Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I just don't like seeing anyone friendless. I wish I were closer - we'd meet for coffee!

I Googled, and came up with some ideas:
Potomac Newcomers Club: Potomac Area Newcomers Club
District of Columbia Newcomers Clubs: District of Columbia Area Newcomers Clubs, Moms and Dads Organizations, Womens Clubs Directory

You could join the Toastmaster's Club:
Find a Club Results - Toastmasters International

DogLover29 - does your name indicate that you have dogs? Here is a list of dog parks (great place to meet people):
MetroPets Yellow Pages: Dog Parks

How about a Book Club? Metro DC Book Meetup Club (Washington, DC) - Meetup.com

Don't give up. I can tell you're a nice person, someone along the way will wake up to that. In the meantime...WE'RE HERE!
Thanks for your suggestions, I will look into them. I will say, though, that I have joined a lot of different groups since moving here. I have invited other gals out for lunch, dinner and coffee and have had a nice time, but it never blossomed into a friendship.

People are "crazy busy"--though I'm not--and always use that as their excuse. It bugs the crap out of me.

Oh, I've also gotten in touch with a bunch of alums from my undergrad school to get together for coffee, etc. They all seemed so interested in meeting up, but after one meeting, that was it.

Everyone already has their friends. Many people are surprised when we tell them why we moved here--for a change of scenery, and that we moved here not knowing anyone, and having no family anywhere nearby.

I also think that when you're in your early thirties, as we are, and you have no kids, that it's harder to make friends. Most people we meet here in DC who are in their late 20's/early 30's are either single or, rarely, married couples with kids. There aren't very many married couples without kids in this age group. Many single gals don't seem to want to be friends with married gals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I found out that new real friends come slowly but yes having few or NO friend has benefites.

I think each city has its own culture and you should move around until you find the perfect town.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I moved with the last year too... I actually moved from DC. I loved DC, I loved my neighborhood (Adams Morgan). I moved there with some friends from grad school, so I had a bit of a built in network. But I also met some really great people at work. Maybe it depends on where you work, or the type of organization.

Now I have moved to what I consider a tiny, suburban town. Most people here get married when the are 20 or younger, or they have 2, 3 or 4 kids at my age. And when I have met the wives of guys my husband has met, they don't like to get out and do activities I like, such as skiing, biking or hiking.

*sigh* I miss my friends.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,598 times
I'm an outgoing and chatty person, and I enjoy talking with others. At work, I like to chat with the other women but I feel that they're not very interested in me. It's disheartening. I'm tired of always being the initiator.

Today, for instance, I was chatting with one co-worker about her weekend. I always ask questions to the other person to show my interest, because I am genuinely interested. She didn't ask me about mine, and she seemed to want to get back to work. This kind of thing is always happening--I show interest in the other person and it's not reciprocated.

Maybe I need a friend coach--someone who can tell me if I'm doing something wrong when I try to make friends. Though I never had problems making friends in college or grad school, but then again, those were environments where making friends comes easily.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm an outgoing and chatty person, and I enjoy talking with others. At work, I like to chat with the other women but I feel that they're not very interested in me. It's disheartening. I'm tired of always being the initiator.

Today, for instance, I was chatting with one co-worker about her weekend. I always ask questions to the other person to show my interest, because I am genuinely interested. She didn't ask me about mine, and she seemed to want to get back to work. This kind of thing is always happening--I show interest in the other person and it's not reciprocated.

Maybe I need a friend coach--someone who can tell me if I'm doing something wrong when I try to make friends. Though I never had problems making friends in college or grad school, but then again, those were environments where making friends comes easily.
Exactly. I'm a shy person and I hate being the initiator as it is. When the other person doesn't show interest makes it worse.

I move to where I am at a year ago and have yet to make any new friends. I'm shy and pretty much a loaner. I tell myself I am meant to be alone, but that doesn't make the loneliness go away.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
I don't think you should assume you're doing anything wrong - it sounds like you've really put yourself out there and been outgoing and friendly.
I also think that you have the right attitude - okay, you tried - so now what? I don't think there's anything wrong with not having any friends and I would be glad I no longer felt pangs of lonliness.
You sound like a great person to me; I"m sure it's not you.

Personally, I don't have many friends and I've decided I like it! I do what I want, when I want, and I spend my time with the people that I love and no putting up with drama and B.S.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post

Truly, I don't think the problem is you - you don't need a coach. Your co-workers might though.

I have moved around a lot in my life. I'm outgoing too, love to make friends and have a good time. That has been harder in some places than others. It boggles the mind. I'm friendly, don't come on too strong, yet some places just didn't click, and other places (like where I live now) I know tons of people.

Where did you live before you moved to D.C.? Did you come from an area where people are more open and warm? There are certainly regional differences in the way relate to each other. It might take another move for you, to a place where people are as friendly as you are. These people sound like a drag.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Wow! I know it can happen. You know where you notice it? At a Barnes and Noble cafe or a Starbucks. There are a lot of people who go in there by themselves, surfing the web on their laptops, and doing this habitually.

I think people just "throw up their hands" when they don't find people that aren't their cup of tea. This sort of happened to me when I lived for a few years in Nevada, though people at work were cool, there was plenty of opportunity to go to lunch or happy hours with people, but not to the depth where you would want them as good friends. Also, the people I saw around town were NO ONE I wanted to know.

If you think this is tough, try it as a single person. It's even harder.

As for those groups, you might find them kind of THIN. I know that I joined a Toastmasters group in Nevada the brief time that I lived there and there was NO ONE I wanted to hang out with. I've joined Toastmasters in other places, such as in California, and made friends that I still know!

DC is weird. That "rotating door" syndrome there makes it weird if you are tied into the government. If your job is more "immune" from political swings, this shouldn't be happening....I don't think it's you....

Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
DC is weird. That "rotating door" syndrome there makes it weird if you are tied into the government. If your job is more "immune" from political swings, this shouldn't be happening....
Are you familiar with D.C.? Is this how people usually behave there? I'm sure Doglover29 needs insight like this so she knows it's not her.

I know people from the Philadelphia area that moved to California about 20 years ago. They moved back within 2 years because they couldn't connect with people. Said they were friendly at first, but kind of disconnected. Yet, my cousin moved to California about 5 years ago and absolutely loves it. She has tons of friends, a new boyfriend, and her 2 dogs have lots of 'friends' from their dog park too. It's just interesting how different places will work for one but not the other. Believe me, I know what that is like and it's no fun.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:15 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times
DM me anytime if you just want someone to listen.That's what friends are for,especially to listen.You're right about having kids would be a way to meet others, but then you'd have to listen to them whine and cry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships