Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, you feel it is appropriate to invite a guest, and not their spouse, if it is a small venue?

It isn't.

If the venue isn't large enough for the spouse, don't invite either.
I don't really know. I'm just wondering. I'm really a little bit confused by current behavior and am wondering what's going on. I see a website of "wedding felons", and I see girls hosting their own wedding showers, or mothers hosting their own baby showers, and I'm just thinking, what the hell. This is another one of those what the hell moments, I'm blindsided by people's behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Yep, husband calls the aunt, mistakes can happen. If it wasn't a mistake, well, as a husband i can tell you I would not be going. I don't like going to weddings anyway, sure as heck not going without my wife.
You're the third person who suggested calling the aunt - why? Unless the aunt sent the invitation the questions should be directed at the cousin; no need to beat around the bush and get other people involved.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't really know. I'm just wondering. I'm really a little bit confused by current behavior and am wondering what's going on. I see a website of "wedding felons", and I see girls hosting their own wedding showers, or mothers hosting their own baby showers, and I'm just thinking, what the hell. This is another one of those what the hell moments, I'm blindsided by people's behavior.
And they will continue as long as people of "that generation/age group" allow it to. Sadly, they don't realize or care how rude, inconsiderate, low-class, needy, and tacky this "trend" is. All of us who know better should decline to attend, and when asked why, tell the truth that this is just tacky and unacceptable.

As far as not inviting the wife of 10 years, I have one thing to say....No, No, and H*ll No. Not acceptable at all.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You're the third person who suggested calling the aunt - why? Unless the aunt sent the invitation the questions should be directed at the cousin; no need to beat around the bush and get other people involved.
It's because the aunt is sort of a buffer. If you call the cousin he might just say "oh it was a mistake" when it really wasn't, then OP would feel an awkward vibe. Maybe the bride had a budget and cut down her guest list by omitting OP. Usually the aunt would know the full truth. I'd rather get the scoop that way.

Last edited by Coloradomom22; 05-01-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't think it's an oversight and yes, it is rude.

Hubby should not attend the wedding, nor send a gift, although a greeting card signed "Best wishes from the two of us" would be appropriate, as long as there is no money or gift card inside.

Bingo. They knew what they were doing and it is VERY rude. As a husband, he needs to be as offended as you are, and simply not go. I swear, people have lost all their social graces.

At the very least, he should call them and say "By the way, you do know I am married, don't you ?" It will be interesting to hear how this one turns out.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
No one really knows that this was done on purpose or a oversight. I would assume it was a oversight and have your husband call just to verify .

Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Bingo. They knew what they were doing and it is VERY rude. As a husband, he needs to be as offended as you are, and simply not go. I swear, people have lost all their social graces.

At the very least, he should call them and say "By the way, you do know I am married, don't you ?" It will be interesting to hear how this one turns out.
Yes, I am curious. I don't know anything about wedding felons or what that even means. I have never been invited to a wedding where I wasn't given the option of RSVPing for one or two.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Maybe it's a small wedding and they can't afford to include everyone and their spouse. I am really surprised so many people are up on arms about it.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Maybe it's a small wedding and they can't afford to include everyone and their spouse. I am really surprised so many people are up on arms about it.

Think about this. You and I are married, and I get an invitation to a wedding and go alone. How does that make you feel, and what kind of husband would I be to leave you home alone while I attend ?

My first concern is always going to be my mate, and if they are too cheap to be able to have both of us there, then only invite immediate family.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If they can't afford it, they could handle it more gracefully by going down to the court house and getting married privately.

Excluding a spouse at a wedding screams that you have no business getting married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships