Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd never do this to anyone. Relative or not. I remember the picture existed. It went away when my "future step mother" moved in.

The whole wedding album did also - as well as MANY things that were not her taste, but were valuable, things that were valuable only to my siblings and I, and things she thought were "old".

She never said "I'm giving this to charity. Do any of you want to see if there is anything important to you before I discard it?" NOT ONCE.

I hate fur coats, but like many women of her generation, my mother had many furs. All had her initials embroidered in the satin part. Some how, she kept them.

At my mom's sister's funeral, she came wearing a full legnth mink that was my mother's. Relatives of my mother's were infuriated when she sat during the eulogy and the initials were visible. She also wore her pearls to this event.

SHAMELESS.
That's horrific about your dad's wife wearing the fur and pearls.

Are there any family members in SC that live by your cousin, that could reason with her and maybe get their hands on the picture? Maybe shame her into handing it over?

She sounds awful, it's your mother and father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
OP are you sure there are no other relatives or friends of your parents (Best Man? Maid of Honor?) who would have a copy of this photo...like an original print from the wedding? Hard to believe there isn't another print in existence.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
This whole story is just so sad. It's hard to believe people can be so selfish and cruel, but some can. So sorry for you.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Off topic, but that is bad advice. Once the father married the step-mother, then she became the sole inheritor when he dies. Suing her would not do anything except cause MORE bad blood.
My father died in October 2018. He left everything to his new spouse. His children and grandchildren didn't get anything. Not a picture, momentum or a cent.

In this situation, there is no such thing as MORE bad blood. It's already as bad as it could be.

I am so sorry for this OP, but you aren't alone. Spouses of previously, married with children, people can be heartless. The story of Cinderella has been around forever because it illustrates certain truths.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My father died in October 2018. He left everything to his new spouse. His children and grandchildren didn't get anything. Not a picture, momentum or a cent.

In this situation, there is no such thing as MORE bad blood. It's already as bad as it could be.

I am so sorry for this OP, but you aren't alone. Spouses of previously, married with children, people can be heartless. The story of Cinderella has been around forever because it illustrates certain truths.
I agree that in many fairy tails, there is a kernel of truth, and Cinderella seems to be practically factual, minus the magic.

What happened to you, sounds strikingly similar. I'm so sorry for your recent loss. Having no physical items to connect to your loved one, makes the pain worse. I am without words.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Your cousin sounds like a jerk.

I don't see what you can do if you don't want to spend the money to go visit or don't know anybody that lives in her town that can go visit for you.

You could call her out on Facebook about it by posting a (nice) message publicly on her thread including the picture of your parents ("Hello dear cousin, I would treasure a physical or clean digital copy of this photograph as I don't have any...."). This gives her a chance to look like a hero in front of her friends. You can then post again in the thread if you still never receive it.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Right click on the photo, download it to your computer, upload it to Walmart photo center. They'll mail you the prints.

Then message your cousin and tell her she stinks. No, don't do that, because she may have more pictures. I'd go to her house with a few bottles of wine, then when she passes out, take all your family photos back. Then copy them and send the copies to her with a note indicating that you are a much classier person than she is.

You should have sued your step mom. It probably isn't too late, and for that kind of money, worth pursuing just to tick her off.
THIS!!! x 10

Old 01-13-2019, 01:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
THIS!!! x 10
It's been posted more than once that the Facebook picture is a poor quality picture of a framed photo, so unfortunately the making a downloaded print idea won't work.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:19 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree that in many fairy tails, there is a kernel of truth, and Cinderella seems to be practically factual, minus the magic.

What happened to you, sounds strikingly similar. I'm so sorry for your recent loss. Having no physical items to connect to your loved one, makes the pain worse. I am without words.
The same thing happened to a friend of mine and her sisters. They went to their childhood home to retrieve a few family items after their father had passed away, and the locks had been changed. The b*tch that he'd married after their mother had died ended up with everything.

The stupid man didn't have a will either, so all the money went to the second wife too.

A person like her keeping personal things that SHOULD go to the children is just greedy, and it's cruel.

[B]Let this be a lesson to those who are reading this and might end up in the same boat. Take your dad (OR mom) out for lunch alone and discuss this possibility BEFORE it's too late. [/b]

Last edited by gouligann; 01-13-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 03:15 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
How many other cousins and extended family members do you have?

Send a mass e-mail to all of your extended family (both sides) explaining that you don't have a wedding picture or anything of your parents, Bad Cousin had a wedding picture but says she has since misplaced it, and could others in the family look to see if they have one buried in their old photos box?

If you want to be pointed about it, say that Bad Cousin has misplaced it and won't make the effort to look for it.

At the least,

1) You might get a picture from one of the others.
2) Everyone will know how inconsiderate Bad Cousin is being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships