Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ear plugs don't work at all for me or most people I know, not only do they just fall out, but they're incredibly uncomfortable and no solution against noise. I always wonder how people "get used to" offensive noises. I can't sleep if there's any noise audible besides just white noise. I bring my fan to my best friend's house to drown out as much noise as I can and turn it up a bit higher, at least that helps more than anything else, but a house really should be quiet. If it's not, you need to redo insulation, add soundproof windows, and upgrade the place so it's quiet as a library. The indoors shouldn't sound like the outdoors.
Some noises are people based, like snoring, going to the bathroom, a kid waking up and going to the parents room. There's also noises that pets make, like a hamster wheel, aquarium pump, or a cat scratching its post.

Other noises are almost unavoidable depending on where you live. An active urban neighborhood will have a lot more activity, happening closer to the bedroom. I don't think you can reasonably insulate well enough to drown out fire truck sirens or car doors closing 15 feet from a bedroom window, as can be the case in a row house.

I would still err on the side of providing ear plugs since they are so cheap and small. If the guest doesn't want to use them, that's fine. You do bring up a good point that providing a fan or space heater to provide some noise wouldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ear plugs don't work at all for me or most people I know, not only do they just fall out, but they're incredibly uncomfortable and no solution against noise. I always wonder how people "get used to" offensive noises. I can't sleep if there's any noise audible besides just white noise. I bring my fan to my best friend's house to drown out as much noise as I can and turn it up a bit higher, at least that helps more than anything else, but a house really should be quiet. If it's not, you need to redo insulation, add soundproof windows, and upgrade the place so it's quiet as a library. The indoors shouldn't sound like the outdoors.
I hate ear plugs and I don't understand how anyone can sleep with them. The only time I ever use them is if I'm in a situation where I need to protect my hearing - and that doesn't happen very often. I don't use power tools, lawnmowers or anything like that because I hire people to do those things for me. I could never wear them while sleeping.

I agree with you about the fan. I always sleep with a fan running. Like you, I take one with me, when I go to another person's house to sleep. If I am flying and can't take a fan with me, I'll buy one once I get to my destination. Gotta have a fan!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
I live in the forest where the only noises to hear are owls communicating...
so no white noise machine here.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 AM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I live in the forest where the only noises to hear are owls communicating...
so no white noise machine here.
My kids are city kids and for them there is such a thing as 'too quiet' to sleep.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM

66 posts, read 40,983 times
some books and a TV

Old 10-19-2018, 12:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
Quote:
what would you most enjoy seeing in your guest room when you arrive?

Something pleasant, that would make you smile?
Toiletries and a chocolate as stated in this thread. Also anything whimsical you may share with them in your past or history would be nice. Maybe a goofy frame picture from a prior experience or memory together.

Generally just anything welcoming into them into your home is really all that asked.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My husband and I never use a top sheet. He is always cold and I am always hot. We each have blankets we like. I can't stand rough material due to neuropathy so mine is light and soft. His is heavy and rough. It works fine for us, but I wouldn't assume that would be okay for a guest, so would use top and bottom sheets.

Same here. I always used one until I moved in with my husband. He doesn't like them and now I don't. I hate the mummy feel of them in bed. I just want a loose blanket on top of me.

What I would like is a bed with clean sheets, access to clean towels and a door that closes. When I am at a guest's/family's house I don't spend much time in my room.

What I will have for my niece when she comes next month:
Clean sheets including a top sheet, soft pillows and a clean blanket.

A housecoat/robe and a pair of flip flops she can use if she wants.

Hangers and some space if she wants to hang clothes.

Empty drawers that she can use.

A nightlight in the bathroom.

Touch lamps on the nightstand.

A few books and magazines I think she might like.

Available in "her" bathroom all kinds of toiletries and otc medicines if she needs it.

Fresh towels and washcloths and yes a new scrubby.

She is bringing her dog...so an older but clean blanket if he sleeps with her.

A couple of dog bowls in the kitchen.

I think she is a night owl. We have a large TV in the living room next to her bedroom. She can sit in a recliner all night and watch whatever she wants using the headphones

My house is small. If she wants coffee or tea it is easier to go into the kitchen for it.

There will also be homemade goodies during her stay and the kitchen will be stocked with foods she likes. I will take her shopping after she gets here.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Same here. I always used one until I moved in with my husband. He doesn't like them and now I don't. I hate the mummy feel of them in bed. I just want a loose blanket on top of me.

What I would like is a bed with clean sheets, access to clean towels and a door that closes. When I am at a guest's/family's house I don't spend much time in my room.

What I will have for my niece when she comes next month:
Clean sheets including a top sheet, soft pillows and a clean blanket.

A housecoat/robe and a pair of flip flops she can use if she wants.

Hangers and some space if she wants to hang clothes.

Empty drawers that she can use.

A nightlight in the bathroom.

Touch lamps on the nightstand.

A few books and magazines I think she might like.

Available in "her" bathroom all kinds of toiletries and otc medicines if she needs it.

Fresh towels and washcloths and yes a new scrubby.

She is bringing her dog...so an older but clean blanket if he sleeps with her.

A couple of dog bowls in the kitchen.

I think she is a night owl. We have a large TV in the living room next to her bedroom. She can sit in a recliner all night and watch whatever she wants using the headphones

My house is small. If she wants coffee or tea it is easier to go into the kitchen for it.

There will also be homemade goodies during her stay and the kitchen will be stocked with foods she likes. I will take her shopping after she gets here.

Can *I* be your niece?????

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post

Me too???

Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Sure

Quote:
Me too???
Anytime. Did your friend come yet?

Right now I am trying ot plan some fun activities. We are going swimming with the manatees

I did mention robe/housecoat because I know when I am at someone's house sometimes after taking a shower the bathroom is too hot to get dressed in and I don't want to walk down the hall to my room in a towel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships