Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,757,803 times

Advertisements

There's this gas station on my morning commute that I've stopped at a few times. Every time that I've gone in there it's been the same lady behind the counter. There will be a hand full of people in front of me, and you can hear her laughing and joking with the customers. When I get up to the counter I get the cold shoulder, no smile, asks me if I want my receipt and that's it.
This isn't one of those things that I'm losing sleep over, or I feel that I've been slighted in some way, but it makes me curious as to why someone would react like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times
You might remind her of someone else in her past.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
If you're really good looking, she MIGHT kind of have a thing for you, and you fluster her, so she puts up a no nonsense front to you.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,464,898 times
That happened to me at a Grocery Store Deli a few years ago. The lady that worked behind the counter treated me with utter contempt when I would ask for something. One time she told me that the cashiers would weigh my salad (the other attendants always did it at the deli) and when I got to the cashier, she told me that they do that at the deli. I never could figure out why this person was like this and seemed nice to everyone else but we moved and now go to different grocery stores so it isn't a problem now.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:23 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,797,363 times
I've experienced this with former friends since I've lived in the midwest. They just stop communicating for no apparent reason. Its so weird since I'm not offensive or obnoxious. But I live in a very weird city. You're either in "the circle" or you're out. As for just going to stores and stuff like that, no, not really experienced this.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:47 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,629 times
Maybe she doesn't like your hot rod, man! If it's a Chevy, maybe she's a Ford woman.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
A woman working at the DMV hated my guts. This was years ago. Back then I had frequent business to do with them and there was no online anything, so you had to go and wait. I would pray not to get her. She was always pleasant or at least neutral with others in line, but when it came to me she turned into a mean, mean lady.

Turns out she was related to someone who knew my father and she started spreading rumors about me to get to my father and saying I was a b**ch. How did she even single me out and remember my name?! My father thought it was funny but I was horrified and scared to go to the DMV. I have NO idea what I did to her to generate such hate.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
There's this gas station on my morning commute that I've stopped at a few times. Every time that I've gone in there it's been the same lady behind the counter. There will be a hand full of people in front of me, and you can hear her laughing and joking with the customers. When I get up to the counter I get the cold shoulder, no smile, asks me if I want my receipt and that's it.
This isn't one of those things that I'm losing sleep over, or I feel that I've been slighted in some way, but it makes me curious as to why someone would react like this?
It could be as simple as those ahead of you are people that she sees every day. You haven't yet reached the level of a "regular".

But yes, I've experienced people who seem to dislike me when I haven't done anything to make them feel that way. I can usually figure it out though. My former friend's new husband doesn't, I'm pretty sure it's because he has a Divinity degree and I lean towards atheism. We've never had a conversation about it, I certainly don't disparage his beliefs, but I'm still certain he's aware of them, and has made it a mission to keep my friend away from me. Sometimes people at work here in the south don't react favorably towards me with no explanation beyond my accent, which is definitely northern.

I don't lose sleep over it either.

Last edited by Mattie; 01-28-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 02:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
OP, is it possible that she laughs and jokes with friends, or people she knows, but feels you are an outsider?

Some people feel threatened by people they perceive to be outside their “group.”

Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM

892 posts, read 485,371 times
their own issues. kind of hard to 'know' when nobody can read another's thoughts or know their associations with what they see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships