Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 AM

46 posts, read 22,557 times

Advertisements

Background on question: I am 22 and he is 23. I met my boyfriend in 2012 and we dated until 2017. In 2016, he left to join the military and was recently discharged and living in Texas still. We broke up due to long distance, but have talked every day since and I finally went to visit him in person in February of this year. He and I decided that I should move in with him, and I am ready for a change. When I told my mom I was going to visit him, she called me a disappointment and that she was going to find him on Facebook and tell him to leave me the eff alone. She said I need to move on from him and that she will never approve. My dad is quite and said he was disappointed in me when I went to visit. My mother is emotionally abusive and hates everything about me and him, separately and together. She has never liked our relationship due to his mental illness, him being my first boyfriend, and him growing up in a bad home life. She will kill me when I tell her I am leaving, but I am applying for jobs and have somewhere to keep up on my own medication for my mental illness. How do I tell her and my dad that I am moving to Texas from Ohio to live with this guy that they hate? I'm scared to death to tell her because I'm afraid of what she'll do to me and I'm scared to tell my dad because I dont want him to be disappointed and hurt by me because I actually do love him and want him in my life in the future unlike her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv47 View Post
I am 22 and he is 23.

How do I tell her and my dad that I am moving ....?
After the fact.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:12 AM

264 posts, read 229,994 times
You are a grown woman. I suggest you set everything up and go. Tell her as you're leaving otherwise, she will find a way to manipulate you into staying. Emotionally abusive is sometimes the worst kind of abusive because it can be subtle or straight forward however again, you are an adult. It's time to forge your own path and do what's right for you, not your parents.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv47 View Post
Background on question: I am 22 and he is 23. I met my boyfriend in 2012 and we dated until 2017. In 2016, he left to join the military and was recently discharged and living in Texas still. We broke up due to long distance, but have talked every day since and I finally went to visit him in person in February of this year. He and I decided that I should move in with him, and I am ready for a change. When I told my mom I was going to visit him, she called me a disappointment and that she was going to find him on Facebook and tell him to leave me the eff alone. She said I need to move on from him and that she will never approve. My dad is quite and said he was disappointed in me when I went to visit. My mother is emotionally abusive and hates everything about me and him, separately and together. She has never liked our relationship due to his mental illness, him being my first boyfriend, and him growing up in a bad home life. She will kill me when I tell her I am leaving, but I am applying for jobs and have somewhere to keep up on my own medication for my mental illness. How do I tell her and my dad that I am moving to Texas from Ohio to live with this guy that they hate? I'm scared to death to tell her because I'm afraid of what she'll do to me and I'm scared to tell my dad because I dont want him to be disappointed and hurt by me because I actually do love him and want him in my life in the future unlike her.
How did he manage to enlist with a mental illness?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I’d say just go and drop Them a line after, they have a choice to accept it or not, but how they treat you thereafter will determine the rest of your relationship, if there is one left to have with them. You’re an adult , not a baby. So live your life.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I would not tell them in advance.

But are you sure that moving in with him is the best idea? What mental illness does he have? Can you afford to live on your own there, without moving in with him? Do you know anyone else in Texas?

Please use reliable birth control, whatever you do.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
How did he manage to enlist with a mental illness?
This. More info needed. We don't know anything about the quality of this relationship; only that you've been with this guy (except for the LDR period) since you were 15. You should be sure you have a good job there, so that if things don't work out--and they may not, because living with someone is different from dating them--you'll be able to get your own place. In fact, I'm inclined to suggest, that you go there planning to have your own place from the start. Then, if things go well, you can move in together later.

But you didn't ask for advice about that. I don't understand, why both parents said you were a "disappointment", just for going to visit your bf. What's wrong with visiting a friend? Are they very conservative, and disapprove of sex before marriage, is that it? If so, there's no way around it, you'll just have to go. Overprotective parents tend to make decisions that prevent their kids from growing up and maturing.

What kind of job does he have? Has he dealt with his childhood abuse issues? That can handicap people in life, and it can make it challenging to maintain a stable relationship.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
Say Bye when you're walking out the door. You're an adult and can do what you want without your mothers permission.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
Don't tell her until after you're in Texas with him BUT be sure moving to Texas is the right thing to do. If you move and it doesn't work out, it doesn't sound like you will be able to move back home. If things with your boyfriend don't go as planned (and it sounds like that's a possibility), what's your back up plan? Where will you go? Where will you live? Can you support yourself? All those questions need to be answered before you move.

I agree with BirdieBelle, make sure you're using effective birth control.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Living in the same town as him, but with your own place to live, would be a better start, imo. Are you paying rent to your parents? If not, then save the money that would go toward rent, until you have enough for a deposit on your own place. Going from the frying pan, into the fire, is not a good idea. I, like others, are curious as to his mental illness. And I strongly agree about using solid birth control, util you know more about your future relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships