Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a great group of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Have you ever known someone who brags endlessly about where they are from and puts down people from other places?

Someone who is close to me does this and its maddening. They are from southern California, and to hear them talk this is the apex of the universe. They do not live there currently and have no plans to go back as far as anyone knows. Which does in fact, beg the question, if its so fantastic, why aren't you there?

Recently another person who is close to me was throwing away some items that could have been recycled and SoCal Sally went on a tear about how this individual "has no idea how much (you) are hurting the enviroment" blaming it on "your backwards upbringing in (small town east coast USA.)"

This caused an argument as I stepped in-- both are close to me and this was in my home. Now there are hurt feelings. It was totally inappropriate.

Anyone know a hometown snob? How did you deal with them?
I had a friend/neighbor who compared everything in L.A. to Ohio. "They'd never get away with [fill in the blank] in Ohio. This [whatever] is so much more expensive than Ohio. That guy in the BMW would never cut somebody off like that in Ohio." I just let him talk -- nothing I said or did was ever going to change him. I don't envision SoCal Sally will ever change, either. You'll probably either have to tolerate her or stop hanging out with her.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
When I first got married and moved to a very small town from s. Ca. I was quilty of that, but I complained mostly to my poor husband. It was such a huge culture shock and was very,very homesick. Lol! I grew up with my mom telling me how much better her state was then California.

Do I still miss California, yes but I miss the California I grew up in and here in the real small town is my home now. Much better since now they sell decent avocados and there is now a Mexican restaurant in town now☺ I live on 20 acres and raised my kids here.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
But that is just the thing-- she is generally NOT rude. In fact, she is one of the more polite people I know. Timid even. Its just this whole issue of where she is from. She definitely feels superior to anyone on the east coast (where she lives now) because of it. I don't understand it.
You don't understand it because perhaps you are trying to convince yourself she's a nice person and she's not. Or she has a really low self esteem and has to put down others to make herself feel better but unless she is willing to admit it or self reflect you are not going to see much change.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
You may be right. The person she lashed out at is very successful in her career and earns a great living-- SoCal Sally is struggling. My other friend from the midwest is also a high earner and she made a big deal of being better than him because of where they were both from. Its her only trump card. But it doesn't really work.

In my social circle, there are a few people who fetishize SoCal-- these are the types that have not traveled much, went there and discovered the beautiful weather. They pump her up a bit because she can talk to them about recommendations for visits or get nostalgic about being there. But the rest of the people she has interacted with in my company are generally pretty lukewarm on the subject and try to change topics if she gets on her soapbox.

I have noticed too that she does things to call attention to her SoCal background-- from suggesting certain music be played to wearing flip flops, telling us the weather in San Diego as opposed to ours or going on about some new raw diet she is trying because "in California people care a lot more about their health than they do here. " There may be some real truth to this inferiority theory. Maybe she feels like that is all that differentiates her or makes her special?
She sounds really effing annoying TBCH. How insufferable.

I would have gone off on her by now.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
We have folks coming into Phoenix all of the time bragging about how much better it is in their old neck of the woods. After a few years they either go back "home" or start to complain about their old neck of the woods.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Had a coworker like that from Seattle, who saw NYC as inferior. I have never Been to Seattle and heard its nice and met others from there who liked NYC. States and cities in the US can be very different from each other. A snobbish person will be like this about things other then a hometown usually.

Said coworker moved back within a year.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
I would say a lot of the bragging is due to being homesick. Op, your friend does sound like a snob. It's one thing to miss your home, but you don't insult people and act like your better then anyone else.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
It could be homesickness in her case. I have a friend who constantly compares everything to where she grew up (Philly). And I actually stopped accepting invitations to another person who is from a European country and disparages everything about our city and the US in general (although she's a hypocrite.)

On the other hand, when you consider how much smug, generalized "bashing" there is on CD against the South/Southerners and the Midwest/Midwesterners, geo-shaming is a real thing.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
People who crow about their hometown, which is truly just an accident of birth are parochial and, pun intended, small-town minded. The very same as people are are snobbish about some fraternity/sorority/college/sports team that they are somehow associated with. The same as hiring someone from your hometown or college, etc. because of a "connection". Totally irrational, but that's how most people are. "I don't know a thing about you except you're from Milwaukee...good people!" ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships