back to working in an office setting (years ago) where the team members were always referred to as, "Rich", "Bob", "Brian", "Jeff" and "the girls".

In an interview, I don't think it's appropriate.

My girlfriends and I used to call each other, "****" and "'ho", that doesn't mean that it would have been okay for any man to call us as such.

OP: Not sure why you started this thread if you thought that you already knew the answer. Looks like some women are offended and some are not. You can think that those of us don't want to be called "girls" are humorless feminists if it makes you feel any better, but now you know that plenty of women are offended.
I've been here for a ton of years, I have no nefarious intent, I firmly support women's rights I knew some women would be offended, I just didn't think it would be this much.

LOL, me and the SO were watching the interview and when it happened we both turned to each other and gave a "WTF" look because she was surprised too.

It's all good. Like I posted up thread I figured the ratio of upset to not upset would have been slanted a different way. Live and learn.

The one thing that this thread reinforced after all of the sexual harassment training I've gone through for work over the years is that if I ever supervise women I'll bend over backwards to understand all of the right terms to dot the I's and cross the T's and to not make the mistake of calling mixed groups of people 'guys' as that offends some people too apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships