Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:03 PM

543 posts, read 703,372 times

Advertisements

I'm having a problem putting my own best interests in ahead of my word.
I own some land that a neighbor's son's friend always wanted and I told him I would eventually sell it to him. Recently I decided to do it and as soon as the surveyor started, another neighbor, whom I am employed by, offered me triple of what I would have sold it for. Not only am I concerned about the money, I am worried I would hurt my relationship with my employer. I care take for him and would have to move out of the area for work if he decided not to renew our contract. No matter which way I go someones going to be mad at me.
I'm looking for some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I would have an honest discussion with the neighbor's son. "I know I had promised you the land, but here is the situation I find myself in ..." Hopefully he will understand why you feel you have to go against his word.

It seems that your relationship with your employer is probably more important than your relationship with the other neighbor's son.

And hopefully it's a lesson learned about making these sorts of promises.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:24 PM

I already did talk to him and he basically said I shouldn't go back on my word but I didn't give him the details. I feel like a pawn in a mafia movie.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:10 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
So sell it to him. Tell him what the offered amount is and let him match it.

You didn't promise to give it to him as a gift. You sell it to him at market rate and you have an offer that is setting market rate.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would have an honest discussion with the neighbor's son. "I know I had promised you the land, but here is the situation I find myself in ..." Hopefully he will understand why you feel you have to go against his word.

It seems that your relationship with your employer is probably more important than your relationship with the other neighbor's son.

And hopefully it's a lesson learned about making these sorts of promises.
We had something similar happen in my family. While we had never actually promised them the land, our friend/neighbor was expecting to buy the land adjacent to their property at a low amount with a land contract (so they could pay for the land over 15 years).

We were unexpectantly offered three times the money, cash up front, from another neighbor for that land.

We told the first neighbor if they could match the amount we would sell the land to them instead. They could not do that, and were grumpy at us for a while but it blew over.

Even if you had agreed to sell the land to the first neighbor you had not agreed on a price. If he can not pay the market rate you are under no obligation to sell him the land.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:08 PM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
You told A that B offered you XYZ and are concerned that B will eliminate your income.

Three times sounds like a windfall, loosing trust sounds like a downfall so does loosing employment. Not a good place to be in. Can you let some grass over the dilemma or do you need the money?

Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Has the neighbor's son given you anything in return for the promise to sell him the land (taken care of it, for example, while you live somewhere else)?

If he's done nothing, except expect that you will eventually sell it to him, I don't think he has a leg to stand on, especially since the other buyer has offered you 3X what the neighbor's son was going to pay.

If he can't see that, he's unreasonable.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 PM

I did agree on a price and then proceeded to survey, then the second neighbor asked the surveyor what was going on. It is right across from him so he offered an outrageous sum to keep his privacy.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
I think you should sell it to the employer, and then after the fact, tell the neighbor's son's friend that the sale went through with another party, and that due to your need to keep your livelihood, this was the decision you came to. You could express that you're sorry that he must be disappointed in the outcome. And leave it at that.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think you should sell it to the employer, and then after the fact, tell the neighbor's son's friend that the sale went through with another party, and that due to your need to keep your livelihood, this was the decision you came to. You could express that you're sorry that he must be disappointed in the outcome. And leave it at that.
That's exactly what I want to do but I I'm going to feel like a jerk if I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships