Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever gone out and gotten drunk around other people?
Yes, I think so 63 77.78%
No, I don't think so 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

What the ****? What do you think women over 60 were doing 40 years ago in 1979?

Are you ok?

Getting high on Pot. Mushrooms. Peyote. Morning Glory seeds. Cocaine. LSD. MDA. Opium. Banana peels. Wild lettuce. Loco weed. Gallons of Booze ..... just to name a few things ..... oh, and mustn't forget ...... licking toads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I think the OP is confusing ‘drunk’ with ‘under the influence’

Under the influence means that you ‘feel’ it and it may increase reaction times beyond a safe limit, under the law.

Drunk is consuming enough alcohol to seriously affect your judgement and/or personality and definitely makes it unsafe to operate machinery, walk along a dock or occupied roadway, or make important life decisions.
This. A person can have enough alcohol in their system to make it illegal for them to drive-- especially if they're on the thin side and will get there faster than someone heavier; it's said that if someone has one drink in an hour they can be over the limit-- but it doesn't mean they're what I think of as drunk-- one could be over the limit and not even feel buzzed (yes, I've known at least one person who got a DUI that way; thought he had sobered up, got pulled over, barely blew over the limit).

IOW, by this definition, me having a drink in public at all means I am "drunk in public." Even if neither you nor I can tell. If you want to get on your high horse about that, feel free. Don't expect me to care.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Better to get drunk with others than by yourself, don't you think, OP?
Not really. DUIs and other criminal and social consequences.

Maybe I should change my cutoff to age 70. There was a time when getting drunk was mostly a male thing, often at bars where women were unwelcome.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Most people who drink in public don't end up with DUIs or other criminal charges.

So was this thread created to try and shame poeple?

Quote:
Maybe I should change my cutoff to age 70. There was a time when getting drunk was mostly a male thing, often at bars where women were unwelcome.
Why must there be a cutoff age? You don't think women drank in the 40s and 50s, or even before then?

Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
You are aware social get togethers (ie "with others") can take place in private homes with no one driving? Also taxis, Uber etc.

One can be intoxicated without being obnoxious or behaving criminally.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,417 times
Quote:

I’m almost 70 and women were most certainly welcome in bars in the 1960’s. Lots of cocktail parties in the ‘50’s. You have some strange ideas. Have you ever heard of the roaring twenties? Getting drunk in public is not a good thing to do I agree. But public drinking is not illegal and designated drivers can and should mitigate DUI’s.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:

So... 1969? Yeah, there were no bars or cocktail parties or dinner parties where couples socialized back then. None at all.

Again, are you okay? I don't remember you posting things like this before.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Most people who drink in public don't end up with DUIs or other criminal charges.
Most people probably have risked it. Many more drivers out there are drunk than are caught driving under the influence.
https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/6/2/158

Quote:
So was this thread created to try and shame poeple?
No. I assume that many cut down on drinking years ago, and it would hardly accomplish anything regardless.

I stand by my point that way back when drunkenness was significantly male. Since that changed, I guess a history of ever being drunk has become the norm.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Might as well post a poll asking if participants think they have ever farted. Statistically you'd probably get the same results. And I say that as someone who rarely drinks.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Most people probably have risked it. Many more drivers out there are drunk than are caught driving under the influence.
https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/6/2/158

No. I assume that many cut down on drinking years ago, and it would hardly accomplish anything regardless.

I stand by my point that way back when drunkenness was significantly male. Since that changed, I guess a history of ever being drunk has become the norm.
I'm a woman, eight months past 60. Your statement that women my age and older were somehow never drinkers is bizarre.

We could drink legally at 18. The DWI laws were lax before MADD formed and fought for stricter penalties. Cops would pull you over and let you go if you smiled and acted cute and airheaded.

This was a good time to be born, come to think about it. A cop friend of mine told me, "Women your age are invisible. You could drive down a main street, beer in one hand, joint in another, and the cops' eyes will pass right over you."

NOT that I would at this age, because you do get smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships