Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Now let's just hope that u know who reacts to this. I won't post anything negative, but I hope she feels a little bit guilty for snubbing us all these years. Not nice.
More manipulation.

It's great that you had a good visit. Really! I hope someone gave you that pat on the back you so desperately are seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:19 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,603 times
If your new found family and yourself survived without knowing one another all these years, why do you want to force the issue upon someone who clearly wants no part of your shenanigans?
Question for OP

Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
I met 12 new cousins from 23 and me. And they are related to the cousin that doesn't see me anymore. Many of them told me their jaws dropped when they got my message. They all are descendants of my father's new cousin, who never knew any of her extended family. This was all for their mom & grandma. She was so happy.

Also, my sister met her cousin who she grew up with and didn't know she was a relative. It was odd for her, but great.

I'm making moves. I'm gonna see if I get a response from u know who on FB when I post about this tomorrow.

But the point is, that we all had fun. I don't see why people tell me they can't find anything in common with their cousins. I didn't have anything in common with them, but we found things to talk about. So many hugs and laughs. One of them is kind of a neighbor. And he said his jaws dropped when he heard he lived right next to us. He told me that he's gonna come next week and empty our fridge lol.

I'm beside myself right now. I touched other's hearts. Now let's just hope that u know who reacts to this. I won't post anything negative, but I hope she feels a little bit guilty for snubbing us all these years. Not nice.
Making moves.

Jaws dropped.

I touched others' hearts.

I hope she feels guilty.

Wow. Just wow. This obsession is down right bizarre & I have a feeling these new strangers caught on to this and you won't be hearing from them much longer either.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
Quote:
I met 12 new cousins from 23 and me. And they are related to the cousin that doesn't see me anymore. Many of them told me their jaws dropped when they got my message. They all are descendants of my father's new cousin, who never knew any of her extended family. This was all for their mom & grandma. She was so happy.

Also, my sister met her cousin who she grew up with and didn't know she was a relative. It was odd for her, but great.

I'm making moves. I'm gonna see if I get a response from u know who on FB when I post about this tomorrow.

But the point is, that we all had fun. I don't see why people tell me they can't find anything in common with their cousins. I didn't have anything in common with them, but we found things to talk about. So many hugs and laughs. One of them is kind of a neighbor. And he said his jaws dropped when he heard he lived right next to us. He told me that he's gonna come next week and empty our fridge lol.

I'm beside myself right now. I touched other's hearts. Now let's just hope that u know who reacts to this. I won't post anything negative, but I hope she feels a little bit guilty for snubbing us all these years. Not nice.
Way to ruin your own nice story, dude.

Equivalent of "Nah nah nah nah nah nah. I've got more relatives that like ME than YOU." Ridiculous.

Your DAD could have made a move "all these years" and didn't.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
Quote:
Wish I would know why we went from visiting every single year for decades to being snubbed. It has nothing to do with me though. I was too young to have caused anything.
Right. You're fighting a fight that isn't yours.

And the fact of the matter is – there may have been no "fight" at all.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 10-22-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 07:51 AM

6,872 posts, read 4,873,766 times
I am glad you had a good time. Do you suppose you will be seeing more of these relatives?

I doubt the cousin that didn't show up is going to care in the least that she missed the event, though. Just human nature. She will probably say she was sorry to have missed it to be polite, but I wouldn't count on it being sincere. The important thing is YOU had a good time. Don't obsess on her. It's her loss and life goes on.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
For her whole family snubbing us all these years. My way of showing her that now I have more family I see than she does and I don't need her.

That is rather spiteful and you are being petty. Why not let it go and focus on the joy you had.
You claim you are a nice person, so be nice

Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Wish I would know why we went from visiting every single year for decades to being snubbed. It has nothing to do with me though. I was too young to have caused anything.

Because it’s none of your business and the more you try to manipulate and act petty and hurtful the more this cousin is going to stay away from what seems like a toxic hateful situation. You claim you are a nice person , so act like a nice person instead of taking all this personally and seeking petty revenge.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
For her whole family snubbing us all these years. My way of showing her that now I have more family I see than she does and I don't need her.
You are trying to win a game against opponents who don't even know or care they are playing. Congratulations!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
I wonder if that's why our cousin chose to go her separate way. But then again, I put the blame on her because she's the one I have on FB, but then there's her mom and her sisters. For some reason they don't invite us anymore. It used to be an annual tradition every holidays.

I wonder if they just felt they don't connect with us. Perhaps it was all forced and they were just acting? I just don't understand why they wouldn't want wonderful people there. There was no apparent reason. We saw each other I repeat EVERY single year. The tradition lasted well over 50 years, even in my dad's childhood.
I was thinking about this one family hosting for decades, well over 50 years. Did it ever occur to you that it may have reached a point where they were just fed up that other families weren't taking over the responsibility of hosting? Or maybe Great-grandma was the one insisting on hosting and she passed away? Or, the children/grandchildren wanted to start their own traditions with their own families and their spouse's families? Or any number of other things?

I know a family that for about a decade (when the siblings were young adults) took turns holding holiday celebrations at each other's houses. Christmas at Sally's house one year and at Jack's house the next year. Easter was at Joe's house one year and at Mary's house the next year. It worked out great, everyone got to share the hosting, everyone shared the work, everyone shared the fun of showing off their house and their cooking. Then Mary bought a big new house and wanted to take more turns hosting. It was great for few years, as everyone still had a few turns at their homes but Mary just had more turns.

Then Mary started to insist that EVERY celebration was held at her house and had excuse and excuse why her family could not travel five minutes to go to Joe's house and especially not (horrors!) twenty-five minutes to Sally's house. Well, Joe and his wife really wanted to host some of the celebrations but Mary "put her foot down". After 10 to 15 years of "sucking it up" Joe and his wife and kids just stopped attending most of "family" celebrations. After all, they actually had a bigger house and really wanted to host some of the get-togethers but Mary said it was "too far" and "too inconvenient" for her, her husband and kids to drive (??? five minutes ???).

It is now forty years later since these celebrations started. Now, Mary is very unhappy and feels that her siblings are "taking advantage" of her constant hosting but when Sally offered to host Thanksgiving at her house Mary said "No, it is tradition to have it at my house. It can't be held anywhere else." Guess what? Sally and her husband decided to take a vacation instead of celebrating Thanksgiving this year. What a mess. IMHO, if they had continued taking turns for holiday celebrations, even if Joe's house wasn't ideal or Jack and his wife weren't gourmet chefs it would have been better.

OP, if those holiday celebrations with family were so great why didn't your parents take over hosting them when the cousin's stopped doing it? Why did your cousin's family always have to hold them (for 50 years)?

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-22-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships