Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM

716 posts, read 557,637 times

Advertisements

Even worse, you'll see the homeless in Las Vegas with dogs by their side.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
He is not a "sugar daddy". He is a FWB who has said he "wants to take care of her."

A lot of people get a pet as an impulse acquisition, without thinking about the future, how much it will cost, and what else they might be doing with that money. Hard to resist a cute doggo or kitty, and they provide much needed companionship for many people.
Yes indeed many folks impulse acquire dogs and the dog eventually suffers for their lack of foresight.

Been in dog rescue since 1984. Seen more cases of this than I can tell you and from all socioeconomic strata. Dumped in shelters, left in crates too long, tied in yards and ignored when novelty wears off.

How OP's dog is going to fare when she's gone FT CC and FT work is the only bad aspect to her plan; leaving him alone in the motel many many hours will be awful for him.

Otherwise I think she's absolutely doing the right thing for herself (seeking further education) and the advisors at the CC will look at her placement test scores and advise her accordingly as to realistic career goals; that is their job to do so.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
Once again hes not my sugar daddy. That’s not the situation at all. We just help each other and we are fwb. It’s nothing more then that. He’s not paying a bunch of my bills and he’s not taking me on vacation every week. He has helped me out but I pay all my bills by myself. Yes he has helped me with rent but that’s not a regular thing. I am a proud person but I do accept help when offered and that’s a new thing for me but I have let him help me. But it’s not an all the time thing.

Work is whatever. Im just doing what Im told. It’s not my fault if she doesn’t make others do what they are supposed to do. I thought about what that poster said. Im there to do work so I’m just going to do it. Yes I think it’s dumb and unfair but theres nothing I can do about it :/ I am also done with talking to people at work. I tried to make friends but everybody dumps their crap on me and they talk a lot of crap as well. My one friend I did have there drives me nuts. Then there’s another lady and she knows I’m religious and uses it to her advantage. I was going to make a thread about it but every time I do posters can be mean and I want to talk to someone about it but if Im being honest I would rather just ge in my head about it I guess. I used to like to vent here but sometimes people bring up stuff that has nothing to do with my post

My dog is fine and he’s actually really happy. He gets exercise and he gets treats and everything he needs

Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
If you want to talk about your other co-worker, go for it. I'm sure there are other people who have those kinds of co-workers. You don't really have to address the other things if you don't want.

Have you been working on developing your boundaries? I'm willing to bet that's why people like to dump their crap on you.... probably because you're a little too receptive and willing to take it. Just maintain that boundaries and keep things professional at work.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 PM

318 posts, read 467,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Being liked by coworkers is overrated. If they aren't writing your checks, screw 'em. The vast majority will be phony anyways. Coworkers are like friends. If you have one really good one in your corner, consider yourself blessed.

Also? Find a new job.
Great advice...

AND sounds like your manager is a piece of work, OP. She wants to take the easy way out, let you do ALL the work and never have to learn how to be a manager.

I would be outta there like yesterday. Seriously. Very unhealthy negative environment.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:27 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
AND sounds like your manager is a piece of work, OP. She wants to take the easy way out, let you do ALL the work and never have to learn how to be a manager.

I would be outta there like yesterday. Seriously. Very unhealthy negative environment.

Not everybody has the luxury of just quitting their job.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

Has she actually made any progress in the last 2 years? I haven't seen much. She is an entertaining person.

She has. You haven't seen much progress ... by whose standards?

She left a very bad home environment and is working and making her way.

Daisy, don't think about law school right now. Keep your goals VERY simple and attainable.

Get accepted into a good community college and meet with an adviser to figure out what degree program you want to pursue.

Figure out reliable transportation.

Keep your head down at work and keep moving forward.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
there is nothing stopping me from being a lawyer. People do it every day. Why not me? I think that a lot lately, like why not me? Yes it will take studying and hard work but Im still going to try and go for it. people tell me to get a career and job and to go to school but what else do you want me to do? I’m just confused I guess
That is exactly right. Why not you? I read a book about a woman who had no education at all. Not even Jr. High. She was a foster kid with no opportunity, smoking crack and in a gang by the age of ten. As a reformed adult, she dediced to be a lawyer and she literally had to start with learning 1+1 = 2, and today she is a lawyer.

You can achieve anything you put your mind to, that is a fact. Perhaps what some people are seeing is a lack of really putting your mind to things. For instance, the actual topic here is your job. If you want to do well later in life, your number 1 right now is being the best McDonalds employee anyone ever saw. For your boss to be so impressed with you she can't believe it.

I have no idea how I obtained that work ethic, perhaps I was just competitive, but every job I had as a teen I put my mind to being the best at whatever it was. Telemarketing, Chruches Chicken, then restraunt service.

It pays off. At 16 I was promoted to a position meant for 18 or over at least because the law says that people under 18 can't cut chicken, but I had shown to be so proficient at everything else that the manager needed me to be assistant manager, and the other one had to do that part for me.

I do not say that to brag, but to make a point that this is how you get ahead in life. I believe you can do it, it's mostly a mental POV, paradigm shift for you.

Last edited by jencam; 06-03-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 01:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
He is not a "sugar daddy". He is a FWB who has said he "wants to take care of her."

A lot of people get a pet as an impulse acquisition, without thinking about the future, how much it will cost, and what else they might be doing with that money. Hard to resist a cute doggo or kitty, and they provide much needed companionship for many people.
I see having an FWB who wants to take care of a person as female privilege. I, as a male, have never had a female offer to take care of me. If I do not perform at work, I have to deal with the consequences, which would be harsh. Part of success at work is how you manage relationships with others.

Many people think that working at a McDonald's restaurant location is a joke. That's not an accurate representation. I perceive that working at McDonald's is an awful way to make a living over an extended period of time. However, in the short term, it has the potential to teach some valuable lessons. The first most valuable lesson that one can learn from working fast food is to get out of there as soon as possible. Learn to find an alternate path in life. Other lessons that can be learned include how to interact with your co-workers and how to treat the people who ultimately pay your paychecks-your customers. Without customers, there is no McDonald's, and McDonald's expects their workers to treat their customers in a dignified fashion, even if customers exhibit less than dignified behavior. Creating good relationships with customers matters in any business endeavor.

Since the OP has worked at McDonald's for 5+ years, she has failed to implement the most valuable lesson of working a low wage, service sector job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
She has. You haven't seen much progress ... by whose standards?

She left a very bad home environment and is working and making her way.

Daisy, don't think about law school right now. Keep your goals VERY simple and attainable.

Get accepted into a good community college and meet with an adviser to figure out what degree program you want to pursue.

Figure out reliable transportation.

Keep your head down at work and keep moving forward.

Ok, she has a couple of accomplishments from the last 2 years. Leaving a bad home situation and not getting pregnant. She still has some significant issues to address. I think she has a good attitude and means well, but she's run into a lot of problems, some of which are self-inflicted.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Daisy, I haven't read all of your threads so I may be off-base on some stuff.

College: While a community college sounds like a good idea, I think you should consider applying to a 4 year state college. There are literally thousands of different grants that you can apply for. Grants are not loans; there's nothing to pay back. It's possible that you could go to a 4 year state college tuition free and live in the dorms for free. I know of some people that not only had their tuition and room & board completely paid for with grants, they also received a monthly check for living expenses. These were people that grew up in poverty, quit high school, got a GED, and applied for grants.

Financial Aid: With your current plan to have your FWB pay for the 1st semester of community college, this could possibly hurt your chances of receiving financial aid in the future.

Your FWB: As others have said, don't rely on this person for anything. He could be gone tomorrow.

Your trip to Paris: I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't recommend going on that trip. It sounds too good to be true. Your FWB could be a human trafficker! He may be looking to sell you to some perverted rich guy in France. Or worse. Ever see Hostel? I'm probably freaking you out but these are things to consider.

Your job: You're in a difficult situation. I don't really have any advice other than to say I think you should just do whatever is necessary so you don't get fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships