Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Among my friends and close relatives, this is the scorecard for when people had their first child.

Hubby and me. Married five years, Hubby, undergraduate degree, master's degree, law degree. Me, undergraduate degree, master's degree. Both 30 years old.

Big Brother and wife. Married five years, both with college degrees. Both 28 years old.

Big Sister and husband. Married three years, both with undergraduate degrees & master's degrees. Both 26 plus years old.

Little Brother and wife. Married four years, both with undergraduate degrees, Both 30 years old.

Our son and most of our nieces and nephews, and most of our friends were married for two to five years before they had their first child, all had finished their educations and had good jobs and all were in their mid/late twenties or early thirties.

Guess what? Not even one divorce in the group, except for the couple that were teenage parents, didn't finish their education before the pregnancy, had crappy jobs and a crappy life and got divorced before their baby turned two years old.

That is why I wouldn't be cheering for an unmarried, 18 year old to be pregnant. I suspect that is why you are not getting as many "cheers" as you expected. I really wish the best for you, but I suspect that it will be much harder than you imagine. Much, much harder.
This.
In our and many people's worlds (and statistically better for kids), you are established, financially secure, and married prior to having kids.

Op's situation would not be applauded when I was 18 or when my kids will be 18. It would be completely inconceivable (npi).

Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because you're 18 (they think you're too young)

Unmarried and pregnant(you're having a kid out of wedlock)

And you're uneducated (they think you don't have the smarts)

If you want to prove them wrong then finish your bachlors education, get married, and get a good paying job. No it won't be easy but it's possible.

Hey now, they could get married before the Child is born.

What is it with people saying they are engaged but never having the wedding or going to the justice of the peace? There's no longer any stigma to living together or having children out of wedlock. Why bother with the fiance nonsense?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I think many parents, esp. younger ones need childcare education classes. It doesn't come "automatically" for sure.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Congrats
You need to quit that CNA job though.You need to get a desk job.,,will be much better for you.
No, don't quit CNA job. Continue, get your BSN and whether you are married or not, being a Registered Nurse ensures a great salary and tons of opportunities.

Imho... just don't have any more kids until school is over.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

And, if I'm your parent, I'm thinking, "Wait. I just finished raising my daughter to adulthood. Will I have to immediately start helping to raise a grandchild, too?" As someone whose last child is about to depart to college, I can't tell you how much trepidation I would feel.
good points...I agree.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, including your alleged fiancee. You have a fetus to support now. Get to work. The road ahead will be long, but it will be fulfilling. Getting pregnant young has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side, being young yourself, you will have plenty of energy to care for the baby. On the minus side, you won't have as much money. I agree with whoever said to ditch the CNA job. You will never earn anything doing that and the benefits are nonexistent. Start looking for something better paying. Another beginner medical position is a better idea.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
No, don't quit CNA job. Continue, get your BSN and whether you are married or not, being a Registered Nurse ensures a great salary and tons of opportunities.

Imho... just don't have any more kids until school is over.
She said she had a CNA certificate. We don’t know if she has a job.

Also there are (supposedly) two sisters who use this username FWIW.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
She said she had a CNA certificate. We don’t know if she has a job.

Also there are (supposedly) two sisters who use this username FWIW.
Posters need to realize this. One time you get one sister; maybe the other the next time. She admitted this herself in another thread.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yep. OP, it doesn't even sound like you're still in a relationship with this guy.

Fiance? I don't see it. He's blocked you and is ignoring you, as of end of October.
I think that was Angie's sister. Unless this is Angie's sister, then it would be Angie. Either way, I think you're talking about the sister of the person that started this thread.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angieeee View Post
Me, my fiancé and my mom announced to Facebook I was pregnant and people are making indirect statuses. I’m 18, I have a car, cna certificate, I live with the guy i’m Engaged to and he’s actually gonna be And is happy to be apart of our child’s life and my pregnancy. He even posted the ultra sound. A lot of other girls can’t relate to that. They’re not even fiancé’s they’re just baby moms. At least he proposed and i’m Gonna be his wife and not just his baby mama.
People have given you the reasons why you are being met with skepticism.

Honestly though, you have to learn to ignore what people say and focus on that baby. Start practicing now, because you will need that skill even more once the child is here. Other people's opinons will never stop coming in when it comes to parenting.

The takeaway here is that kids need stability and love to thrive. The more mature and established you are when kids are born the better the odds you and your finance wil be able to provide that. But, many a young person has stepped up to the plate once the kid is here. If even one parent understands what is needed the child is in a much better position.

Focus on beng that parent from here on out. It's going to be hard but keep your eye on the prize... what is the best environment for my child, and how can I provide that?

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.