Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

Everything is so computerized so it's no wonder. Not much thinking, using the brain out there anymore. I do like my calculator.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-16-2018 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a big box store for a return today. I had paid with my debit and they needed to give me cash back. It was $4 and some change. So I asked the cashier if I could just give her $1 so she could give me a $5 instead.

So she took my one. Then tried to hand it back to me with the change. So I said can you trade this for a $5? She had shut the drawer (and not yet handed me the coins). Then she had to get the drawer open again. Then she got the $5 and put the change back. And shut the drawer. Then finally she got someone to open it again and I got all my change.

Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
...... And that's the way the liberal elites want it. You see, it means lifelong dependency and VOTES

Old 02-20-2018, 09:05 AM

505 posts, read 502,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
...... And that's the way the liberal elites want it. You see, it means lifelong dependency and VOTES
So having trouble with math now equates to liberal elite propaganda?

Amazing.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM

505 posts, read 502,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
From this thread I've come to an epiphany regarding a large segment of the population. There is evidently a deep resentment of basic math, probably related to being made to feel inadequate in school for not being able to catch on at the teacher's pace. Now as adults, people lash out at anyone who dares question their lack of ability to quickly manipulate numbers. I guess I can see it from your side, not everyone will be good at math. But everyone should be able to do basic addition and subtraction without having a fit.
I don't think people are having a fit at the expectation of doing simple math. People are having a fit because some are acting so incredibly superior that they have no problem doing math in their head and don't understand why others can't. Everyone is different, and you're not some intellectually superior being because you can make change in your head and others can't.

Personally, I had a fit over your posts because you said you get a strange sense of satisfaction by humiliating cashiers who have trouble doing math. That's just pathetic.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I don't think people are having a fit at the expectation of doing simple math. People are having a fit because some are acting so incredibly superior that they have no problem doing math in their head and don't understand why others can't. Everyone is different, and you're not some intellectually superior being because you can make change in your head and others can't.

Personally, I had a fit over your posts because you said you get a strange sense of satisfaction by humiliating cashiers who have trouble doing math. That's just pathetic.

Well put! I used to get all A grades but a D in math. I can spell but can't do math. We're all different.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you go to fast food places expecting a home cooked meal? Pretty sure fast food has always been about prepackaged food. Thats what makes it fast.
My post regarding who FF don't cook anymore was to point out FF workers aren't exactly hired for the things that have been discussed in this thread. If the C-D community regards FF employees as "low wage, low skill jobs", then why are we getting so worked up them not being able to do math? They don't need to, as the registers and computers do it all for them. Likewise, my comment is to further illustrate that they don't really cook either. Should we start another topic on that?.
But to answer your question "as is", I don't believe this was always like this. For one, In & Out burger still gets their meat non-frozen, and their fries are still hand cut from fresh potatoes they receive (as opposed to McD where the potatoes are sent to a factory, go through the whole "factory line" and the end product is frozen, and shipped to various McDonald locations. When ready, they heat them up. Another is McD first opened in 1955. My limited research shows the way things are have changed since then, but not seeing anything that says they did NOT use prepackaged foods even when starting off. All I recall was they did have them shake stirring machines, which nowadays, it just dispenses premade shakes.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I haven't read the whole thread - that's my disclaimer. I only read a couple of pages before the top of my head just about blew off.

(MIND. BLOWN.)

OK look, maybe the OP is talking about the apparent lack of ability for most cashier's to "count back" money. I mean, when I was in high school, I worked a Burger King as a cashier, and if someone's total was $6.24 and they handed me a ten and a quarter, I would give them a penny back (from the quarter) and then just go "7, 8, 9 and 10 - there's your change and have a great day!" or something like that. It's not "high math." It's in fact very LOW math. LOL

And hey, if they gave me a ten and a ONE AND A QUARTER (mind totally blown now), it was very easy to figure out that they just wanted a five and a penny back, and they'd often say, "Keep the penny" on top of that!

But honestly, it seems like it should be even easier today - couldn't most cashiers just type in "Eleven dollars and twenty five cents" and get an exact readout of how much change they should give back?

I do know it frustrates me to see that counting back change - such an easy skill - is apparently a lost art now. Oh well. I don't know about the rest of you, but personally I think there are much bigger issues in our world today.

Like people driving slow in the fast lane.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't read the whole thread - that's my disclaimer. I only read a couple of pages before the top of my head just about blew off.

(MIND. BLOWN.)

OK look, maybe the OP is talking about the apparent lack of ability for most cashier's to "count back" money. I mean, when I was in high school, I worked a Burger King as a cashier, and if someone's total was $6.24 and they handed me a ten and a quarter, I would give them a penny back (from the quarter) and then just go "7, 8, 9 and 10 - there's your change and have a great day!" or something like that. It's not "high math." It's in fact very LOW math. LOL

And hey, if they gave me a ten and a ONE AND A QUARTER (mind totally blown now), it was very easy to figure out that they just wanted a five and a penny back, and they'd often say, "Keep the penny" on top of that!

But honestly, it seems like it should be even easier today - couldn't most cashiers just type in "Eleven dollars and twenty five cents" and get an exact readout of how much change they should give back?

I do know it frustrates me to see that counting back change - such an easy skill - is apparently a lost art now. Oh well. I don't know about the rest of you, but personally I think there are much bigger issues in our world today.

Or people tossing random apostrophes into words where they don't belong. Or morons in the supermarket who put quotes around the word "Fresh" over the produce. Or posters who think "alot" is a word.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but personally I think there are much bigger issues in our world today.

The people hogging the left lane are angry, bitter people for being demeaned due to their poor math skills so they are taking it out on society!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships