Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times

Advertisements

I thought you were playing match game with that thread title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You say the CEO at your previous employer used to greet people he encountered in passing? And this one doesn't? That was then, this is now. That's all you need to know.

You sound like you've only had one previous employer, and you're using that experience as a yardstick by which to judge other employers. That's naive and counterproductive. Get used to a new office, new organization, new culture. Be aware that not all CEO's are the same. Like other humans, they're quite varied. Consider this realization as a personal growth experience. And congrats on your new job!

Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 AM

110 posts, read 163,897 times
Went through the same thing at one of the oddest, most soul-sucking workplaces I have ever spent my time at. It was one of those 10-12 hrs a day very stressful jobs, so I would get to work at 5:00 a.m. (3 hrs before my workday started) when there would be one guy and me in the whole office. The CEO would get there around 5:30, walk through the office RIGHT BY MY DESK (which was the first one up in cubicle land), totally ignore me and say hello to the other worker.

I didn’t know if it was because the other worker was a guy and I am female or he had no respect for my position (credit/collections overseeing 10,000+ accounts) or he didn’t like my fashion choices. At first I was taken aback and felt awkward, then I realized a couple of things:

First: A good CEO knows that a simple smile or “How are you today?” creates a positive workforce. Little things they do to show workers they appreciate their efforts will encourage employees to do their best and that is part of a CEO’s job description - making sure they are getting the most out of their employees. Any boss that thinks this is better accomplished with the stick rather than the carrot would be much more successful in a non-capitalistic country.

Second: If I was so insignificant that he did not feel it necessary to acknowledge my presence, then it really didn’t matter what I did; therefore, every morning he passed by I would look up and with a big smile I would boom, “Morning Frank!” Eventually he gave up and would say good morning back. Not only that, this man that cracked a smile about once a month would joke with me on occasion - to the shock of everyone.

Bottom line is: Go in, work hard, be good at your job and conform to the atmosphere as much as needed to survive, but don’t let them change who you are.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You say the CEO at your previous employer used to greet people he encountered in passing? And this one doesn't? That was then, this is now. That's all you need to know.

You sound like you've only had one previous employer, and you're using that experience as a yardstick by which to judge other employers. That's naive and counterproductive. Get used to a new office, new organization, new culture. Be aware that not all CEO's are the same. Like other humans, they're quite varied. Consider this realization as a personal growth experience. And congrats on your new job!
^^^this.

Years ago I went from a corporate office where it was very laid back, no one batted an eye if you came in late, the higher up executives and the CEO were very friendly.

Changed jobs and went to a corporate office that was something out of the 1950s....LOL. It was frowned upon even as a salaried position if you showed up 10 minutes late, they even had an executive dining room that you had to be at a certain level to eat in. Didn't even have casual Friday.

Wasn't thrilled about the change, but many times you don't really know the work environment until after you start.

You adjust or you look for another job.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Not all CEOs are people-oriented extroverts. If the whole management team was like that, I'd be concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships