Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:26 PM

749 posts, read 856,581 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in an NP program where students are adults ranging from mid-20s to 40s. During this ethics class, the instructor, who is notorious for having a very laid-back humorous teaching style, divided us in groups to reflect on ethical dilemma cases. Each group would have one member stand up and present the case to the rest of the class. Needless to say that this isn't the most serious class of the program. I ended up being the one to speaking for our group, which I do not mind. As I stand up to present to case this one girl goes "woohoo!". Everybody started giggling and laughing. To give you some background this is the nursing field so 80% of the room is composed of girls, I'm a guy. Another woman was laughing saying "what's going on here!". The "woohoo" girl is this young 20 something and is the "teenagerish" type, often excited, sometimes silly. I kept my composure, laughed a little, and went on with my presentation. After giving it a thought I still don't know what to think of it. I'm not American and don't quite get the "woohoo" thing. What do think it was all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:30 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
I "think" she was making a positive observation in regard you. But, frankly, from the information you've presented I can't be certain. In any case it's just harmless banter.

Rich

Old 11-12-2016, 02:36 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Interpreting that would depend in part on the inflection of her voice. We weren't there. Don't worry about it, and get on with your coursework. If she has any personal interest in you, she'll find a way to make it known at some point. Otherwise, ignore.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:40 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I would think just generally having a good time and giving you some encouragement for your presentation. It doesn't mean much of anything.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Could be a flirty woohoo, but probably just a way to cheer you on and show support. Don't sweat it.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I "think" she was making a positive observation in regard you. But, frankly, from the information you've presented I can't be certain. In any case it's just harmless banter.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would think just generally having a good time and giving you some encouragement for your presentation. It doesn't mean much of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interpreting that would depend in part on the inflection of her voice. We weren't there. Don't worry about it, and get on with your coursework. If she has any personal interest in you, she'll find a way to make it known at some point. Otherwise, ignore.
Good points.

It could have meant anything from "Hey, you have a great body!" to "Yippee! I love this assignment!" to "I'm glad I'm in this class!" to "I just like to yell 'WooHoo' at random times".

Just forget it. It was a positive comment no matter what she meant.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-12-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-12-2016, 03:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I would think that woohoo means GOOD STUFF! YOU GO GUY! A term of encouragement meant to pump you up! Nothing wrong with that!

Old 11-12-2016, 03:16 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I'm currently in an NP program where students are adults ranging from mid-20s to 40s. During this ethics class, the instructor, who is notorious for having a very laid-back humorous teaching style, divided us in groups to reflect on ethical dilemma cases. Each group would have one member stand up and present the case to the rest of the class. Needless to say that this isn't the most serious class of the program. I ended up being the one to speaking for our group, which I do not mind. As I stand up to present to case this one girl goes "woohoo!". Everybody started giggling and laughing. To give you some background this is the nursing field so 80% of the room is composed of girls, I'm a guy. Another woman was laughing saying "what's going on here!". The "woohoo" girl is this young 20 something and is the "teenagerish" type, often excited, sometimes silly. I kept my composure, laughed a little, and went on with my presentation. After giving it a thought I still don't know what to think of it. I'm not American and don't quite get the "woohoo" thing. What do think it was all about?
Woohoo = female version of a man whistling.

She thinks your cute.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:17 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Woohoo = female version of a man whistling.
No. It's not.

For all the OP knows, she could have received a good text, or a cat meme, or any of a hundred other reasons to say 'woohoo'.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Sounds like classroom banter to me, nothing more - laugh it off and forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships