Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Oh my. I've posted about my own stalker friend on here before. Same thing, does nice things for me, and she is my catsitter (I pay her) since I travel every month.

Oddly, she has the same behavior as your friend in making my family issues her own.

Anyway, she used to call me the minute I walked in the door from work. We live in the same condo complex, but she is down the street and around the corner. She can't see me. But it happened too much. I finally asked her if she was parked down the street watching my house. She laughed and said no, but what I did was stop answering her calls. Eventually I learned that the old lady in the first courtyard who sits outside watching everything would call her when she saw my car pass and let her know I was home. Tag-team stalking.

I have to tell her straightforwardly to stop showing up at my door unannounced, that I prefer she call to see if I am busy (she doesn't leave once she is there until I literally say, "It's time for you to leave.") It works temporarily, but then she falls back into her old habits.

I also have to be careful not to mention where I am going or what I am doing at times because she invites herself along. I mean to visit MY mother or once, visit a friend who lives in another state for the weekend. I was speechless when she pulled that last one. She'd met my friend once and somehow figured she'd be welcome to come along the next time I went.

Anyway, these people are passive-aggressively manipulative even if they have a "nice" side to them, and they have to be managed firmly and bluntly. Hints and subtleties do not work.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it's a smart phone, the Do Not Disturb is perfect for this. I have mine set so that the only calls I receive are from the people in my "Favorites" list. So you can set yours up so that your mother, her caregivers, and your kids and grandkids can all call and you'll hear it, but everyone else is sent to voicemail.
Hey, I didn't even know this! I'm going to check into it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I didn't even know this! I'm going to check into it right now.

Is it an iPhone? If so, this page should help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

I like it because I don't even have to think about it. I set it to automatically go on DND at 10:00 pm and for DND to turn off at 6:00 am.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh my. I've posted about my own stalker friend on here before. Same thing, does nice things for me, and she is my catsitter (I pay her) since I travel every month.

Oddly, she has the same behavior as your friend in making my family issues her own.

Anyway, she used to call me the minute I walked in the door from work. We live in the same condo complex, but she is down the street and around the corner. She can't see me. But it happened too much. I finally asked her if she was parked down the street watching my house. She laughed and said no, but what I did was stop answering her calls. Eventually I learned that the old lady in the first courtyard who sits outside watching everything would call her when she saw my car pass and let her know I was home. Tag-team stalking.

I have to tell her straightforwardly to stop showing up at my door unannounced, that I prefer she call to see if I am busy (she doesn't leave once she is there until I literally say, "It's time for you to leave.") It works temporarily, but then she falls back into her old habits.

I also have to be careful not to mention where I am going or what I am doing at times because she invites herself along. I mean to visit MY mother or once, visit a friend who lives in another state for the weekend. I was speechless when she pulled that last one. She'd met my friend once and somehow figured she'd be welcome to come along the next time I went.

Anyway, these people are passive-aggressively manipulative even if they have a "nice" side to them, and they have to be managed firmly and bluntly. Hints and subtleties do not work.
I think you're on to something!

My friend really does have a nice side to her - I mean, I think she's a sweet person in many ways. But when it comes to personal boundaries, it's like she just has no clue. She also often says things that I would just not say to anyone - without going into details I'll just say that I don't talk about intimate sexual stuff with anyone. I mean, if I was having a serious issue of some sort I'd talk to a close girlfriend, but I don't share intimate details about sexual things in general. She will just throw it right out there - NO BOUNDARIES. No filter if that makes sense.

In that regard, I just laugh and sort of sit there amazed - to be honest, she's often really funny and so it's not like I'm sitting around suffering from her friendship. But I won't go there.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Is it an iPhone? If so, this page should help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

I like it because I don't even have to think about it. I set it to automatically go on DND at 10:00 pm and for DND to turn off at 6:00 am.
It's a Samsung Galaxy S8 so not a smart phone but I've got it figured out - thanks anyway!

I made sure anyone I would want to hear from is included in the Favorites and no one else, and set it up from 9 pm till 7 am. YES!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Stalking you or simply alerted that you are active, awake and online?

Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
She doesn’t have to go out of her way to stalk you on Facebook, when you share something it shows up in her news feed immediately... that’s how Facebook works! She knows you’re up... You just announced you were up... You and all of her other friends who are still posting at that hour. She doesn’t even have to touch anything it just appears. If she has the chat feature on she may be able to see if you’re online with whether you post anything or not. That’s not stalking, really.

‘Stalking you’ would be discovering this post.
I understand how FB works, but thanks. I don't "know" who is up and posting though I guess because I just don't pay attention to that - I don't notice "when" someone posts something, and I don't think, "Oh, they're up - I'll give them a call!" My mind just doesn't work that way and also, I have my FB notifications turned off - I don't care anything about getting "notified" when people post things.

What I do is before I go to sleep, I scroll down through various posts to sort of catch up - mostly to see if any of my kids have posted any new photos. If I see something interesting, I may post it myself. I do NOT mean to be "announcing to the world" that "Hey, I'm awake - CALL ME!" Heck, I'm almost certainly in the bed about to turn out the light and go to sleep!

Besides the fact that I don't want to chat with people, even close friends, after about 9 or 10 pm, I just don't like the fact that if I post something, she thinks she can call me because I'm awake. Ugh. STOP IT.

But that's OK, I've stopped it myself by changing my settings to only allow calls from my Favorites list after 9 pm.

I just think it's inappropriate behavior on her part, considering that I've already told her I don't want to get calls late at night. She knows that - I mean, she doesn't call me late at night when my husband is home so she knows she "shouldn't" do it. I don't like that she's noticing "Hey, she's up," and then thinking it's OK to call me so late. Grrr.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Stalking you or simply alerted that you are active, awake and online?
OK call it whatever you want, but just because I'm in the privacy of my own home, and want to post something doesn't mean I want people calling me "because" they assume that I'm "active." So what if I'm awake or online? I can do that any time I want, but that doesn't mean I am "open for business." If I'm awake at 2 am, should people who see me post something assume it's OK to call then? Just because I'm awake, active, or online doesn't mean I want to chat on the phone.

I thought about being catty and calling her about 7 am, because well, I'm "active and awake" and why shouldn't she be as well? But I know she's not, and call me old fashioned or whatever, but I think it's polite to be considerate of other's schedules and preferences. Even if I noticed that she was "active, awake and online" I wouldn't call her, or anyone else, at 7 am unless it was a freaking emergency. Or at 11 pm.

That's just me, I guess, but people who consider themselves to be a good friend of mine KNOW that, and people who aren't good friends of mine sure as heck better not call me in the middle of the night.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
If it's a smart phone, the Do Not Disturb is perfect for this. I have mine set so that the only calls I receive are from the people in my "Favorites" list. So you can set yours up so that your mother, her caregivers, and your kids and grandkids can all call and you'll hear it, but everyone else is sent to voicemail.

The problem with this is when the kid gets in a car accident and the police or hospital call you from a number you don't know that is not in your Favorites list.

It used to be that civilized people knew not to call past 8 p.m. or before 8 a.m. We have unfortunately let ourselves become an instant gratification addicted society and that went out the window along with a lot of other nice things.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
My DH has friends in CA who can't seem to comprehend that the time zone difference makes it 3 hours later here. When we lived in CA they used to call him at 9 or 10 pm, and DH didn't mind talking to them, FOR AN HOUR! But now when they call at 9 or 10 there, it's midnight or one here! I finally got DH to stop answering at that hour, and it's starting to get better. Every time they call now he says what the time is here, just to hope it sticks in their head that it's LATER here. LOL...sigh.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: sp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships