Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 07:16 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You could say that you don't think it's a good idea to play religious music because you are concerned that the parents might complain to the school -- which is actually possible.
^^This. If my kid was in the van, I would be the parent that complained.

Christian music is annoying as all hell. I mean really really annoying. You should stay PC and use the parents might complain spin but I probably would not have made it through two songs the first day without saying something.

This is one of those deals where it is their religion and they are being completely inconsiderate of others because the majority of people do not like christian music. If they did, it would be in the billboard top 40 all the time but you rarely ever see any religious based song in the top 40.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:21 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
It's a Freudian slip showing her mentality.
That was my point
She is a lower level bus aide, that's all.
It gets haughty to place yourself on some imaginary team where you are the important driver of the bus
along with "Two other staff members who pick up children"
There is no team, nor a team decision about music played in the bus
The Bus Driver doesn't need to get her permission regarding music played
Why such a level of hostility? It's a bus driver for goodness sake, not an airline pilot. Considering we are talking about a bus full of special needs kids I'm afraid I would consider all three of the employees a team, as it falls to all of them to get the kids to their destination safely and without incident. The aids wouldn't be there if they weren't considered necessary.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Hello all,

I work at this special education school and part of the job requires driving students from home to school. I pick up 6 students (severely autistic) with 2 other staff members. On the way, the radio is always on usually playing music. I was recently put on a new route with 2 girls I had never worked with before. One morning, I hear music with lyrics mention how great Jesus was. I was like "WTF?!". One of the co-worker had tuned in the Christian radio station without asking anyone if it was ok. The other girl seemed to be fine with it. For an hour straight, the radio in the van kept spitting tasteless evangelical music. I though I was going to lose my mind. I'm not Christian and I find Christian music lame. Sorry it is offends some people but those are my personal opinions.

I was bothered but I didn't say anything, hoping it would not happen again. I was wrong. Every morning it has been the same thing. It really bothers me to have Jesus stuff rubbed on my face. The institution is a charter school funded with public money, the van belongs to the school. What if I was playing satanic death metal ? What if someone else was playing Islamic chants? I don't want to make it a bigger deal than it really is, but I think that woman should know better. I think it is rude, inconsiderate and inappropriate to other staff members, and those students.

How would you handle this?

How would you feel if she was playing rap music instead or Hip Hop?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Often those types of kids have earphones with them.

We have one girl diagnosed with autism who walks downtown wearing stereo earphones to block out noise. Many here assume she's listening to music but that's not the case

And often kids with severe autism can just barely be persuaded to keep their socks and shoes and clothes on, let alone to wear earphones or invasive and uncomfortable foreign bodies stuck in their ears to block out noises that are painful torture for them.

I understand what you're saying though, that there are some options available (such as ear coverings or plugs) for higher functioning autistics who can be made to understand that such options may help them. It's unfortunate that some of them have to resort to such things to relieve their pain.

But here under discussion is a situation of a group of apparently severely autistic students who are being abused by the staff who are transporting them. They are confined inside a vehicle, trapped and being forced to endure something painful and they have no choice and no say in the matter. The OP and other staff are selfishly and thoughtlessly assaulting their disabled passengers for their own pleasure without any thought for the damage they're inflicting on their charges. The severely autistic students in the OP's bus are most likely in no position nor have the ability to let the OP and other staff know that the radio noises they are being assaulted with (music and other painful wavelengths that the staff aren't aware of but that most autistics are sensitive to) is painful torture for them. Those kids should not be forced to endure having their physical and emotional sensitivities assaulted by indiscriminate noises that are painful to them.

And the only thing the OP cares about is the type of noise that the OP is being forced to endure without giving any thought to the disabled people in the OP's care who are being inflicted with the same noise in a worse way and are helpless to do anything about the pain they are enduring.

If I was the parent of any of those autistic kids and discovered the abuse that the staff on the bus are subjecting them to I would be so furious I wouldn't rest until I saw to it that all those staff are fired from their jobs.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM

149 posts, read 100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you really? I find that hard to believe, since I’ve lived in towns with a large religious/Christian presence.
Yes I did. It took months to do this research.

A religious affiliation does not mean someone is religious. At some time in life, many folks have joined a church. Maybe mom wanted you to, maybe it was right out of high school. The rolls still have my membership from 1994. I have membershis in a few churches since their roles are only added to, names are often not dropped..., while there is just one of me.

Quote:
Without doing a whole research project on the subject, simple logic & statistics would infer this... California has more Latinos and Asians than non-Hispanic whites, and the majority of the former groups are Christian or Catholic. Heavily so, in most cases. Then you add in the percentage of white Christians, and the percentages get pretty high.
No it doesn't. You are using this as an excuse to discriminate against those you WANT to be religious so you can hate on them.
Speaking Spanish nor listening to their music doesn't turn me into a Mexican.

Nor does eating at a mexican restaurant.
I have no interest in their culture beyond that.
About Fresno, I used to stay with my Aunt there during the Summers.. It's cleaned up alot but the residents earn 23K less per year than the average yearly income for California. Many of their churches offer their soup kitchens, food pantries & such. Hardly seen any Christians there though I did see many who wanted to be affiliated with the church. There is a high crime rate in Fresno though it's decreased significantly the last decade or so.
A christian is not someone who protests because Starbucks won't add the word Christmas to coffee mugs.

Christians are Christ followers. They are not those who listen to Christian music. Most of us listen to all kinds of music. You need to stop this hate and filling your head with untruths so you can stereotype individuals looking for offense. Bring your co-workers a few small gifts, be nice. Let this hate go.

About that highway stretch, we visited Carson a few years ago once a month. I was executor of my husbands uncles estate there. We stayed for 4-5 days at a time.

That stretch of highway...there is not enough individuals to fill even one church. My husband is very familiar with that area, these are his words. A radio station doesn't deem many as Christian, especially when you see a home every mile or so and there are No towns whatsoever. Just gas stations on the side of the highways, fruit stands, maybe a restaurant.

It often means a non-profit has purchased the time to witness to drivers traveling along that stretch of highway. My husband is not a Christian but he chooses to listen to that music every time we went to Carson. He enjoyed it. No one was "rubbing anything into his face" when i turned it on. He often turned it on. He wasn't "subjected" to anything despite not holding to Christian views.. Your wording is very aggressive and mis-leading. Truth matters.

Last edited by ByeFelicia.; 09-25-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM

149 posts, read 100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Part of her job (we don't know what she does while at the school) is to go with two other people in a vehicle to pick up and transport students from home to school and back. I don't know what lies and untruths you're talking about. She does pick up students with two other people.

How do you figure she picks no one up? That's exactly what they're doing. I'm really confused by your weird interpretation of what is written.
They are not doing that. Only one out of 3 is doing that. You know this.

There are two individuals who share the same job title and duties. ONLY TWO.
They are bus aides. They handle behavior issues. They can never drive a bus unless THEY have the credentials to do so.

The Freudian slip there is unmistake-able. I am on par with the bus driver enough that she should be getting input upon my taste in music before putting it on. Otherwise I am "subjected" to this music. I am being "prophesized to" "I am getting it rubbed in my face".

If they put on any other kind of music, would these terms be used? vilolent, x rated provocative words? No because normal people understand it is MUSIC. No hidden agenda by co-workers to rub it in her face, whatever is played.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
This is not specific to Christian music but what might trigger an event with someone with autism, depending on its severity.

My very gentle, but profoundly autistic non-verbal brother loves music above all else in this world – he lives for it. When we would take him out for drives, he was wily and could finagle his way out of the seat belt. He could not wait to jump in the car and put his ears right on the speakers which I would have to turn up to the highest volume – if I tried to lower it, he’d start screaming. Over the years, we would buy stereo systems, portable players, anything to give him access to the only thing he cared about but he could not work the controls and they all went by the wayside soon after.

Two years ago he was in the hospital for a serious illness and I took my iPod/portable speaker when we went to visit. He had been out of recovery less than 30 minutes when we were allowed in his room. Thinking he would be weak and unable to get out of the bed, I went to set it up, knowing it would be a treat for him when he awakened. All of a sudden he opened his eyes, shot out of the bed and came after the speaker knocking me to the floor. I had to scream at my mom to get out of the room so she wouldn’t be injured and yelled for help. In his desperation to try to keep me from getting it, he grabbed the player and threw it across the room where it ended up in pieces. He did not see me, he did not see my mother, all he saw was that music player.

I agree 100% with Zoisite. The wise and safest decision would be to have no music.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:14 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
They are not doing that. Only one out of 3 is doing that. You know this.

There are two individuals who share the same job title and duties. ONLY TWO.
They are bus aides. They handle behavior issues. They can never drive a bus unless THEY have the credentials to do so.

The Freudian slip there is unmistake-able. I am on par with the bus driver enough that she should be getting input upon my taste in music before putting it on. Otherwise I am "subjected" to this music. I am being "prophesized to" "I am getting it rubbed in my face".

If they put on any other kind of music, would these terms be used? vilolent, x rated provocative words? No because normal people understand it is MUSIC. No hidden agenda by co-workers to rub it in her face, whatever is played.
WHAAAAAT? You are making absolutely no sense. The three of them are transporting students. Yes, only one of them is behind the wheel, but THREE EMPLOYEES ARE IN A BUS and they are all charged with picking up students and transporting them to school and then home again. No one was omitted from the OP's post, and the OP wasn't trying to elevate herself to any sort of status.

There was no freudian slip. You're reading waay too much into what has been written.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I got the impression that you're the driver. Just change the station--the radio is right over there to your right. They didn't clear it with you, you don't need their permission.

If they object, just tell the truth, you don't like that music.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
If only there was some sign - some mannerism or something, that the autistic children who were distressed by the offending music could show to indicate their torture. Hmm. I guess we'll NEVER KNOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships