Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

Again this year, I'd like to hear how single CD posters, who will be alone on Christmas and New Years, or Hanukkah, will be spending their days until January 2nd.

Will you cook up a storm for yourself?
Will you buy yourself something special?
Maybe build a fire and read with pets close by?
Or do home projects, hobbies?
Or possibly no real plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,229 times
I deal with being completely alone by not acknowledging the holidays; treating them as just another day feels better than making a pathetic attempt at celebration.

I was never really into them though; I observed them -lavishly- for the children's sake. Now with an empty nest I can ignore them which was what I really wanted to do all those decades anyway.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I deal with being completely alone by not acknowledging the holidays; treating them as just another day feels better than making a pathetic attempt at celebration.

I was never really into them though; I observed them -lavishly- for the children's sake. Now with an empty nest I can ignore them which was what I really wanted to do all those decades anyway.

Whatever gets you through....

I don't particularly ignore them but wouldn't say I'll be celebrating either. This year I ordered from Zabar's, the NY deli, some of their famous Cinnamon babka, their bagels and cherry blintzes, their cheese sticks, several cheeses, and biscotti...all to enjoy for the holidays. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables will be in among all the goodies.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
My typical solo Christmas tradition is to get myself new fuzzy pajamas and wear them on Christmas eve. I usually wake up to a breakfast casserole cooking overnight in the crock pot which I enjoy with a cup of coffee and a little bit of egg nog. I watch "Love Actually" and then the Disney parade. Then I start a 1000 piece puzzle which will work on all day while watching musicals (still in my new fuzzy pajamas). Later in the day I'll finally get around to taking a shower, and then I'll cook something special for dinner (I'm not much of a cook, so I try to stretch a bit on Christmas).

This year, I'm going up to my sister's to house/dog sit for her while she takes her kids to Orlando. So I may have to adjust my tradition and menu slightly, but for the most part things will remain the same, other than being joined by a couple pups.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My typical solo Christmas tradition is to get myself new fuzzy pajamas and wear them on Christmas eve. I usually wake up to a breakfast casserole cooking overnight in the crock pot which I enjoy with a cup of coffee and a little bit of egg nog. I watch "Love Actually" and then the Disney parade. Then I start a 1000 piece puzzle which will work on all day while watching musicals (still in my new fuzzy pajamas). Later in the day I'll finally get around to taking a shower, and then I'll cook something special for dinner (I'm not much of a cook, so I try to stretch a bit on Christmas).

This year, I'm going up to my sister's to house/dog sit for her while she takes her kids to Orlando. So I may have to adjust my tradition and menu slightly, but for the most part things will remain the same, other than being joined by a couple pups.

Sounds like a great plan...low key but special. Like the pj idea...

And overnight casserole...I might need to look up on allrecipes and do the same....ready when you get up, with coffee!

Have pleasant stay with the dogs.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Again this year, I'd like to hear how single CD posters, who will be alone on Christmas and New Years, or Hanukkah, will be spending their days until January 2nd.

Will you cook up a storm for yourself?
Will you buy yourself something special?
Maybe build a fire and read with pets close by?
Or do home projects, hobbies?
Or possibly no real plans?
I won't be alone Christmas Day, but if I was I'd probably spend it playing Christmas Carols on guitar and piano, Mod cut., playing more music, and then drinking beer and watching movies at night. You asked...

As for the time in between Xmas and New Years, I will be alone, and I will spend it the way I spend that time period every year ... trying to figure out how to get myself into a career that means something to me (or this world), and trying to figure out how to best spend the remainder of my life...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2018 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate; TMI.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM

You'll be having more fun than some on Christmas...

Don't smirk, but have you heard of life coaches? They work with people who
really are stuck and can't figure out what to do next for themselves as far as employment and life goals.

Or a family friend, parents, counselor etc. Someone you can be honest with...your MD?
When we are stuck, many times it takes another person to pull us out.

Have you been to college or have skilled training? Your job future is important and the rest will work itself out if you can find something you're interested in...I was there once, and remember...

Think of your hobbies...anything there? Or consider the jobs that have openings frequent, like medical field. I knew someone who worked himself through college to become a high school band leader, incorporating his love of music...could you find work in a music store while considering your future??

Do you have the initiative?? Nothing changes if nothing changes...

Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I won't be alone this Christmas, for a change. While I still haven't decorated at all, I will put up a tree this weekend, as well as stockings. It feels so strange to be doing this stuff after a decade of doing nothing and mostly being alone. I'm trying to be excited about it and appreciate it. While I'm glad I finally won't be alone, it kind of feels bittersweet. I don't know how to explain it exactly. Maybe its just middle age and a bit of cynicism. Makes me miss being a kid, or having a family of my own. I know I'd be more excited about it if I'd had kids.

In addition, I do have the week off, so there's that. However, my s.o. and I don't have big plans for the week after Christmas. It will be nice to sleep in, go the gym, or just read and binge watch something.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This year I ordered from Zabar's, the NY deli, some of their famous Cinnamon babka, their bagels and cherry blintzes, their cheese sticks, several cheeses, and biscotti...all to enjoy for the holidays. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables will be in among all the goodies.
That sounds great GBH. Nothing better than a NY deli bagel or treat. Enjoy!

An ex-bf from a few years back asked me to get together... maybe... if his plans fall through... how usual of him to say. I left him cuz I was always last on his list, so I'm not interested in cooking him a from scratch meal, again.

So, I'll find an Internet radio station with Christmas carols & play them all day Christmas Eve & Day.

Do yoga, walk on the treadmill or take a long walk if the smell of fireplace wood isn't in the air (slim chance this time of year)... I have asthma, so that just chokes me & chases me indoors.

Go to Costco tomorrow for a crate of grapefruit and/or oranges... love the smell of those during the Christmas season. As a kid, we were very poor so never had a tree... my mum used to place orange peels on the radiator so the smell of Christmas was throughout the house.

I may toss a Cornish hen in the cast iron Dutch oven with homemade stuffing I'd frozen a month ago, if I feel hungry... I'll wait 'til the day of to decide. And, maybe make those pumpkin pies I didn't get around to baking... doubtful, as I'm still nursing a flu or cold or whatever the Valhalla I caught 2-wks ago.

For NYEve... I'm happy to stay home on any drinking holiday... don't wanna be on the road.

I'll watch the ball drop online at 10pm local time, if I'm awake.

I keep up my spirits & just enjoy the holidays alone, cuz next year, I might not be alone... at least, that's always the hope.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, All, whatever you decide to do!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I won't be alone Christmas Day, but if I was I'd probably spend it playing Christmas Carols on guitar and piano, [bleep], playing more music, and then drinking beer and watching movies at night. You asked...

As for the time in between Xmas and New Years, I will be alone, and I will spend it the way I spend that time period every year ... trying to figure out how to get myself into a career that means something to me (or this world), and trying to figure out how to best spend the remainder of my life...
Well thank goodness you won't be alone!!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships