Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to see so many people mention a coffee maker. I would have never thought of that, as a guest. And in our case, our guest room, while decent size, isn't enormous. Last year we switched out the bed, and we now have a king size bed in the guest room. There's also a 32 inch television that had the same access to cable television we had in the rest of the house, but now has an amazon fire stick. Technically, there would be room for a coffee maker but the room doesn't have the space for a chair to sit and drink the coffee. They would have to drink it on the bed, which would be okay, I guess, but not ideal.

We have a keurig in our kitchen, and I would expect that any guest of our's would go downstairs and have coffee anywhere in our downstairs area -- we have a living room and a family room, plus a small area that's kind of an office but has a few chairs with a side table. Plus, we have all the coffee stuff in the kitchen - sugar, fake sugar, half & half, milk, flavor syrups, spoons, mugs, travel mugs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Huh, I just returned today from visiting my best friend of over 60 years on the opposite coast, and I was so thrilled to see her brand new home that I didn't notice that the only thing in my room was a comfortable bed with clean linens.

I've never visited a friend or relative and found anything like flowers or chocolates in my room, but I guess it would be a pleasant surprise. When I stay at someone's house *I* tend to be the one bringing something for the host; after all, they're the ones putting me up and saving me money I'd have spent in a hotel.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:03 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
I don't know, a good bed?

Old 10-13-2018, 09:25 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I don't know, a good bed?
That would be my second choice.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Cleanliness--a spotless room, everything fresh and clean, from sheets to towels. But no Febreze or any other noxious, chemically-based "freshener." Some people are allergic to that awful stuff. And it's totally unnecessary, besides just adding more unnecessary garbage to landfills.

Organic toiletries in the bathroom: shampoo, soap, and toothpaste (maybe a new toothbrush, as well, in case the guest forgot theirs--and good for the host/hostess, too, since it saves a possible trip to the drugstore to procure one).

A hair dryer.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Curtains/shades that close fully and block the light for those who are sensitive to too much light in the early morning.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
A lamp on the bedside table so you don’t have to get back out of bed to turn out the light. And an outlet within reach of the bed for charging. Actually you could combine the two, as there are now several models of bed and/or desk lamps with USB ports built into the base.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Good grief, Kathryn, can I come stay with you?? Sounds like the Ritz!
Haha, it's just what we do! I've been big into this since I was about 20 years old - I can't explain it.

But I was so proud of my daughter when I visited her and her family recently for several days. She had outdone me - she even had a little basket - a cute basket like a tray - laying on the bed, and it had toiletries, nice, decadent little lotions and things like that, several new white washcloths and a new towel, some teabags, and some little snacky things, with pretty little ribbons tied around the towels and washcloths, a couple of magazines - and she told me, "Please keep the lotions - I bought them just for you!" My goodness!

Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haha, it's just what we do! I've been big into this since I was about 20 years old - I can't explain it.

But I was so proud of my daughter when I visited her and her family recently for several days. She had outdone me - she even had a little basket - a cute basket like a tray - laying on the bed, and it had toiletries, nice, decadent little lotions and things like that, several new white washcloths and a new towel, some teabags, and some little snacky things, with pretty little ribbons tied around the towels and washcloths, a couple of magazines - and she told me, "Please keep the lotions - I bought them just for you!" My goodness!
You taught her well

Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I put things in my guest room and guest bathroom that I would like. A nice comfy bed with good quality linens, a reading lamp, lots of pillows, hotel sized soaps and toiletries.

I don’t have a good place for a TV, but if I did, I would provide one. No one has ever really wanted one, that I know of.

In season, I put fresh flowers from the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships