Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM

10,079 posts, read 7,758,890 times

Advertisements

Have some self-respect. Don't use people. If you do, then your karma is your karma. This person is interested in you and you are leading him/her on. Ask a family member for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:33 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningBritish View Post
And you know for a fact that theyre interested in you.
No, snowflake, it's not ok to take money from someone you're not interested in, despite their interest in you. You can't expect someone to bail you out because of your own inability to provide for yourself.
Why am I knowing that the OP has an EBT card in their wallet while sitting at home on their leather sofa watching Jerry Springer eating lobster for dinner and texting on their iPhone7?

Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
Of course, if they are willing to give it, than take it. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Of course, if they are willing to give it, than take it. Nothing wrong with that.
There is nothing wrong with that if you are a hooker. If you are a normal person with high morals or scruples or integrity then, IMHO, you do not take someone else's money.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningbritish View Post
and you know for a fact that theyre interested in you.
no!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:47 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
Quote:
What if you actually needed the money?
Still, NO!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
Quote:
What if you actually needed the money?
"Do not accept money from a strange man, in doing so you will only increase your poverty".
Book of Isaiah.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
I think the question is a little more complex than is being acknowledged here.

Of course it's wrong to take money from someone you are not romantically interested in, if you mislead them about your feelings. That's worse than simple manipulation, it's a lie. However...if the person in question is actually a friend (and by friend, I mean someone you genuinely like, just not as a romantic partner), AND you have been clear about the fact that they will remain a friend, and only a friend, regardless of any help they may or may not offer, I don't see a problem. You have been honest, and it is then up to them to decide whether or not to help. I also think it should be a matter of accepting help in an emergency, and not just using someone's feelings to get "nice stuff."

This kind of thing works both ways. There are people who will offer gifts or other assistance, even something as simple as a ride somewhere or help with a chore in the garden, insisting that it is simply a gesture of friendship, when they actually expect more. They are, in their way, being just as dishonest as someone who leads another person on to milk them for presents or money or other favors.

I've met lots of people who fell into both categories, as well as people who hung out with certain "friends" they didn't truly like, where romantic interest wasn't even an issue, for the benefits such an association offered, like party invitations, being treated at restaurants, and so on.

The only rules, at least for me, have always been: don't offer help with strings attached, don't accept help from people you don't care about, and never mislead anyone about your motives.

As in most relationship issues, honesty is the key.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Get a job if you need the money..come on, don't act so naive. You do realize that if someone gives you money they are looking for something.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 8,794 times
[quote=TUMF;47938336]No, snowflake, it's not ok to take money from someone you're not interested in, despite their interest in you. You can't expect someone to bail you out because of your own inability to provide for yourself.
Why am I knowing that the OP has an EBT card in their wallet while sitting at home on their leather sofa watching Jerry Springer eating lobster for dinner and texting on their iPhone7?[/QUOTEl?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Sheesh! I am just asking a general question that randomly came to my mind and am very interested in what others think..what is your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships