Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 03:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
I will support whatever decision my niece makes. I am the only one who has offered to pay, my sister won't, her bf won't, and she doesn't have the money. She wants an abortion maybe she will change her mind I don't know. I don't get any satisfaction out of this drama, I have two kids and husband to also worry about. I just want to help my niece.
Ignore the hysterical accusations. You helped raise your niece. She's lucky to have you in this situation.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:22 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,758,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
One thing you can always count on this forum for, it's a response of "don't get involved", "break up", "kick them to the curb".

Some families are more involved with each other and become involved when needed.
Talking about abortion here. I think that’s a very fine line to cross, family or not!

Old 04-10-2018, 03:26 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
So what happens if your niece ends up regretting the decision and blames you for making it happen?
Same thing could happen if she has the baby. The niece needs to make a decision soon, and she's the only one who can.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 807,597 times
Quote:
This is not about me, this about how to help my niece. She is in a tough situation because she wants to get an abortion since she knows she is not ready to be mother especially without my sisters help. However, she also doesn't want to go behind her bfs back and get an abortion. This is a sticky situation she is stuck in.

The bfs family has called me and sent me long Facebook messages begging me to not to pay for the abortion. It's my money so I am going to ignore them, but they are nice people and I have been cordial with them. The bfs parents are not his biological parents but adopted, they adopted and raised many children. They are a very nice couple that I think would raise the child wonderfully but they clash a lot with my sister.

I agreed to pay for the abortion before even knowing about the drama with the bfs parents. I knew about the drama about between my niece and sister, and my niece's bf was initially for the abortion before his parents convinced him otherwise. My sister doesn't care that I am paying. I have helped raise my niece so just leaving her to sort this issue out herself seems cruel.
I would definitely give her the money to pay for it. Without a doubt. Or you can give her enough money to have an abortion and say "I thought you could use some extra money". The end. It's a shame she told her boyfriend and the family in the first place.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:32 PM

80 posts, read 112,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Same thing could happen if she has the baby. The niece needs to make a decision soon, and she's the only one who can.
Yes, it is absolutely her decision. The problem is, she is still in love with her bf and doesn't want to hurt him by going behind his back and getting an abortion. I am trying to help her manage this sticky situation. She is scared and doesn't want her bf to leave her and is trying to convince him that abortion is the best option in this case. The bfs parents are mostly clashing with my sister.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
I will support whatever decision my niece makes. I am the only one who has offered to pay, my sister won't, her bf won't, and she doesn't have the money. She wants an abortion maybe she will change her mind I don't know. I don't get any satisfaction out of this drama, I have two kids and husband to also worry about. I just want to help my niece.

I posted in a prior post that my niece told her boyfriend who I guess told his parents. They were able to look me up on Facebook.

Has she talked to any health care providers who can discuss all the options? I don’t see that she Can find a compromise with the boyfriend, unless she decides to have it and that also has lifelong ramifications.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:37 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... except the sister and husband aren't doing ANYTHING except being pissed.

They won't help their daughter raise the baby, they won't help pay to terminate, and they're just sitting there throwing a fit.

The young woman is barely out of her teens, has some kind of learning disability, and needs support. If her aunt can provide it, she should.

I wasn’t talking about regular counseling but getting counseling by professional health care providers who can actually discuss all her options, abortion vs adoption, etc.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,078,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Putting aside personal opinions about abortion or how the parents are handling this what you are doing is undermining your sister and her husband and you jhave put yourself right in the middle. The best advice I can offer is that you direct your niece to getting counseling and to resolve this with the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... except the sister and husband aren't doing ANYTHING except being pissed.

They won't help their daughter raise the baby, they won't help pay to terminate, and they're just sitting there throwing a fit.

The young woman is barely out of her teens, has some kind of learning disability, and needs support. If her aunt can provide it, she should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

I wasn’t talking about regular counseling but getting counseling by professional health care providers who can actually discuss all her options, abortion vs adoption, etc.

Adoption isn't an option unless the father agrees to it and I doubt he will since he and his parents seem to want the baby, for now anyway.

How long before the BF's parents start asking the girl's parents to pitch in? Not long I'll bet.

The girl's parents seem to be setting her up in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation by not offering to pay for the abortion.

I think OP should give her niece the money and let her make her own decision.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Adoption isn't an option unless the father agrees to it and I doubt he will since he and his parents seem to want the baby.
Why can't the BF keep the baby, and raise it, if he wants to do that. Or, his parents could adopt the baby. I have actually heard of that happening several times in families that I know.

That could be the best of both worlds. Mom could give up her parental rights and never see the baby again (just like what would happen if she had an abortion) and Father and his parents can raise a living child. Win=win.

If Mom gives up her parental rights she has no obligation to pay child support and no rights whatsoever regarding the baby.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:01 PM

16,430 posts, read 12,564,125 times
To be honest, the relationship with the boyfriend is likely doomed. Either she keeps the baby and ends up in a parenting relationship she wasn't ready for and resentful that she was pressured into it, or she has the abortion and the boyfriend gets pissed off and ends it.

She needs to decide what's best for her. The relationship is secondary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships