Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And you think the actions of that SA could in ANY way be construed to be appropriate after hearing the "other side?"

I see.
I do, because of this, which is also my experience. The OP didn't just put things back in on the wrong rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I can say with 100% confidence that in my entire life for many decades shopping, working in, and owning retail stores that I've never ever heard of that. Or even CLOSE to that.

Or even SEEN an employee confront a shopper because they put the concealer back in the "wrong spot".

Or even heard of a manager agree that you might not be "allowed back in the store" for that horrific behavior.
Indeed. There's more to this story, we just aren't hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
I think at drugstores, you aren't supposed to open up cosmetics and test them out. But it's not stealing, if you don't leave the store with it.

A store employee has no business following a customer out to their car and taking pictures of them. That's just wrong, period.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think at drugstores, you aren't supposed to open up cosmetics and test them out. But it's not stealing, if you don't leave the store with it.

A store employee has no business following a customer out to their car and taking pictures of them. That's just wrong, period.
That's a fine line. If the OP opened a sealed package, she rendered it unsaleable, and the store would incur a loss.

And, if the employee thought the OP had shoplifted, then there is little recourse beyond identifying them and barring them from the store. Was the employee over zealous? Perhaps, maybe the OP didn't do anything more than show careless disregard for her surroundings.

But, again, something made the employee react that way, and I'm quite certain it wasn't just putting an item on the wrong shelf.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
i tried a couple of different make up concealers at store, I didn't find the color i was looking for and left. Store employee follows me to my car, knocks on my window, I opened it and yells at me stating I didn't put the concealer samples back on its place on top of that threatened me to not go back to the store, I didnt say anything back as I dislike confrontations, employee walks away and stands behind my car taking pictures of my car plate and continues standing right next to me until I finally left.

I called store manager and explained the situation. Store manager tells me that she will have a conversation with employee but she will call me back to let me know whether or not I am welcome at the store in the future due to this incident.

Sorry for venting, I am just frustrated, I got so scared when employee was yelling at me at parking lot I thought I was going to be hit or something worse.
That is TOTALLY unacceptable. If the store is part of a chain, I'd be writing a VERY strong complaint to the national office, with a copy to the regional office, if there is one.

Now, if you made a mess and left the makeup counter looking like a hurricane, I can imagine a clerk being frustrated. But to follow you out to the car and intimidate you like that? Nope, that's crossing a line.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
ME TOO! It's like "Maybe thats not heavy for YOU but I could steer it with my elbows & still hold on to my disabled son (who likes to suddenly bolt from me in parking lots)!"

And sometimes, when my Anemia gets really bad; I might be using that cart as a "rolling walker"!

If I made it to the checkout line with the cart; I want to use that cart to make it to my car.

Thank you, this describes my situation.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Were the "samples" you tried actually set up as sample products, totally separate from new products in packages? (Not all packages are sealed, unfortunately.)

I have observed so many young women opening up new products and trying them (and sometimes using the lipstick because they just need some lipstick-freshening, same with nail polish, etc..
I wondered the same. It seems incredibly odd that you would get such a reaction for trying an actual sample (meant to be a sample), putting it back and trying another before leaving. The manager's reaction makes me think that he/she knows the employee is reasonable or trusts the employee's judgment. Any response from the manager yet?

Two sides to every story-- YEP! We've heard one side here... Are there additional details you neglected to share that might explain the otherwise over-the-top behavior of the employee?

And opening up new product, using a bit of it, and leave it there is consistent with stealing, as you've taken and used a product that you did not purchase. It's a loss to the store. It's not ok.

I agree with a pp that the pic of the plate will likely go nowhere (assuming you didn't actually take product from the store and you were truly using samples). But I'd keep my eyes open, just in case.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post

I disagree. It is stealing if the product is not an official tester. As a prospective purchaser of a product, if I buy something and then get it home only to learn that the product is not fresh and pristine and 100% unused, then I feel cheated. Someone has stolen the product or part of the product that I have purchased.

Now, of course, since so many people are untrustworthy compared to past generations, the only way to be sure products have not been tampered with (tested), is if they are fully sealed.

I used to think that products at high end stores that were behind glass were also OK, until I bought a lipstick and when I got home there was a small toothpick-sized scrape off the base of the lipstick that had obviously been used to let another customer or the seller test that lipstick.

If it's not pristine, it goes back to the store for a full refund and a discussion with the department manager.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:45 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And you think the actions of that SA could in ANY way be construed to be appropriate after hearing the "other side?"

I see.
I think OP is giving us her version of the facts which may not be the REAL version of the facts. You may be choose to be gullible -- up to you

Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
there are always at least 2 sides to every story
Three sides....The OP, the store employee, and somewhere in the middle is the truth about what happened.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post

I called store manager and explained the situation. Store manager tells me that she will have a conversation with employee but she will call me back to let me know whether or not I am welcome at the store in the future due to this incident.
Uhm, what?

The store manager is definitely handling this wrong. When I worked in retail, we were always told not to confront the customers. The following you out to your car, confrontation with yelling on the employee's part plus intimidation with the photographing of your license plate is all problematic. All this just because you didn't put the samples back in its designated place? Telling you that you might be banned from the store BEFORE investigating was highly inappropriate. In this case, you go to the higher ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships