Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

I'm putting this in Non-Romantic because, well, this relationship I'm in is the antithesis of romantic and this involves employment and moving and kids so it's a mess.

I'll spare you the details of my relationship. I just posted a thread in Psychology that might explain things if you're interested. But it's over.

Geographics: I relocated from the Midsouth to CT to be with him (I'm female). He's self employed and his work was dwindling but he was okay in his trailer he refurbed and was selling. Got a job offer in 8 mo to go to Hawaii. We sold everything to fund the move and stayed a year. Had fun. Got a job offer in Atlanta, stayed a year and a half. Love Atlanta. Got a job offer back in CT and that's where we are now. (Every job has been a step up or a career move, same organization.)

His business has resumed - self employed. He's worked and contributed fairly in all the places we've relocated. I made more so I paid more. He will make it an issue but I know I can prove that my contributions far exceeded his. I won't make it an issue unless he does.

I'm in Clinton CT. I bought a house (in my name only) that he's renovating. (3 small BR, one bath) We're close to being finished with renovations. (he does fantastic work - it's amazing) I work in Groton. (his kids are in Stratford so this was a halfway point) I commute about 32 miles to work. I love my job but there's no upward mobility and I'm about 6yrs away from retiring.

I've got two potential job offers, one in the Niagra Falls area (gorgeous up there and I would have to sell the house) and one in NYC (exciting). He encouraged me to go for the NYC job - it's better money Both would be a step up the ladder. I consider both jobs to be equal career-wise. A year at either one would open doors to another step up. I could commute in to NYC, work a few days, staying at a rented room, then come back to my house and telework (permitted).

My son (23) is staying at our house (he's been here a few months) while he completes an apprenticeship program and pays off some legal fines. All is well. He stays in the guest room and we rarely see him. We give him a ride to work but that's 3 miles away, he has a bike and can bike or walk to work if need be. He does anything I ask him to do to help me around the house.

His daughter (20) needed a place to stay for 6 weeks until she could enter a group facility that would help her get her life on track. (long story with this one) I agreed to 6 wks only because she's in therapy now and seems to be making some progress (finally). I found out last night there is no facility and she plans to just live here. Um...no. That's when it all came to a head. The relationship was already deteriorated and that just blew it to bits.

I always like "if you don't know what to do - do nothing". And that's where I am. I went to sleep last night seething and woke up with clarity about the daughter situation. I agreed to 6wks and that's all I can do. Since I can never finish a thought with him I had to write it down to fully communicate. He has to wake up and read it. Hopefully he won't go postal.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-16-2017 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
What a long bizarre sounding post. We've been together for 6 years. I'm 56, he's 51.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Not sure what you want advice on?

Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Yep, definitely a long bizarre post. Lots and lots of details and I'm not sure where the question is.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
This is going to be a tough one. Your son is allowed to stay but his daughter is not. You won't be around a few days a week to monitor whether or not his daughter does sleep there.

Sounds like it is going to get very messy.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Good luck. All that moving around. You are very energetic. I think you can handle whatever happens. Maybe let the daughter stay there the same length of time as your son. You said he is paying off some legal fines, so both offspring are not without fault. Maybe one more than the other.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:06 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
So are you just venting? If so that's fine but if not what's the question?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
So are you just venting? If so that's fine but if not what's the question?
maybe just wants to know if she is doing the right thing by ending this relationship?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Your son and his daughter and you gone a lot.

Drama.

Anyway, I do have to point out that you seem OK with your son's legal fees (which means he's had legal trouble - does he have a criminal record?). He's only 23 so apparently he sowed some unsettled oats in his not too distant past. And you're OK with him living with you indefinitely.

But not your SO's daughter. That's interesting.

I don't care whose name the house is in. I don't care who has contributed more financially over the years. You are still with your SO and you're both in this together.

And both of you have adult kids with issues.

I'm not OK with the daughter lying about the facility. That's not kosher. How did you find out she wasn't telling the truth? How did you find out that she plans to live with you and her dad indefinitely? What sort of therapy is she in?

There are way too many gaps in this story for me to reach any sort of conclusion on anything.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
no or low load mutual funds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships