Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,509,844 times

Advertisements

I am astounded at how things have changed socially in terms of how people relate to one another and how much of a landmine ordinary interactions and small talk can be.

Examples:
  • Simple questions about "where do you work?" are considered intrusive and judgemental.
  • Disagreeing with someone is a microaggression. Or judgemental. (I believe the latter term is WAY overused.)
  • Organized activities in the workplace are discriminatory against people who don't wish to socialize.
  • And just about everyone we don't like is now toxic rather than just a jerk who is best avoided.
I mean, these are all really dramatic terms that make it sound like interactions are more threatening or insulting than they really are. Saying you are discriminated against because you are a vegan and the conference refreshments are not? Let's reserve terms like discrimination for people who truly are discriminated against -- like where their livelihood or health hangs in the balance.

And why does every interaction have to have some sort of dubious meaning behind it? It doesn't serve me to automatically view something as a "slight" against me if it could go either way.

I just don't understand how we got to the point of over-dramatizing things in relationships.

I'm really baffled by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,264,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Examples:
  • Simple questions about "where do you work?" are considered intrusive and judgemental.
  • This is not a big of a problem as it seems. Most people still will reply to those questions if asked. However, the internet is where many people who have real trouble interacting with others in person can express themselves, and IMHO there is a disproportionate number of those folks advancing that idea.

Quote:
  • Disagreeing with someone is a microaggression.
  • This is just not true. A microaggression is an actual thing, and it's not just "disagreeing with someone." The fact remains that people ARE very judgmental, and the internet promotes that.

Quote:
  • Organized activities in the workplace are discriminatory against people who don't wish to socialize.
  • Another internet molehill made into a mountain.

Quote:
  • And just about everyone we don't like is now toxic rather than just a jerk who is best avoided.
Again, a "toxic" person is an actual thing, different from a jerk.

Quote:
It sounds like you're baffled because you're generalizing things.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,480,584 times
As always, BirdieBelle is the voice of common sense.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM

102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
OP, my verdict is that you're spending too much time in the toxic environment of C-D, among all the judgmental people.

Ya think? I mean, think about it. You don't encounter these opinions out in real life, do you? Among your friends, relatives and co-workers? One guy puts up a thread about being uncomfortable responding to questions about what field he works in, or where he works, and instead of interpreting his topic as the product of a very young, very insecure mind, you're casting it as some kind of societal malaise.

A bit of realistic perspective is in order, methinks.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 AM

6,331 posts, read 4,249,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
As always, BirdieBelle is the voice of common sense.
I couldn’t rep BirdieBelle again so yes the voice of common sense.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,263 posts, read 4,376,171 times
It's bordering on ridiculous and is another symptom of political correctness and "every kid gets a trophy" run amok.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 AM

15,256 posts, read 13,077,823 times
Quote:
I just don't understand how we got to the point of over-dramatizing things in relationships.

People have come to understand the power of a grievance. They want that power for themselves.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,678,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's bordering on ridiculous and is another symptom of political correctness and "every kid gets a trophy" run amok.
This is true. I do suspect a lot of this nonsense is on the Internet though. I don’t hear nearly as many stupid things in person but I also suspect that’s because nobody looking at me and seeing me would think their nonsense will fly. These people aren’t intimidating outside of the Internet, and don’t talk a big game except behind a keyboard, so maybe they are thinking some PC nonsense in their heads while talking to me but they properly judge I won’t care or change my behavior for their weak emotional state.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,509,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Ya think? I mean, think about it. You don't encounter these opinions out in real life, do you? Among your friends, relatives and co-workers? One guy puts up a thread about being uncomfortable responding to questions about what field he works in, or where he works, and instead of interpreting his topic as the product of a very young, very insecure mind, you're casting it as some kind of societal malaise.

A bit of realistic perspective is in order, methinks.
Honestly, I didn’t see the thread you referenced. However I have read articles in legitimate media ...I believe one was in the BBC online IIRC that said it is now taboo to ask one where one works for these reasons. I think I referenced these article in another thread on a similar topic.

In fact, while CD is a place where these kinds of discussions occur, most of my thinking on this comes from what I am reading and hearing in general media. I do have a couple of family members and social contacts who couch things in these terms but we have limited interaction.

Anyway I find these responses interesting and I’m happy to hear that people don’t think in such dramatic terms —perhaps I’m delusional! 😀

Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM

6,331 posts, read 4,249,801 times
Quote:
Honestly, I didn’t see the thread you referenced. However I have read articles in legitimate media ...I believe one was in the BBC online IIRC that said it is now taboo to ask one where one works for these reasons. I think I referenced these article in another thread on a similar topic.

In fact, while CD is a place where these kinds of discussions occur, most of my thinking on this comes from what I am reading and hearing in general media. I do have a couple of family members and social contacts who couch things in these terms but we have limited interaction.

Anyway I find these responses interesting and I’m happy to hear that people don’t think in such dramatic terms —perhaps I’m delusional! 😀
I did find this

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...w-life-meaning
And
https://interculturalmeanderings.wor...ion-they-have/

I’ve lived in America 40 years and i am used to being asked and it has elicited different reactions over the years on how the conversation went but I figured if they are going to judge my whole character based on what I do then I don’t want anything to do with them. While it doesn’t bother me I can see why there is an issue. Ask the question in Europe “”what do you do” and they are more likely to tell you the things they like to do outside of the work realm because they generally don’t define themselves by their job. In other words they work to live not live to work.

And finally this
BBC - Capital - Why you shouldn't ask people what they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships