Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 811,511 times

Advertisements

I would love if OP would post the "explicit language", so we can see how open to interpretation it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's hilarious.

Apparently your husband isn't even on friendly terms with the cousin or he would have just picked up the phone and asked. "Dude. Did you forget I was married or wth???"

People are so funny. They act all shady and think it won't be noticed when all they have to do is TALK to the people in advance.

IE If I worked in an office and one of my coworkers said "Look I'd love to have you guys at my wedding but would you be insulted if we only invited you since we're doing it on a budget?" I doubt anyone would be offended.

This whole debate isn't even about the wedding. It's about the reception. And there you have it. $$$

If you can only "afford" to invite one spouse then you can't afford the wedding to begin with and need to scale it BACK.

Same people probably going broke on car payments of cars they can't afford - bet you a dollar.

Way back when, and I paid for my own wedding, I planned the event so that I could afford to invite everyone and their significant others. So we did pit beef, pit ham, salads, fruit, cheese, and an open bar at a local hall, instead of having a meal served in a glamorous venue. Good manners are important.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,150,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Way back when, and I paid for my own wedding, I planned the event so that I could afford to invite everyone and their significant others. So we did pit beef, pit ham, salads, fruit, cheese, and an open bar at a local hall, instead of having a meal served in a glamorous venue. Good manners are important.
My parents did pay for most of my wedding but it was very modest in cost because I didn't do all the over-the-top things I see in weddings today. Of course, Pinterest wasn't a "thing" so I did not know what I was missing, lol.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:10 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:

For my daughter's wedding, she and her mother arranged to have the wedding on Saturday morning in the church (in a side chapel) with the reception as "lunch" right there in the same area. Lunch in the church meant: No bar, dude.

Rather than a cake, there was a display of fancy cupcakes, and a lunch-appropriate plate rather than a fancy dinner.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,486,345 times
A lot of people are saying this has to be intentional, but rereading the OP, the OP's husband's (male) cousin is the one getting married. If the cousin's fiance (or her family) is doing the invitations, that's enough degrees of separation that an error could easily have been made with the invitations. Call the cousin or the aunt and figure it out.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,490,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's hilarious.

Apparently your husband isn't even on friendly terms with the cousin or he would have just picked up the phone and asked. "Dude. Did you forget I was married or wth???"

People are so funny. They act all shady and think it won't be noticed when all they have to do is TALK to the people in advance.

IE If I worked in an office and one of my coworkers said "Look I'd love to have you guys at my wedding but would you be insulted if we only invited you since we're doing it on a budget?" I doubt anyone would be offended.

This whole debate isn't even about the wedding. It's about the reception. And there you have it. $$$

If you can only "afford" to invite one spouse then you can't afford the wedding to begin with and need to scale it BACK.

Same people probably going broke on car payments of cars they can't afford - bet you a dollar.
Lots of assuming going on here...

You assume she was excluded...

It could be that they didn't put 1+1 together.

It could be that He (male cousin) was less than helpful with the guest list. My fiance might say the same about me.

It could be that it was a simple misprint. I had two or three invitations come back from the printer wrong.

My fiance has met some of my cousins two or three times, and she still doesn't always remember who is who. It could be she had Brian (the married one) mixed up with Brad (the single one whose date she didn't want to pay for.)

If she is being rude, its just as likely that they don't have room in the reception hall as it is a money thing.

We went with a strict guest policy, that if you weren't married or engaged, no guest. It ruffled some feathers, but frankly I don't need to pay for someone's flavor of the season to eat, drink and be merry.

It could be resolved with a phone call.

But lets be real, its a lot more fun to turn this into a millennial bashing thread.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,048,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For my daughter's wedding, she and her mother arranged to have the wedding on Saturday morning in the church (in a side chapel) with the reception as "lunch" right there in the same area. Lunch in the church meant: No bar, dude.

Rather than a cake, there was a display of fancy cupcakes, and a lunch-appropriate plate rather than a fancy dinner.
You sir go to the wrong church! My wedding was in a catholic hall.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Maybe it's a small wedding and they can't afford to include everyone and their spouse. I am really surprised so many people are up on arms about it.
Than you simply don't invite the couple.

Surprised? Not if you have any manners you aren't.

If it's a small wedding, than you invite the number of people you can, and leave the rest off.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The reason I think that omitting the wife on the invitation was not an oversight, but intentional, is that they know, when they are filling out that invitation, that he is married. It would be very hard to "forget" to write her name on it too. It was intentionally left off, and , even if it was a cost saving measure, it was done in very bad taste.

However, being the inquisitive person I am, I would phone the cousin and say "Hey, BTW, you left ______ off of the invitation, what's up with that ?" If they say they were saving money or any other reason than they forgot, I would tell them she and I are a couple and I would never attend without her. Cousin or no cousin, it was rude and they need to be called on it.

Agree, hopefully it was an oversight.

If it wasn't, no one should go and no gift.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:51 PM

10,017 posts, read 5,725,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Must not have been a Catholic church.

Quote:
You sir go to the wrong church! My wedding was in a catholic hall.
Even the Catholic wake I recently attended had an open bar. It was slightly surreal... but hey, if you can't raise a glass with your pal when he's dead, when can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships