Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM

741 posts, read 590,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I give away beef jerky I make and also home made sausage....
I would love that as a gift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I think $60 is way too much. I agree with the other posters you should set a limit. It’s supposed to be fun, not put a strain on your wallet.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
Well one friend, I guess we'll say her name is Hailey, texted and said she changed her mind. instead of her original stuff, she asked if it were possible if all five of us could chip in and get her a nintendo switch. it's $300 so thats $60 per person. I said I wouldn't mind if everyone else agreed. But one friend, Lily, pretty much said no. But she got mad at me for bringing it up. She said $60 was too much to spend on one person. ?
Tell Hailey to go buy the nintendo switch for herself. How old is she? I wouldn't even have asked for that when I was a kid. Good grief.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,187 times
Well in the group chat everyone else agreed to do it. So i will as well. Im starting to shop for everyone else next week so I can have the gifts wrapped and ready to go. we are going to celebrate on christmas eve at one of their places. With Hailey I'm going to give the cash toanother person and so is everyone else so they can buy the switch. No one else seemed to have a problem with it. Only Lily and she hasn't really said anything else.

I dont know, actually I really dont have a problem with it. At least Hailey will get something she likes and will hopefully enjoy it. I mean i'd rather her get a gift she does like rather then get six gift she doesn't, if that makes any sense. I guess I was just worried that everyone would be mad, and that Lily was mad at me. Who knows. But no one else seems to be mind really.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't have any advice about the Christmas stuff, but I'm glad to see you're back on your feet again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm happy to see you are doing well Belle!

And I agree with the others, suggest a spending limit. It won't be fun if it causes financial stress for anybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I'm so glad for you that you're doing well! This is a big step for you, young lady - keep at it!

So: "Hailey" was definitely out of line, and I can't blame the other friend for being vexed, though I think she was vexed at Hailey, not at you. Really, there should be a spending limit for a situation like this. $5-$10. But if this is a group of friends that was established, and you're the new member, they should be the ones to figure out the rules. Let them duke it out - don't get in the middle of it.

But I hope they set a small spending limit, because you need to save your hard-earned money, girlfriend! So you can get your education, and have the life you want. No need to be spending $300 (between the 5 different friends) at this point in your life. That's a danged course credit! Also, I hope you don't let this put a damper on your holidays. It's so exciting that you found a group of friends - just have fun with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm glad to hear that life is looking up for you now Belle. Hailey was way out of line. I'm going to guess she's not spending $60 on each person in the group. This reeks of a gift grab by her and is really out of line with the spirit of the exchange.

Please suggest a $ limit. I'm willing to bet that others will be thankful someone stood up and did it. If no one else, Lily will appreciate it. This should be a fun thing for all, not a source of stress.

Not to be nagging, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of you spending $60 on multiple people for gifts given your very recent, financial precarious situation. I love my youngest nephews and am financially able to spend more than $60 on each of them. That doesn't mean I do it. Last year I bought them a family museum pass that can be used around the country. They've used it multiple times. I think it cost about $100 for three of them. I did also buy them some small token toy. The total was well under $60 each. This year their gifts are about $35 each because of a couple of great sales.

My point is that you can find thoughtful gifts for far less than that amount per person. You should be saving at least 10% or more of every paycheck. You don't want to end up homeless again.
Thank you all so much! yes, things are much better now! i am renting my own trailer and have a great job and Christmas plans, which ya'll know is a big deal for me because i normally spend holidays alone. God is good, prayers have been answered and things are great

Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 AM

6 posts, read 4,414 times
I definitely plan my christmas budget and start planning since the start of the year. Becuase christmas is very special to me and it is one of the best time for the biggest family get togethers. so yeah, I plan and save whole year to have the best time with my loved ones.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
Thank you all so much! yes, things are much better now! i am renting my own trailer and have a great job and Christmas plans, which ya'll know is a big deal for me because i normally spend holidays alone. God is good, prayers have been answered and things are great
Call me nosey but I'm curious where you gals work since all seem OK spending $60 X5 on a secret Santa.
Is this a high paying position you're in? If so than that'd make more sense that all would spend so much more than is usual. Even my husband who made 6 figures and myself when my fee was $150/hr for a consultation never saw workplace gift exchanges with that dollar amount.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Call me nosey but I'm curious where you gals work since all seem OK spending $60 X5 on a secret Santa.
Is this a high paying position you're in? If so than that'd make more sense that all would spend so much more than is usual. Even my husband who made 6 figures and myself when my fee was $150/hr for a consultation never saw workplace gift exchanges with that dollar amount.
it's not a work thing but a friend gift exchange. we are friends outside of work.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I don't really have a budget or mind spending $$$ if a gift is just right, but that chick asking for a gaming platform is beyond obnoxious.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't really have a budget or mind spending $$$ if a gift is just right, but that chick asking for a gaming platform is beyond obnoxious.
I agree, and I doubt she will spend $60 each on all the other girls either.

I really hope OP has seen a dentist now that she has a good job, it would be the best Christmas gift she could give herself. Dental problems do not solve themselves even if the pain has subsided temporarily, they just get worse.

Tooth hurts, what can I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships