Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks. Actually I should have clarified, I'm Canada, so in US dollars it's about 10.50 more, if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 03:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
I don't think your being cheap especially if you only have a part time job and have to be careful of what you spend.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:35 PM

96 posts, read 80,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I have two friends, who are a couple that invite me out the movies and I go with them. A lot of times they want to see the VIP showing of a movie, instead of the regular showing. With the VIP showing you get a more comfortable seat and you can drink alcohol.

But it's 14 dollars more than the regular ticket price, and I think that really is a rip off, just so you can by alcoholic drinks on top of that. Even if the seats are more comfortable, the ones they have in the regular theater are fine for me for a two hour length average movie.

Plus the one time I tried the VIP, the seats vibrated with the movie at certain times, when exciting things happened, but I didn't like that and found it distracting. Not sure if all the seats are like that though, but I assume they are.

So I just find it to be a rip off, and will talk my friends out of it, asking if it's okay I just pay regular price, especially since I'm only working part time at the moment. But do you think my friends think I am cheap perhaps though, when they aske me out to the movies? I asked my gf cause she is invited with me but she says she doesn't want to pay an extra 14 either. Or she doesn't want me to pay an extra 14 for her, since I pay for her sometimes. What do you think?

Cheap? Wait for the movie to come out on DVD and get if on loan free from your local library.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:19 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I think the "fancy" theater seats are a waste of money, too... but... if you only pay regular price, you don't get to sit with your friends, right? Which sort of negates the idea of going together?

I'd be more likely to just decline to go, or, on very rare occasions and maybe if I really wanted to see the movie or see it with those friends, go and pay extra.

They might think you're cheap. You might think they're extravagant, or spendthrifts. It doesn't really matter.

but it might be telling if they always expect you to cough up extra but are never willing themselves to sit in the "cheap seats."

Old 03-30-2019, 05:00 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
if they invited you, they should pay

Old 03-30-2019, 05:26 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Why do you care what they think of you and your spending habits?

Old 03-30-2019, 05:32 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Just say, no thanks, my budget doesn’t allow for things I dont use.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
You aren't being cheap, you're on a budget and you're being practical and frugal with your entertainment expenses. Good for you for being careful with your finances! Maybe your spendthrift friends don't need to operate on a careful budget and they forget that you do need to.

Just say no to them and explain that you can't afford their kind of luxury expenses. If you want to go to the movies in the company of other people invite your GF and other practical, non-spendthrift friends that don't want to spend that kind of extra money.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
People have their own priorities and it is absolutely fine if yours doesn't include upgrading your ticket so you can drink and watch the movie. Even if you were a millionaire, its your money and you get to choose what to do with it.

That being said, it sounds like your friends like to be able to drink and enjoy the chair upgrade so I don't think you should try to talk them out of that. Just politely decline, not using the $14 as an excuse, but knowing that is part of the package and you aren't interested. So just say no, you don't want to go. And maybe help keep up the friendship by maybe having friends over for a game or movie night at your place, BYOB perhaps. Or even look for other fun opportunities for you and your friends that is in your budget and keeps their interests in mind too.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
if they invited you, they should pay
Uhhh...no. They are buddies hanging out, not people going on a date or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships