Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

I've been told that people are attracted to my energy level, my sense of humor, my wittiness (I won "Most Witty" in high school - har har!), and my enthusiasm. I've always been a cheap date because I get happy and excited about even small things! And I'm sincere about it. I also know that many people, including my husband and my employers, have always admired my industrious nature and work ethic. I've been told that I have a great smile and laugh, but I think everyone has a great smile and laugh when they let it go, and I encourage everyone to do so!

In just about every interview I've ever had, I've told my prospective employer that if I can't have fun while I'm working, I just don't want to be there. I can only think of one job I didn't get offered afterward, and I'm very glad I didn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
I've made a change in the last year or so. I smile and say hi more then I ever used to, and I always say "Have a great day!" People seem to respond to that and it makes me feel good to do it. When I was growing up, I was told I had a black cloud hanging over my head, and I realized (after 50 years) that that attitude was making MY life miserable. Spreading a little bit of joy is way more fun!

Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Pure envy

Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
People who like me do for different reasons. I'm a bit of a chameleon. I can fit into just about any set of people except girly/mom circles, where I cannot seem to keep a look of disdain off my face.

My friends like me for being blunt, efficient, and caring in a practical way. I'm told that they love me for keeping it real... and part of that is helping in tangible ways. I like to do things for people I care about in the most meaningful way possible with as little fanfare as possible. I'm almost always available for them. I cook very well - VERY well - and can put out an amazing spread for any situation very quickly. Sometimes, people just want to be comforted. They say our home is beautiful and comfortable to be at and it's where people drive up, get out in tears, and stay for many hours, while I cook and clean and take care of everyone.

Family who like me do because I'm good at intuiting how people are feeling and am a good buffer to have around. I can put the bombastic ones in their place with minimal embarrassment to them and give room for the meek ones to crawl out and participate. Also, see: I cook VERY well.

Our house is where anyone who needs comforting goes, despite how flat I feel inside about the feelings aspect of their problems. It's a bit of a wonder to me, honestly, because again... I'm pretty blunt.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
People don't like me

Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I put this here because I'm looking to hear what people have been told and I think Non-romantic is a purer kind of liking than Romantic (where looks often factor greatly).

Personally I wonder why people have liked me. I have some educated guesses, but no one has listed many specific reasons. Later I'll write more about that.
Basically, I'm a nice little nobody.

I'm way more loyal and down to Earth than most people, but not as smart or worldly and entertaining as others. I can work a room for a little bit, but only if its an easy crowd.

I don't really spend that much time working on my interpersonal skills. I have too many solitary pursuits. I'm also pretty negative.

People also like me because I don't give a **** about making $ and 'getting mine' so I never roll over people, throw them under the bus, or judge them because of 'where they are' at age 50. But you could also argue that's a negative trait to a lot of people.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:07 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've been told that people are attracted to my energy level, my sense of humor, my wittiness (I won "Most Witty" in high school - har har!), and my enthusiasm. I've always been a cheap date because I get happy and excited about even small things! And I'm sincere about it. I also know that many people, including my husband and my employers, have always admired my industrious nature and work ethic. I've been told that I have a great smile and laugh, but I think everyone has a great smile and laugh when they let it go, and I encourage everyone to do so!

In just about every interview I've ever had, I've told my prospective employer that if I can't have fun while I'm working, I just don't want to be there. I can only think of one job I didn't get offered afterward, and I'm very glad I didn't get it.
I think you're great! I always love reading your responses. You are honest and smart!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I'm a good listener and have a quick wit.
More people like to talk to me than I like to listen to.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I make people laugh. A lot. I'm generally cheerful and positive even when I'm being super jaded. I give good advice when asked. I am quick to help, especially when asked. I pay attention to what people tell me (which friends especially appreciate once they understand how difficult the ADD makes it to focus) and ask questions. I don't mind accommodating the needs of my friends' children. I will help you move. I will help you look for your dog when it is lost. I'm affectionate, and one friend has told me "No, no, Jrz. You LOVE your friends and we all know it." I'm kind of a human golden retriever.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately after making an unexpected friendship.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM

892 posts, read 484,517 times
i take time to get to know people. if i want to know someone, i let them speak for themselves first--not 'tear in' with personal questions they may not be ready to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships