Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

What would you do?

Sitch: You have dear houseguests staying with you for a short time during which you have a standing social commitment on one of the days. It's not exclusive...they could join...but you know they wouldn't enjoy it and if they indeed don't enjoy it it would be somewhat disruptive. Think something like a day-long fishing trip where if they got seasick they couldn't just get off the boat.

Do you insist they come? Suggest politely they don't? Give them the facts and let them decide?

I am facing that and I am inclined to just politely nudge them into realizing they wouldn't like it and that it's totally fine to do something else that day. They're staying for 4 days and this is just a one day event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 05:41 PM

Craep, meant to post this in Non-Romantic...mods move if desired.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
I might skip it that one time, or if it's something you can't miss, explain that and offer suggestions of things they could see and do that day.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I might skip it that one time, or if it's something you can't miss, explain that and offer suggestions of things they could see and do that day.
I agree.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Usually if I have standing longer social commitments and people are coming in for a short visit, I will skip the activity. If it is something short that is an hour or two, then I might invite them or give them some alternative activities they can do while I attend.

If someone is coming just 2-3 days and the social commitment is a full day, I think it is really thoughtless to have a planned visit where the host still keeps that commitment. The only exception would be if that is the only date the other people were willing to come or it was last minute and I had made it clear to the visitors that I had a standing commitment that could not be canceled.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Usually if I have standing longer social commitments and people are coming in for a short visit, I will skip the activity. If it is something short that is an hour or two, then I might invite them or give them some alternative activities they can do while I attend.

If someone is coming just 2-3 days and the social commitment is a full day, I think it is really thoughtless to have a planned visit where the host still keeps that commitment. The only exception would be if that is the only date the other people were willing to come or it was last minute and I had made it clear to the visitors that I had a standing commitment that could not be canceled.
They know we/I have this commitment, it's once a year. While visiting us is one reason they're coming it's not the only reason; they're not like family who we might see rarely.

In my opinion, it's an easy discussion...do something else that day, we'll see you at night. But I'm open to other thoughts if I've missed something.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
If you think they won't like it and would then make it unpleasant for them and others, that's a pretty easy fix.

"We can't wait to see you. We have cleared the calendar nearly completely, except this one day when we're _______. I can suggest things you might want to do that day, or you're welcome to hang out at the house. The other days, I'd like to _______ and _______ and _____ while you're here."

Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you think they won't like it and would then make it unpleasant for them and others, that's a pretty easy fix.

"We can't wait to see you. We have cleared the calendar nearly completely, except this one day when we're _______. I can suggest things you might want to do that day, or you're welcome to hang out at the house. The other days, I'd like to _______ and _______ and _____ while you're here."
That's basically my take on it, thanks.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
It depends on what the guests are expecting. Did they come mainly to visit with you, or are they mainly using your place as a base from which to explore your city, and are visiting with you mainly in the evenings? If they're the independent type, go and do your thing, they'll be fine, exploring on their own. I don't see a problem with that. Especially since you say they know you have this annual commitment.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
This is just weird to me. As a guest, if someone had a previously planned social obligation that they wished or felt obligated to attend, and it naturally would be inappropriate for me/us to join them, then I would insist that they attend that event and leave me/us to our own devices for a few hours. Gawd! There is nothing worse than a house guest that needs to be coddled and entertained the whole time visiting. As a host, I wouldn't feel awkward at all not to invite guests to someone else's event to which they were not invited to. What the hell is wrong with people?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships