Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The other already mentioned....

a cat

(or three) for those that enjoy them. Bedroom door cracked for a visit if they love cats, closed if they'd rather not have a nighttime visitor.
I cat-napped the kitty who was staying at my father's house (belongs to his sister-in-law), and made her cuddle with me while I was there... having cats and a dog at home, I get lonely without a pet in the room! She indulged me for a little while every night, and would then scratch to get out & go back to "her" room. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:33 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
I agree that I wouldn't want the room or bed "scented" with anything. But, as far as someone having allergies, etc., I would think that if someone were staying in your home, you would be aware of that already. You could always ask ahead of time if they had issues with that, food, or whatever.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times
I have an especially sweet and well-known dog Roosticus (you can google her) she always hangs out with guests and may offer to sleep in their room. This is a big old house and some find it comforting.. Any adverse to dogs would tell me..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To answer the original question, I'd appreciate anything that doesn't have a strong scent - meaning NO flowers, candles, air fresheners, sachets, etc. For those of us with floral/scent allergies, that can make a stay very unpleasant! When I was staying at my father & step-mother's house last year, even the laundry detergent they used on the comforter made me sniffle all week. And I was too lazy to re-wash everything in there (with a scent-free detergent), so I just suffered through it.

Please keep that in mind for your house guests, because as nice as they might look, a lot of people are allergic to flowers & such... and they might not want to be rude by saying anything.
I just now read your post, and you're right, that's true, so I would definitely suggest asking about these things beforehand to make everything go more smoothly. They can answer honestly and might feel less rude than they would by bringing it up themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I cat-napped the kitty who was staying at my father's house (belongs to his sister-in-law), and made her cuddle with me while I was there... having cats and a dog at home, I get lonely without a pet in the room! She indulged me for a little while every night, and would then scratch to get out & go back to "her" room. LOL
Lol! That's too cute.

I remember staying at some of my relatives' home out of state, and totally fell in love with their cat (who thought he was one of us ). He made us feel very welcome and kept us entertained the whole time.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM

922 posts, read 793,004 times
Quote:
Oh. Never heard of no top sheet....

People are so weird.
My husband and I never use a top sheet. He is always cold and I am always hot. We each have blankets we like. I can't stand rough material due to neuropathy so mine is light and soft. His is heavy and rough. It works fine for us, but I wouldn't assume that would be okay for a guest, so would use top and bottom sheets.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
I'd like coffee in my room too. Maybe, since I don't have another coffee maker, I'll just take her a cup when I hear her moving around...(we aren't that formal) and then give her time to drink it.
That sounds very nice. Although the anonymous coward who left the "YOU make coffee in your BEDROOM???!!!!!" comment has obviously never stayed in a hotel or had b'kfast served in bed. A friend who is a home builder custom made a home for a client, complete with espresso machine built into the bedroom wall & a built-in wine cooler on the other side. Pampering is nice.

Honestly, GBH, you sound so accommodating & observant to your guests, I'm sure your guest will greatly enjoy their stay & appreciate the lengths you go to to ensure their comfort.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
That sounds very nice. Although the anonymous coward who left the "YOU make coffee in your BEDROOM???!!!!!" comment has obviously never stayed in a hotel or had b'kfast served in bed. A friend who is a home builder custom made a home for a client, complete with espresso machine built into the bedroom wall & a built-in wine cooler on the other side. Pampering is nice.

Honestly, GBH, you sound so accommodating & observant to your guests, I'm sure your guest will greatly enjoy their stay & appreciate the lengths you go to to ensure their comfort.
That's exactly the same thought I had when I first read just the bolded part of your post, have they never stayed in a hotel?? I will admit, though, that the mountain "cabin" we stayed at that had the coffee machine in the bathroom was... less than desirable.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's exactly the same thought I had when I first read just the bolded part of your post, have they never stayed in a hotel?? I will admit, though, that the mountain "cabin" we stayed at that had the coffee machine in the bathroom was... less than desirable.
Haha. Yeah, bathroom java wouldn't be my 1st choice (but I've had it if the only motels available were Motel 6 & the like)... but when I travel, I bring my espresso maker & have an outlet in the trunk. I have been known to make trunk espresso shots at rest stops on long journeys!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 PM

765 posts, read 474,322 times
a handsome hunka hunka hunka fireman (wearing his adorable suspenders)

Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,510 times
Clean fresh room is the most important fo me.....no plug in scents or chemical smells, just clean fresh air.
Bottle of water, easy access to bathroom, no pets in bedroom I love animals but am allergic to some breeds. Firm mattress, soft pillow. I expect nothing more .....Feeling welcomed as a guest is more than enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships