Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:57 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

Its Mothers Day again. My mom passed in 1984 when I was only 34, after a 15 year battle with cancer. I don't remember all that much anymore, except she passed while we were at Disney World (still feels weird to go there). For all those out there who are lucky enough to still have their moms, enjoy them even if they drive you crazy. Soon enough (hopefully never) they will only be a memory. My mom drove me crazy. I was a total momma's boy and devastated when she died. After a period of time I gathered myself and moved on with my life. I know my mom is up there looking out for me. Happy Mother's Day, mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
It's tough when people ask me what I'm doing for Mother's day, when mine is gone too.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:57 AM

717 posts, read 557,799 times
My mother passed away in 2009.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:10 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Mine died when I was 9. (also cancer). I used to think for many years that I had handled it well, in my late 20's I realized I hadn't. What I miss most was the chance to know her as an adult, woman to woman. There is so much I wish I could ask her.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
A year ago, my mom got really sick and I had to go to Indiana to take care of her. Since then I’ve gone to see her almost every couple of months since. Prior to that our relationship wasn’t great but seeing her sick was a wake up call she won’t be here forever and I don’t her to die with our relationship as bad off as me and my father’s when my father died a few years ago. I’m trying to move closer to where she is after the summer so I can look in on her better. I want to make the most of however long we have left together.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
It's a sober and somber moment in living those words so often said in a lyric. It echoes thru my life.
'you are going to miss me when I'm gone'. Today I barely thought of the missing her. Til I came home...and read a message from my son how he was celebrating his day with his wife and daughter. It jabbed my heart that I was a daughter not spending the day with my mom. She is five years a memory now...and five years of not missing a moment to smile at our antics. If I may share a typical mother's day antic. On the radio or tv at&t used to run an ad to remind folks to call their mom. Reach out and touch someone. Well for years we lived together.. she raised my boys in more ways then I did. Come mother's day. I'd pick up the phone in a bedroom and ring up the phone in the kitchen. She was always cooking the mother's day meal. And I yell.. happy mother's day mom!!! And we'd laugh since she could hear me in the bedroom. Then we'd hang up. And sure enough..she'd call my bedroom phone and shout it back. I miss her calls... Our antics and some days her little nod of ' I know dear' with such empathy. So yes. Enjoy that person,that adult. that person who saw you at your worse and loved you anyway.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
My Mom is still alive, but mentally she's gone. Our relationship has changed in just the past couple of years. I'm the "mom" now, but I'm glad she still knows who I am.

Cherish all of your loved ones.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
My mother died unexpectedly 6 months ago, today has been hard. Been staying off of FB completely, as all I saw today were multiple postings about Mother's Day from everyone.

Every holiday, birthday, etc, since she died has been rough. I hope this doesn't last forever, it really takes it out of you.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
My mother died unexpectedly 6 months ago, today has been hard. Been staying off of FB completely, as all I saw today were multiple postings about Mother's Day from everyone.

Every holiday, birthday, etc, since she died has been rough. I hope this doesn't last forever, it really takes it out of you.
Heart felt hug for you in making it thru this day. I won't give the 'it will get easier ' because where you are in the process is by far not easy. In fact its still raw. Please be gentle thru this passage..your moms love still resides in you...

Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
My mother died when I was 10. I moved in with my father and my step mon but had a terrible relationship with them. Fortunately a higher being had blessed me with the ultimate wife. She loves me and our daughter like the best mom ever and I try to treat her as such every day. I would do anything for her and appreciate everything she does for us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships