Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:38 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Thanks. Both items you list are problems. My brother and sister in law do not like Jane and me--that's clear--but they probably figure that they "have" to tolerate us on infrequent occasions because otherwise there is no family whatsoever, other than a few of SIL's relatives. SIL is totally blameless- she is a wonderful person, and it's not "required" to like someone.
Geez. And you are going – why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
I don't understand why someone would subject "Jane" to a gathering where she is not liked.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
For Thanksgiving, one family member ("Jane") and I are heading to my brother's house for a 24-hour visit. My brother and his family dislike Jane and constantly tell me how much Jane bugs them. I'm sure that they think the same of me.

My family is very direct. I'm thinking of emailing my brother before the visit, saying, "You tell me how much Jane bugs you, and I don't want to be a Jane, so just let me know specific things I've done in past visits that annoy you all, so I won't do them again." I'm sure that my brother would respond with a whole list of things. His wife is the kindest and most gracious person, and she might find that odd.

Question: Good idea to ask for that kind of feedback before going? I figure that it's better to know the "ground rules" in advance, to make for a better trip, but it's certainly not a normal thing to ask for.

Thanks.

This is precisely why we only have immediate family members at our special Holiday sit downs. We want that dinner to be special, and when you interject more distant relatives into the mix, it is sometimes testy. So much more pleasant when only your close family is there, no brother in laws, etc.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Thanks, everyone.

Jane has no idea that she's not liked. She invites herself to their house frequently, and they allow her to come a few times a year.

I don't know why I'm not liked, but it's clear that I am not. Fine by me, although I'd prefer to change whatever behaviors I'm doing that result in not being liked--I'd rather know what they are. When I go, I try to just say as little as possible and stay away from the relatives as much as possible, to minimize bugging them.

I'd rather just stay home, frankly.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: This is a terrible idea. Why would you give those people that kind of power? And you are throwing "Jane" under the bus, so you aren't that "nice" yourself.

Why would you want to hang out with such nasty people?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Why don't you, then? Tell your brother you're not traveling and invite Jane to yours for a get-together.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

Jane has no idea that she's not liked. She invites herself to their house frequently, and they allow her to come a few times a year.

I don't know why I'm not liked, but it's clear that I am not. Fine by me, although I'd prefer to change whatever behaviors I'm doing that result in not being liked--I'd rather know what they are. When I go, I try to just say as little as possible and stay away from the relatives as much as possible, to minimize bugging them.

Well, good heavens, then do so.

If they already have a bad opinion of you, how much worse can staying home make it?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Why don't you and Jane go somewhere nice and keep it simple?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
The solution is so blindingly obvious: don't go. If neither your brother nor your sister-in-law like you, and you don't seem to like your brother either (though you do speak well of your SIL), then why subject yourself to all this frustration?

And how is Jane involved in all this? Is she also part of this family? Or is she connected to you (such as being your girlfriend) but is not related to your brother or SIL?

Assuming that Jane has a relationship with your brother and/or SIL independently of yours, it's up to her to decide whether or not to go. But I see no upside to you going, and plenty of upside to staying home (with or without Jane).

Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
OP, I don't think your idea is terrible, but I think the timing of it is. I understand wanting to get to the root of whatever the problem is, but if you do it now it will be on everyone's mind during the holiday. That seems like it would make for a long, uncomfortable day for all of you. If it were me, I'd very delicately bring the subject up at some more neutral time, like mid June or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships