Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

Made a new friend at work recently and we've been hitting it off. The problem is her guy best friend we work with doesn't like me and it's obvious. Should I just let the friendship go or only plan on hanging out with her outside of work when he's not around? I'm fed up and I don't feel it's in my place to bring this up to her, as it seems whiny, and he's known her longer so she's likely to side with him.

Background: I've been very friendly and nice to him since I've met him; even going out of my way to try to establish a connection since he is ALWAYS with her- basically attached to her hip. But he is consistently snooty, rude, ignoring, forgetting my name, or asking downright rude questions. In front of her, he is cordial so she doesn't see it, but when she's gone he's actually kind of a monster. Is he jealous? wtf?

Personality: When I first met him I immediately knew he was gay, but through being around him have come to understand he's either in the closet or on the down low (he comes from a strict christian background). It's very obvious he's struggling with his sexuality, but Im wondering if this behavior is his way of coping? : I've been nothing but a sweetheart to him and even making sure I wasn't stepping on his toes by "taking his friend away" from him, but he's been a down right bully. I'm fed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Yes, he's jealous and he's acting like a brat. Do not continue to give him leeway and put him in his place if you have to. People like this won't stop until you create boundaries for them.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Yes, he's jealous and he's acting like a brat. Do not continue to give him leeway and put him in his place if you have to. People like this won't stop until you create boundaries for them.
thanks for confirming it @stava ! Im not sure I care enough about him or her to put up with that kind of shenanigans. Friendships are hard enough already, but throwing a confused man-child like him into the situation feels tiresome.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Why would you need to be around him alone? You're friends with her, not him. You said he is nice to you when in front of her so make "in front of her" the only time he is around you.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:16 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahnahnadia View Post
Made a new friend at work recently and we've been hitting it off. The problem is her guy best friend we work with doesn't like me and it's obvious. Should I just let the friendship go or only plan on hanging out with her outside of work when he's not around? I'm fed up and I don't feel it's in my place to bring this up to her, as it seems whiny, and he's known her longer so she's likely to side with him.

Background: I've been very friendly and nice to him since I've met him; even going out of my way to try to establish a connection since he is ALWAYS with her- basically attached to her hip. But he is consistently snooty, rude, ignoring, forgetting my name, or asking downright rude questions. In front of her, he is cordial so she doesn't see it, but when she's gone he's actually kind of a monster. Is he jealous? wtf?

Personality: When I first met him I immediately knew he was gay, but through being around him have come to understand he's either in the closet or on the down low (he comes from a strict christian background). It's very obvious he's struggling with his sexuality, but Im wondering if this behavior is his way of coping? : I've been nothing but a sweetheart to him and even making sure I wasn't stepping on his toes by "taking his friend away" from him, but he's been a down right bully. I'm fed up.
I have to be honest, if you didn't say this was at work, I would swear this was high school. If you can't stand up for yourself as a fully grown adult and can not deal with a "bully" as an adult you have some issues that need to be worked through.

Say something to her, him, whoever, but for god's sake have some self respect for yourself and don't allow yourself to be treated like this.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

This, this THIS. the more you allow this idiot to disrespect you, the more he'll do it. Not that you should even care, but imagine what he says to her in your absence.

Do not hesitate to put him in his place, harshly, if necessary. Almost wish I could do it for you.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:32 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Eff him. I'd kill him with detached politeness/ indifferent when forced to interact, but try to interact more often alone with the new friend.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Why are you making friends at work? I go to my job to work, not socialize. I don't understand how anyone can get any work done if they're screwing around trying to be friends with their co-workers.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:55 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Stand up for yourself. Be firm but no need to be confrontational.

He obviously has a problem acting like an adult, don't stoop to his level.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM

624 posts, read 370,935 times
Here's how i confronted my bully at work because i got totally fed up with her attitude.

Next time he is mean let him know it's a two way street and that if you are mean to him he wouldn't put up with it so why should you?

Thats exactly what i did and the bullying stopped. What difference will it make if you stick up for yourself?

YOU BACK A ***** INTO A CORNER IT'S GONNA EVENTUALLY BITE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships