Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

I have an adult son who refuses to hear me out about how his fiance treats his 3 yr old daughter... he doesn't see it so it can't be true.
She is mean to her, just this side of abusive, the law refuses to do anything about it.
He got engaged to this thing called a woman when she got pregnant now he has this second child she treats like glass... please help, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Can you offer to provide childcare as often as possible, to provide the child with a loving environment?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
OP, you say your soon to be daughter-in-law mistreats your son's child. Is there physical abuse? I'm a CPS worker and under the law, if there is any abuse or neglect, it has to be investigated.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Does this precious child know her soon-to-be step-mother doesn't like her (or realize the lady is "mean" to her)? I know she's only 3, but I'm not sure of the extent of the mistreatment. I would tell the son one more time the concerns, encourage open communications between father and daughter, and just keep loving and empowering the child.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
Does your granddaughter's mother know about this? If she is in the picture, and/or has custody, that would be a good plac to start.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Does your son have full custody of his first child?

there is only so much you can do, if you want to stay in your son and his family's life. Some women can be very accepting of children who are not their own, but if the step childs mother is still in the picture, it can be hard to treat a child like your own.

speak about this with your son, in a way that is not insulting or offensive, like pointing fingers and speculating . There are your rules and their rules, and they will go by their rules.

The most you can do is remind your son that children need all the fun and love they can get, even from MILs. the worst thing you can do is interrogate the child, or dictate how your Sons wife does things. Depending how you handle this situation, you can alienate your relationship with your son, or ruin his relationship meddling too much in his life. Unless you see bruises, or personally witness some harsh treatment by you DIL, be very careful what you say to her.

So what if your DIL treats her newborn baby with so much love an attention. It is Her child is it not?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:20 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I empathize with you.
I persistently planted seeds when addressing legitimate concerns. It was a six year battle. The saying ...Silence breeds consent is sadly one people practice...
I suggest remaining vigilant in your concerns. More kids need a less bias person speaking on their behalf.
I'm not saying to stir the pot...Just keep your comments or concerns limited.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andert91 View Post
I have an adult son who refuses to hear me out about how his fiance treats his 3 yr old daughter... he doesn't see it so it can't be true.
She is mean to her, just this side of abusive, the law refuses to do anything about it.
He got engaged to this thing called a woman when she got pregnant now he has this second child she treats like glass... please help, any suggestions?
If you are seeing these events...record them and show it to him and CPS. If you are not seeing them I must ask how you know?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
My ex husband's second wife was horrible to my son when he was little. It started as neglectful and became physically and emotionally abusive. As his mother, I had a responsibility to my child to keep him safe. I told my husband I would not tolerate her treating my son that way and told him that any time he had to work on his weekends to have my son, I would not allow my son to go. The abuse was taking place when my ex was working and my son was alone with his wife. I also told him that if I caught wind of one more emotional or physically abusive event, I would be contacting CPS and removing his visitation rights completely. She was an evil woman. He was a spineless wimp who allowed her to do whatever she wanted.

My son is now 29 years old and has nothing to do with his bio father.

You need to let the bio mother know (if she's involved in this child's life).

Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
You better be cocksure before reporting her to any authority. We're talking video evidence. Otherwise, you'll never see your son or grandchild again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships