Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 AM

619 posts, read 577,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Oh, ok. So we've got two separate issues in the thread. I agree that indicating that you will attend and then not showing up is rude. But if they indicated that they would attend, then notified in advance that they couldn't after all, it's less than ideal but a bit less rude. At least you had the opportunity to cancel and didn't have you sitting in the restaurant alone.

The other issue being people who belong to the group but don't attend the events. I don't see a problem with this. They're just members "on paper" and not hurting anything. Maybe they're waiting for the right event to pique their interest.
Yes.

I agree that it's very rude to sign up for an activity and then not show up. I especially get annoyed at those who sign uo, send a number of messages to the chat board (questions like what bus goes there, when are we finishing, can someone give me a ride, I'm On my way will see you there) and then never show up. I'm a member of several groups and this seems to be a universal problem.

Now, when it comes to being a member and *never* going to any event, that doesn't bother me. I!I'm a member of several groups that I've never been to. You know, meetup makes suggestions to you based on your original interests. Or as others said, you have to join to see there activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,779,237 times
I have gone to a few Meetup groups, but never organized meetings or anything. I remember seeing the occasional emails sent about the high number of no-shows. So they put rules in place because of the no-shows. I think it is rude if you commit to something and not show up. And no-shows do happen a lot.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm a member of one of the groups but I noticed a lot of people sign up for these groups and you never see them . They never bother to come out to the meetup . I am beginning to think that people use the meetup group as a status symbol so to speak , like they do facebook a lot .I mean the particular group I am in has 86 members but only 3 people come out ? I mean why bother joining one of the groups if you are not going to attend ? does that not seem down right rude ? Do they not consider that it takes time to plan these things ? I mean how do people make friends if you never go to these things ?
I'm getting frustrated with meet-up. Recently I was supposed to meet up at a designated time only to find out later that the group leader started the meet-up earlier (it was a hike) and I missed out.
Frustrating.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,891,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I have gone to a few Meetup groups, but never organized meetings or anything. I remember seeing the occasional emails sent about the high number of no-shows. So they put rules in place because of the no-shows. I think it is rude if you commit to something and not show up. And no-shows do happen a lot.
You know, I keep reading about bad Meetup experiences on here. I must have really lucked out: I had a good number of really great experiences, many OK ones, and only a few duds. Most organizers in my groups are pretty strict about no-shows: do it enough times, and you get booted from the group.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They send you meeting notices and ask you to RSVP. So not replying leaves people who organize things not knowing what to expect.
Huh? Of course they know what to expect.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,891,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They send you meeting notices and ask you to RSVP. So not replying leaves people who organize things not knowing what to expect.
Meeting notices, the standard formatted ones, are just reminders that an event exists. They usually come from Meetup, not from individual group organizers. So there is no requirement, formal or implied, to RSVP to those. In fact, when you don't RSVP at all, a "no" is usually implied.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,413,920 times
Quote:
I'm a member of one of the groups but I noticed a lot of people sign up for these groups and you never see them . They never bother to come out to the meetup . I am beginning to think that people use the meetup group as a status symbol so to speak , like they do facebook a lot .I mean the particular group I am in has 86 members but only 3 people come out ? I mean why bother joining one of the groups if you are not going to attend ? does that not seem down right rude ? Do they not consider that it takes time to plan these things ? I mean how do people make friends if you never go to these things ?
They aren't all like that.

2.5 years ago I joined a meetup group. I went to a comedy show. I met a guy.

I will be marrying him

Some groups are livelier than others. The ones with more members & more frequent events will probably have a better turn out @ events.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:37 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,065,370 times
well heads up to all meetup.com members -

major changes to the website user interface have been rolled out (just visit the site)

... and today they announced they have sold the company to a new owner. So we'll see if remains the free-to-use site I could count on for the past decade+,

or it will change to something that costs money, its popularity will wither and die...

Old 11-29-2017, 09:45 AM

30,262 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Well its much easier to click "join" than it is to actually take part in an activity. Sort of like joining the gym. I do agree the participation rate of the ones I joined over the summer when I was staying in a smaller metro area were disappointing. Took some of the fun out of it.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM

30,262 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
well heads up to all meetup.com members -

major changes to the website user interface have been rolled out (just visit the site)

... and today they announced they have sold the company to a new owner. So we'll see if remains the free-to-use site I could count on for the past decade+,

or it will change to something that costs money, its popularity will wither and die...
It costs money to form a meetup. About $10 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships