Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

This is none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
this is none of your business.
+1.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
It’s no surprise she calls Dad not you.

Your harsh judgements of your son in law will only keep you alienated from your family. She loves and married him. He sounds like a responsible stay at home dad right now.

Please find something else to obsess about, for the sake of the whole family. If you “can’t look” at your son in law, you won’t be looking at your grandchild much either.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
My brother-in-law gave my sister the best advice when my niece had been dating her loser boyfriend for five years: "she has eyes."

Having said that, we have an only daughter and would be distressed to think our hard earned savings were going to support a spouse's lifestyle choices (if that is truly the case). I assume you can't change what has already been set up but I would be careful to minimize financial support going forward so as not to become a reliable source of income.

Ultimately, I am sure you care most about your daughter's happiness and you may be inadvertently adding to that stress by criticizing her husband's situation. Sometime when my daughter relates a distressing situation especially involving a friend/boyfriend, I just say "how can I help you" "Is there anything I can do."

Old 10-30-2018, 12:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Support your daughter emotionally. That's about all you can do. Be sympathetic but stay out of it. Although you don't like him, maybe/hopefully, she loves him.

If she does end up leaving him, she's going to need all the support you can give.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
He has lot of positive qualities--he is taking care of the house and he is good dad--

It doesn't remotely sound like your SIL is a loser but it does sound like you think your daughter is fragile and can't hold up when times get tough. Their "plight" is just part of normal life ups and downs for couples in this day and age. Let them work it out themselves.
Don't diss her husband in front of your daughter. Support their marriage as gracefully as you can muster. In the scope of things, it is still early days.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I have five sons. They're all grown and married and have children. Their wives all work, except for one who was a teacher but lost her life to cancer. We are all on good terms.

I don't know how much money they make or how many jobs they've had. I know where they currently work but that's because they freely shared that with me. I know about the young children and their activities and the grown ones not so much.

It sounds like you know too much about the inner workings of your daughter's marriage and that can't be good for you. The knowing seems to be very stressful. It might be a good idea for you to discourage your daughter from "sharing" the details.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was livid and wanted to cry at the same time
Why? It's none of your business. If they have a good relationship, then the money situation would be something they discussed together. I doubt she went out and got a tutoring job in secret, it would be something they decided together. You seem to know way too much about their relationship, but you dont know everything. Your daughter really shouldn't even be venting about her marriage problems to you if your going to become angry at her husbanf because of it.

Quote:
Should he be willing to move for a decent job?
Should he be willing to take a lesser job to bring in money?
The question isn't "should he..." They're married, they need to decide these things together and come up with a solution that is best for their family.

Should they be willing to move for a decent job? Maybe... But that is for them to decide, not you.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:51 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Of course it's their decision as a married couple but I can have empathy that she is rightly concerned about her daughter -- working two jobs; SIL maintaining condo which adds to financial burden; use of daughter's LLC funds for living expenses that mother hoped would be for daughter's retirement. For her daughter's benefit, she will need to grin and bear it but I understand her concern.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
How do you keep from going nuts about this situation? I’d say by minding your own business and accept your daughter made her own choices and who she married. You seem far too involved in knowing about your daughter’s marriage and financial circumstances.

Perhaps you and your husband can help redirect her venting to more appropriate channels. As much as I struggle with my dil at times I would never let my son complain about her to me. Talk about a recipe for in law resentments, anger, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships