Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,462,208 times

Advertisements

Our family has a few members who are considered "better looking" than the others. This happens in each generation. At gatherings, inevitably this is commented upon, especially when these individuals are female.

And trying not to sound like a humble brag (because its NOT), I am one of those people. I am 40 now, so I would have hoped it would stop. No. Standing next to a similarly aged female relative at a recent gathering I was compared to her (not favorably for her) by another relative, told "your husband must be really handsome!" and that I was part of the "good genes" that "not everyone got." This is incredibly awkward and not complimentary. And the comments went on. Many of these were from older men which gives it a different level of ickiness as I am related to them in some way.

I saw this behavior repeated with other younger relatives. Its nice to be considered attractive, but not the be all end all. And it creates animus between siblings, cousins, etc. Its just not necessary. Women do have other skills that they work hard to develop. People grow into different looks over time. Its just not positive to constantly call this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,073,411 times
Try to deflect it with a comment like "Beauty is only skin deep" or "Don't judge a book by its cover" and then compliment someone else on - their great career, their fashion sense, their wonderful family, their charitable works -- you get the picture.

I like to joke that my sister got the looks, brains, and ambition in the family, but truthfully I would not trade places with her as she is short in the love and kindness department. Which I have plenty of.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times
When compared to another relative, flip the script.

"Are you kidding? I think she's a stunner! I wish I had those beautiful eyes! They must come from the other side of her family, and I'm jealous!"

"I might be pretty, but I wish I were as brilliant/creative/talented as she is. I missed out on the good genes!"

Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When compared to another relative, flip the script.

"Are you kidding? I think she's a stunner! I wish I had those beautiful eyes! They must come from the other side of her family, and I'm jealous!"

"I might be pretty, but I wish I were as brilliant/creative/talented as she is. I missed out on the good genes!"
I tried exactly this in this recent situation and was told I was being "condescending." After decades of this behavior, there is a lot of built up anger. I get it. There is really nothing I can say without seeming like I am being a total B. I just walk away from these conversations now when I can.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,067,059 times
Yeah, I was in one of those, too.

For example, when I was a kid, my grandmother and aunt told me repeatedly that I'd be bald like my uncle Butch. So I'd scrutinize my scalp in the mirror for years, searching for the telltale first signs of hair loss.

I'm in my mid-50s now. Not only do I have a full head of hair, but I don't even have gray hair.

All in all, it took me a long time to realize what a bunch of mean, sharp-tongued b*tches the women in my family were.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yeah, I was in one of those, too.

For example, when I was a kid, my grandmother and aunt told me repeatedly that I'd be bald like my uncle Butch. So I'd scrutinize my scalp in the mirror for years, searching for the telltale first signs of hair loss.

I'm in my mid-50s now. Not only do I have a full head of hair, but I don't even have gray hair.

All in all, it took me a long time to realize what a bunch of mean, sharp-tongued b*tches the women in my family were.
Ain't family just the best?

I really think they believe they are bestowing the highest possible compliment on me. But its diminishing and creepy. Its sad to be reduced to the way you look. No one ever asks me about my career but they will sure comment on what I am wearing, how big my diamond is and who gave it to me (never considering that I might be able to buy it myself, as I did), how much I lost or gained weight, etc. I feel like I am in the 1950s. I give a pass to relatives in their 70s and 80s but coming from people in their 40s and 50s its just really toxic.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Our family has a few members who are considered "better looking" than the others. This happens in each generation. At gatherings, inevitably this is commented upon, especially when these individuals are female.

And trying not to sound like a humble brag (because its NOT), I am one of those people. I am 40 now, so I would have hoped it would stop. No. Standing next to a similarly aged female relative at a recent gathering I was compared to her (not favorably for her) by another relative, told "your husband must be really handsome!" and that I was part of the "good genes" that "not everyone got." This is incredibly awkward and not complimentary. And the comments went on. Many of these were from older men which gives it a different level of ickiness as I am related to them in some way.

I saw this behavior repeated with other younger relatives. Its nice to be considered attractive, but not the be all end all. And it creates animus between siblings, cousins, etc. Its just not necessary. Women do have other skills that they work hard to develop. People grow into different looks over time. Its just not positive to constantly call this out.
Sometimes it just happens with kids.

I was at a gathering with my friends' families kids and my friend's cousin's son, who was about 4 was standing around and he's a mixed kid, very cute. And I mentioned something about it. Another cousin's kid who was pretty close called me out on not saying the same about her kid. And I told them their kid was good looking too, I didn't mean it in that way.

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking about it.

As far as doing that to somebody who is 40, that is just weird. I never comment on adults and their looks. Even away from their face and behind closed doors, I almost never compare people's looks, and certainly never comment on who is too good for who.

But I can tell you a lot of people do...

Old 10-05-2018, 07:56 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,812,593 times
I come from a family of rather obese people. Truth. On maternal & paternal side. But for some reason I have problems gaining at all. So from childhood through adulthood at any gathering I was called out for being too thin. Except they call it skinny and that's a term I detest. The proverbial, "don't stand still or the wind will carry you off" kind of crap.
So basically they were doing the reverse of what OP is going through, acting as though because I'm 5'9" and weigh 128 pounds is not ok and should be my height and weigh 250-their weight.
One thing I did was announce to the family at one of these gatherings that,"It is rude and tacky to comment on anyone's weight. Ever! And perhaps,just maybe they should ALL think about that and perhaps work on themselves ,as I am very happy with my life and my weight. Thank you very much.
Ultimately what I did for my piece of mind is--I stopped attending these family gatherings. Ah.....life's great!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 7,813,323 times
Just chiming in here to say that there are many men who are not like the older creepy guys in OP's family.

Not that we're all perfect but the comments OP describes is (what I hope is) the more rare trash type men that I think are dying out over the generations.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,378,338 times
Just sayin’ this is not normal in my universe at all. Neither in my original or any in-law family (I’ve had a few!). And there have always been some really pretty females and a few that were quite overweight or less pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships