Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:05 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah for sure, my dad isn’t a fan of me moving either and it created a lot of tension. The idea that you should continue to live somewhere you hate simply because someone else is there - anyone, wife, husband, parent, friend - is totally ridiculous. I also don’t know what these unrelated and equally idiotic comments are here about “job, money, job.” Dude wow life isn’t about some numbers, it’s about happiness and if you can’t find it where you live, it’s time to move. It’s a cute idea that everywhere is great it’s just your attitude but that’s not reality. In my city I can’t go get a nice dinner after 9, it’s not happening, and I’m a night owl - a provable, unalterable biological chronotype like any other that isn’t going away. So I won’t be happy in a sleepy city, bottom line. When I want to go out and have fun, I don’t want boring cities, I want the Las Vegas Strip at my disposal. When I pay my taxes I don’t want to file a state return for where I live, because I don’t want to pay state taxes. When I drive on a road I don’t want to be stuck in traffic forever. Where you live matters and to me most places suck, I wound the want to live there.

As for if it gets better, I think communication is important. My dad and I talked more after things came to a head and I feel like he understood more that I won’t just be unhappy in life living somewhere I detest simply because he’s here for six months a year (he leaves the other half of the year!). People need to adjust and life is way too short to spend even 5 minutes making someone else happy if doing so makes you miserable. Forget them, if they actually cared about you or loved you they want what’s best for you, not them.
Make sure dad has your forwarding address for the monthly checks.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
My mom cried a lot when I married a career military guy. We moved, moved, and moved again. Dad finally told her to stop crying because we had a place to live and enough money to cover our expenses.

She'll miss you, but probably get over it.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
My wife and I are moving out of state. Every time we mention it to my parents, my mom cries. She's against it. I'm 33 and have been at my job here almost 10 years. We're ready for a change, and milder winters, in fact I know we'd be much happier in a warmer, sunnier climate. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get better overtime?

What a shame. 33 and Mom can't let go.

Does she often manipulate you like this? What does your wife -- you know, the person you're supposed to put before all others now -- say about Mom's waterworks?

I imagine your wife is pretty happy about moving to be near her family.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I'm lucky that no one in my family ever gave me grief over leaving the area where I grew up. Actually ALL of us (kids) did, pretty much as soon as we could.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Moms cry. That's just what they do. Stay the course and enjoy your new location.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:01 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Make sure dad has your forwarding address for the monthly checks.
Huh?! My dad and I talk on the phone often and he knows we’ll both visit each other pretty often too. I don’t know what your comment is supposed to imply, I certainly don’t get “checks” from my dad.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:44 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Moms cry. That's just what they do. Stay the course and enjoy your new location.
Lots of crying when its time to go back home in our family too. It's what we do! I start, then my granddaughter starts, then my daughter, my grandson makes fun of us then my son in law cries too. We love each other! Just have the next trip planned.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I just reminded them that they moved away from their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships